Scale Addiction/ Obession

Options
2»

Replies

• YourLotusFlower11
    YourLotusFlower11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi Fabulous Fit ! I weigh myself everyday and know plenty of fit and healthy people that do also. I don't consider it an obsession or a fault of mine in any way it is simply part of my routine. Saying this it doesn't alter my opinion of my self worth or esteem it is a reminder for me that for the rest of the day I will eat in a healthy way and do my best to exercise in some way even if this means a little 10 min abb work out. Just something to respect my body. If I were you I would not beat yourself up about your behaviour as long as it is encouraging you to make positive and healthy choices for your mind and body. I hope that helps you out : )
    As for anybody on here wanting to criticise my advice or opinion please save it as I will not buy in to your negativity. I am here for a positive and supportive community experience as well as the benefit of my own mental and physical health. : )

^^^ this ^^^

I do it too it's just become part of my morning routine if it's making you upset then it's a different story.
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a week. First time Saturday morning after my 1000 calorie Friday and it shows no change then I weigh myself Sunday after my 500 calorie Saturday and it always shows a reduction for which I am grateful. I can then eat normally again for the next five days knowing that fasting 5:2 works.
  • MEMD1974
    MEMD1974 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just moved and my scale is still packed in storage. Before I moved, I would weigh myself every time I went into the bathroom where the scale was located. Every time. It was mentally exhausting as it would completely change my mood because I was not seeing the number I wanted. When I was at the weight I wanted (40lbs ago), I loved getting on the scale and I loved seeing the number and now I think I equate that to being happy - which is not right either but I have not completely let go of this notion.

Now I have not been able to weight myself since early April, and in a way it is quite liberating. I do think to myself when I am able to get back on my scale in late June if I am going to be pleasantly surprised or upset with the results. I also think if I go to a friends house and they have a scale, am I going to step on it. But I feel afraid to do either - I am afraid that all this effort of eating properly and logging and exercising - which has actually made me feel good - will be erased if I step on the scale and it doesn't show a weight loss. I should not let the scale be my measure of success but I know that I will ... you are right, it like an addiction ...
  • MEMD1974
    MEMD1974 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i was at a friend's house and i didn't even notice they had a scale! i am happy about that - it must not be on my mind as much as i thought it was - or as much as it used to be. i think i will still wait till the end of june before i weigh again.
  • janenightingale
    janenightingale Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have lost the same two pounds over the last three weeks - a bit depressing - BUT I have lost inches and I measured 10 days ago. Plan to measure again in ten days time and ignore the scale as much as possible!
  • genofreek
    genofreek Posts: 75
    Options
    Someone I know is exactly the same way - the number on the scale seems to reflect her self-worth at times.

If it's hurting you that much, get rid of the stupid thing! Do weekly weigh-ins at the gym or just concentrate on something with less fluctuation, like the inches you're losing or the improvement you're seeing.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Your argument is invalid.
    Weighing food/counting calories and weighing yourself every day are different
    Altogether.
    If you don't count calories then you won't know whether you should be gaining weight,losing weight,or maintaining.

Disagree. It's all data, and you can use it to move towards your goal. Also, because of daily fluctuations it's better (IMHO) to weigh every day, at the same time and with the same clothes(none!)

I weigh every day after I get out of bed and after my morning piss, but before I get dressed. If I see that that number moves up one day, I don't stress out. If I see that the number keeps moving up for 5 days, then I know that something's not right and I need to change something.

If I weigh every saturday, and happen to have a fluctuation on one particular saturday, I might think: 'OH CRAP, I'VE GAINED 2 POUNDS' when the fact is that I ate more carbs yesterday and my body held onto the requisite amount of water to help digest them. Now, I might make a change based on a "flyer" rather than making a change based on controlled data. If I weigh every day, I know that I can't really gain 2 pounds in a day, and that my body just decided to keep some extra water and it will pass out in a few days.

No, sir, weighing every day makes perfect logical sense. The key is to just see that number on the scale as "more data" and not let it define you.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning when I get out of bed and I track it on a spreadsheet. I don't see it as a problem. How is it any different than measuring and tracking all your food? Using your logic, that could be considered an obsession too, but all MFP users do it. I view it all as useful tools to staying on track. I find it easier to make small adjustments if the scale trends high several days in a row, rather than waiting a couple of weeks only to find that I've gained 5 pounds. I'm an engineer though, so to me, numbers make the world go round and everything is better in black and white. No gray! :)

I agree ( my dad is an engineer too). I don't want to wait all week to weigh in and then discover I gained 4 lbs. I would rather see the increase and then change the problem right away. I weigh in a lot but only track it on weigh in day.