30 Days "Sober"

Options

Replies

• kbbauchle
    kbbauchle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    AMEN sista!!! I am behind you 100%. I am 10 years free of my soda addiction.......yes ADDICTION!

I couldn't get through the day without it.
    I got headaches from caffeine withdrawal.
    I couldn't function in the morning until I had some.
    I never went anywhere without it.
    I plotted my travel plans around where I could pick up the biggest fountain drink.

Taken from http://addictions.about.com/od/howaddictionhappens/a/symptomslist.htm

Some of the common symptoms of addiction are:

Tolerance - the need to engage in the addictive behavior more and more to get the desired effect
    Withdrawal happens when the person does not take the substance or engage in the activity, and they experience unpleasant symptoms, which are often the opposite of the effects of the addictive behavior
    Difficulty cutting down or controlling the addictive behavior
    Social, occupational or recreational activities becoming more focused around the addiction, and important social and occupational roles being jeopardized
    The person becoming preoccupied with the addiction, spending a lot of time on planning, engaging in, and recovering from the addictive behavior
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I broke up with Dr Pepper in February of last year. I don't miss him so much anymore
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    I think the word "Sober" is reserved for ppl with real addiction problems.
    That come from a place of despair and sorrow.
    That have taken there right to live back.
    Fought for their health and state of mind to be a better human being.
    And NONE of that has anything to do with Soda.

"sober" is not ment to be taken literally, thats why its in quotes. and A LOT of people use that term jokingly to refer to them giving up something they do obssesivly or drink/eat obssesivly including drinking soda.

There are many terms LOT of people use jokingly. Doesn't make it right to use it

N word
    Retard

Theres a few others I won't specify with fear of upsetting the mods but you get the picture. I understand that OP made a mistake without thinking too much of it however as a grown person, she should be willing to accept the consequences of her actions.

My 2 cents: Caffeine IS a drug, it IS addictive. It's not easy to give up. Sure it doesn't ruin your life like other addictions can, but when one makes a conscious decision to give it up, they should be commended and if OP feels that it compares to the word "sober" or wants to use the term loosely, then here in America, she's free to do so.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    AMEN sista!!! I am behind you 100%. I am 10 years free of my soda addiction.......yes ADDICTION!

I couldn't get through the day without it.
    I got headaches from caffeine withdrawal.
    I couldn't function in the morning until I had some.
    I never went anywhere without it.
    I plotted my travel plans around where I could pick up the biggest fountain drink.

Taken from http://addictions.about.com/od/howaddictionhappens/a/symptomslist.htm

Some of the common symptoms of addiction are:

Tolerance - the need to engage in the addictive behavior more and more to get the desired effect
    Withdrawal happens when the person does not take the substance or engage in the activity, and they experience unpleasant symptoms, which are often the opposite of the effects of the addictive behavior
    Difficulty cutting down or controlling the addictive behavior
    Social, occupational or recreational activities becoming more focused around the addiction, and important social and occupational roles being jeopardized
    The person becoming preoccupied with the addiction, spending a lot of time on planning, engaging in, and recovering from the addictive behavior

caffeine withdrawal is a bummer, this is what keeps me from going back. I don't want to go through THAT again!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Sorry but as a nurse in the psych field I totally disagree. Food is just as addicting and is being tampered with by the big companies to become even more so. We have to most difficult addiction to overcome because you "need" no other addictive substance to survive but you need food.
    Congrats to the OP!
  • 1efcahill
    1efcahill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Please "walk a mile" in this young lady's shoes before you judge so harshly and self righteously. Overcoming addiction to ANY drug is commendable and should be applauded. Way to go!!!
  • vick441
    vick441 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Today marks the 30th day I've been soda free! This is huge for me, as I was consuming on average 2 cans of coke a day. That means I have saved myself 8400 calories in the last 30 days from not drinking soda.

I know lots of people struggle with giving up soda. It was hard and continues to be difficult for me. Those who say it gets easier after 7, 14, or 21 days are lucky! ;)

My original goal date was June 7. I'm really hoping when I get to that date, I will continue my ban on soda. *crosses fingers*

Well done! Plus the sugar waste that you didn't feed your body with. A green/herbal tea really helps to reduce that annoying craving besides excellent hydration
  • MerinneW
    MerinneW Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you know anything about addiction, then you know it is not about the substance/activity to which one is addicted. Addiction can apply to anything. Beating it is always hard, and should be applauded.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    If you know anything about addiction, then you know it is not about the substance/activity to which one is addicted. Addiction can apply to anything. Beating it is always hard, and should be applauded.

Not that you're trying to be rude or anything...:huh:
    Addiction can apply to a number of substances from caffeine to alcohol to heroin. But usually the word "sober" refers to alcoholism.
  • MerinneW
    Options
    And precisely who are you to decide what is a 'minor self control issue' and what is an addiction? Her family? Her GP? Or just someone uptight looking for someone to pick on?
  • MerinneW
    Options
    I'm just astonished how many people have taken it upon themselves to pick on this poor lass for a possibly misplaced word, rather than taking her at her word and accepting that giving this up was really hard for her.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

"sober" is not ment to be taken literally, thats why its in quotes. and A LOT of people use that term jokingly to refer to them giving up something they do obssesivly or drink/eat obssesivly including drinking soda.

There are many terms LOT of people use jokingly. Doesn't make it right to use it

N word
    Retard

Theres a few others I won't specify with fear of upsetting the mods but you get the picture. I understand that OP made a mistake without thinking too much of it however as a grown person, she should be willing to accept the consequences of her actions.

My 2 cents: Caffeine IS a drug, it IS addictive. It's not easy to give up. Sure it doesn't ruin your life like other addictions can, but when one makes a conscious decision to give it up, they should be commended and if OP feels that it compares to the word "sober" or wants to use the term loosely, then here in America, she's free to do so.

Yes, I will immediately get to calling all the caffeine addiction victims and tell them that it is ok to use the term "sober". I mean, they did went through the hardship that're the same as alcoholism. They've ruined their health. Their relationships. Their personality. They've probably lost their license and probably their job and career because of caffeinated driving. All for that cuppa :(
  • suchastruggle
    suchastruggle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sweet Tea is my down fall Ive seriously no clue how much sugars in it... Thats awesome you kicked soda to the curb.. Im gonna have to do that with Sweet Tea

I used to be a big sweet tea drinker; then I started going half and half when I'd go out and making it with gradually less sugar at home. Now my preference is unsweetened tea. Regular black tea unsweetened is fine, but my absolute favorite is the Celestial Seasonings Sweet Coconut Thai Chai tea made iced. It's unsweetened, but you really don't miss the sugar. Yummy!! :smile:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    There are many terms a LOT of people get offended by. Doesn't make it right for them to get uptight about them.

;)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    There are many terms a LOT of people get offended by. Doesn't make it right for them to get uptight about them.

;)

And a lot of people use emoticons thinking that makes it okay to say rude and offensive things. That doesn't make it right.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    Wow, REALLY?!! Why can't we just congratulate the OP and move on. Seriously... :noway:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    And a lot of people use emoticons thinking that makes it okay to say rude and offensive things. That doesn't make it right.
    Which rather shows my point :D.
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I really need to quit the soda again. Gave it up for lent and did fine. Felt tons better. Then the 'zero calorie' crap was sitting around the house and I caved and it's crept back in a bit. Not nearly as much as it had been, but it's back a bit. Ugh.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    You can do it AND you've done gr8t thus far!
  • alliebeth88
    alliebeth88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Great job! I know how hard it can be to quit pop/soda, even moreso if you depend on the caffeine. I have a heart arrhythmia and still I find myself sneaking an energy drink here and there even though it could lead to serious issues.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!