Tough Mudder

Options

Replies

• RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome! I just "officially" started my run training yesterday. Yaaaayyyy! :) I'm on my way. I don't know if I'll be able to talk anyone else into doing it with me other than my guy so it will probably just be the 2 of us. I've put some invites out there, but I don't have many friends that are as active as I am these days now. I guess a good problem to have, IMO anyway :)
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Doing the Edinburgh TM in August too.

I can't wait! Done a couple of 10k races these past few weeks and doing another one in July to ensure I keep up my running training.

Been doing loads of body weight and strength stuff too!

My main concern is that the team I'm doing it with don't seem very keen to get to know each other or train together so looks like me and my friend will just need to make some new teammates en route!!
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Doing the Edinburgh TM in August too.

I can't wait! Done a couple of 10k races these past few weeks and doing another one in July to ensure I keep up my running training.

Been doing loads of body weight and strength stuff too!

My main concern is that the team I'm doing it with don't seem very keen to get to know each other or train together so looks like me and my friend will just need to make some new teammates en route!!

ahhhh some of THOSE types -_- lol... I'm sure you two will still have fun, and of course make new friends during :) I sent you an invite to the group if you are interested!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    For anyone that has done the TM, is it true they don't take your time until you last teammate crosses the finish?!? I had heard this and like the idea because it promotes working as a team and no man left behind.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    For anyone that has done the TM, is it true they don't take your time until you last teammate crosses the finish?!? I had heard this and like the idea because it promotes working as a team and no man left behind.

I've actually read from people that have done it (and maybe it has changed) that they don't time it at all. period. It's just a "finish or not" type event.

ETA - the motivation to finish is of course the super awesome and highly coveted headband and t-shirt, the beer, tattoo if you want it..and celebrating with everyone else that was able to complete this feat of awesomeness! :)
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Tough Mudder on Sunday!!!!

I've done one before, so if anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer as best I can.

Tough Mudder doesn't time, they tell you if you're interested in knowing your time you should carry a waterproof watch. There is no race organizer checking everyone to see if you finish with your team. From experience, you will WANT to finish with your team since A) it's all about camraderie and B) you'll definitely want them there to help you with the last obstacle.

When I did my first I wasn't a runner by any means, but I was able to comfortably run 4 miles and I felt I finished pretty strong. Each obstacle is separated by roughly 2 miles (25, 26 obstacles / 11-13 miles depending on the specific course). Usually there is a bit of a line for each obstacle so you will have a moment to grab a breather while you wait.

*Edited to add: If you want to try for the World's Toughest Mudder, you need to check in with an organizer when you start & when you finish since the WTM invitation is only given to the top 5% of finishers.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    I'm doing Tough Mudder on Sunday!!!!

I've done one before, so if anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer as best I can.

ooooohhhhh SWEET!! good luck :) Definitely check in and let us all know how it goes. :drinker:
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There's a limit to when the time is taken... these numbers are not accurate but the gist of it is that it is only for those who are pacesetters. For example, if the typical time to finish is 3.5 hours, they'll take the time down for the people/group who finish under 2.5 hours and after that they stop noting the times although there is a timer/clock at the end.

I could be wrong, but I believe you have to tell them in advance if you want your time marked in that 2.5 hour range and in that case, then they won't count it until your last teammate finishes.

This is all from recollection though, so if it's something you're interested in, please look it up or ask the TM crew.
  • mjboswell
    mjboswell Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a TM in July at Lake Tahoe. My sister talked me into it after she ran one last September. I am so excited. My 13 y/o is counting down the time until he can run it with us.
  • lkcostello
    lkcostello Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I just did the Northern Virginia TM 2013 in April. They do NOT keep time. Maybe if you are one of the elite TM's, but my group was definitely not in that category. Have fun with it. It's wet, dirty and painful. Stay with your teammates and help others out. Just enjoy the fact that you can do it and remember the charity--Wounded Warriors--that you're doing it for.

Loved it!
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Well I'll join in!! I'm not ready to do one yet but my sister's planted the idea in my head she wanted to register for one in the fall but she's also training for a marathon ! so I told her to concentrate on that and I will work on my training so I can be up to par for next year. Really looking forward to reading what you guys are doing to get ready and your experiences!
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If anyone has any questions or needs tips, please feel free to ask. I love Tough Mudder. I do those and Spartans and I will tell you, Tough Mudder has the most amazing amount of camaraderie that I have ever seen.

In April I did Tough Mudder Austin and saw something that nearly made me cry. At the rope wall (Wall 10-12 ft tall with a rope to climb up), there was a heavy man struggling to get over the wall. It was obvious that he wasn't in great shape, but he was giving it his all. Basically everyone stopped what they were doing and stood there to cheer him on. Two people he didn't know got below him to help with his footing and another man got up to the top of the wall to help him up. As he neared the top, the hundred people standing there were yelling and screaming and cheering. Once he made it, the crowd went absolutely insane. It was a "movie-moment" and something that was completely inspiring. This event was the weekend after the Boston tragedy and the West, Texas explosion. I was feeling sad and down because of all of the tragedy in the world. Seeing this lifted my spirits and made me realize that there is still good in the world. We just have to find it. Tough Mudder is a great place to find this.

Good luck to you all!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm joining the group. I'm signed up for the Pittsburgh area TM in late August.

As far as training.... I'm currently doing Insanity (just on my 3rd day now). I also play 5 dek hockey games a week which gets me in pretty good shape. Aside from that, I've been doing some upperbody lifting... and I also go to a personal trainer once a week (I've been going for awhile, but now he's adjusting my workouts to be more of preparation for the Tough Mudder. He's done it before so he knows how to prepare.). I haven't had time to do too much running lately, but I've done a couple of 5ks so far this spring, so I think I'll be ok!

I'm hoping to incorporate a long-ish run every 7-10 days (per my trainer's recommendation). He recommended running maybe about 5 miles or so, but stopping every mile and incorporating something like push-ups or other body weight exercises. We'll see if I am able to fit that in!

Good luck to everyone!
  • patrickblo13
    Options
    Thank you for all the input from the people that have done it already. I am not concerned about my time at all, I just wanted to finish. Personally I would love to see our team finish under 3 hours but that is a tough task. I am just looking forward to the challenge, the team work and doing this for a good cause. I am sickly amped for this and can’t wait. 2 months and counting for me!!!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I ran the Chicago TM on May 18th. I blogged a little about it if you care to check it out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MG_Fit
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    If anyone has any questions or needs tips, please feel free to ask. I love Tough Mudder. I do those and Spartans and I will tell you, Tough Mudder has the most amazing amount of camaraderie that I have ever seen.

In April I did Tough Mudder Austin and saw something that nearly made me cry. At the rope wall (Wall 10-12 ft tall with a rope to climb up), there was a heavy man struggling to get over the wall. It was obvious that he wasn't in great shape, but he was giving it his all. Basically everyone stopped what they were doing and stood there to cheer him on. Two people he didn't know got below him to help with his footing and another man got up to the top of the wall to help him up. As he neared the top, the hundred people standing there were yelling and screaming and cheering. Once he made it, the crowd went absolutely insane. It was a "movie-moment" and something that was completely inspiring. This event was the weekend after the Boston tragedy and the West, Texas explosion. I was feeling sad and down because of all of the tragedy in the world. Seeing this lifted my spirits and made me realize that there is still good in the world. We just have to find it. Tough Mudder is a great place to find this.

Good luck to you all!

This story just made me get all teary. Just..wow
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Thanks! I'm joining the group. I'm signed up for the Pittsburgh area TM in late August.

As far as training.... I'm currently doing Insanity (just on my 3rd day now). I also play 5 dek hockey games a week which gets me in pretty good shape. Aside from that, I've been doing some upperbody lifting... and I also go to a personal trainer once a week (I've been going for awhile, but now he's adjusting my workouts to be more of preparation for the Tough Mudder. He's done it before so he knows how to prepare.). I haven't had time to do too much running lately, but I've done a couple of 5ks so far this spring, so I think I'll be ok!

I'm hoping to incorporate a long-ish run every 7-10 days (per my trainer's recommendation). He recommended running maybe about 5 miles or so, but stopping every mile and incorporating something like push-ups or other body weight exercises. We'll see if I am able to fit that in!

Good luck to everyone!

Sounds great! I'm also cross training with running. Finishing up Insanity as I'm in week 8 now, then on to LMS :)
  • patrickblo13
    Options
    For those of you that have done a Tough Mudder....what kind of shoes did you wear? I assume that once I use these shoes they are going to be completely ruined right?!? I have a pair of cross trainers but looking at trail running shoes, I just don't want to buy new ones to have them completely ruined...
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    For those of you that have done a Tough Mudder....what kind of shoes did you wear? I assume that once I use these shoes they are going to be completely ruined right?!? I have a pair of cross trainers but looking at trail running shoes, I just don't want to buy new ones to have them completely ruined...

I'm wondering the same thing...gonna copy your post over to the group in a new thread for suggestions as well.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I'm wondering the same thing...gonna copy your post over to the group in a new thread for suggestions as well.

Yes, wear a pair of shoes that you don't mind throwing away. When I did TM a few years ago, they were collecting shoes at the end to clean up and send to third world countries.