Are all calories equal?

Options
Hello! I know that it's important to eat healthy but will I still lose weight if I don't eat clean and "healthy" 90-100% ? I like to try and eat my best most days but I may have a day where I eat pizza, Wendy's, or some cupcakes. I still make sure that I stay within my macros but my food choices just may not be the healthiest. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    all calories are equal, but that being said some foods will keep you feeling fuller longer, the more fiber and protein you can get in your diet the better, We all have days when we eat foods not as healthy for us, thats life and these foods are ok in moderation, a piece of pizza counted into your calories for the day is fine, if you are like some of us and could eat the entire pizza that is not so good. Be realistic, remember this a a lifestyle change, not a diet, and all foods should be allowed, just some more often then others.
  • luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    Yes a calorie is a calorie, but (of course there is a but...) pizza calories are loaded with sodium, fat, sugar; where the same amount of calories in fish, veggies and a salad are not. Someone once said on a thread here that you can loose weight eating 1200 calories of candy or 1200 calories of veggies, but you can eat a WHOLE LOT more veggies for 1200 calories, then candy. Your choice :-) . Try focusing your lifestyle change on a weekly basis so that over the course of a week, your calorie intake is within or limit and don't stress if you go over or eat wrong one day out of 7. When I do that, I just make sure it isn't Monday or Tuesday, since I weigh in on Wed. morning :-)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of measurement, so yes.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Yes a calorie is a calorie, so strictly speaking when counting, I think they're equal. That said, I sure feel yucky after eating certain types of calories, so I avoid them, just so i can feel better.

I think it's healthy to balance some splurges in. That's a healthy way to live for the rest of my life!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It depends.

Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Look at my diary and rejoice.

I make sure to hit my calorie macro goals every day. I get enough protein, fat, carbs, and fiber. I eat vegetables. And that's all I worry about.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    It depends.

A pount of feathers weighs more than a pound of rocks? A unit of measurement is a unit of measurement.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie, but the way your body uses calories from different sources can be different.

In general, I wouldn't worry about the occasional "dirty" calorie. This is a marathon, not a sprint and you will have a much better chance of success if you don't make yourself feel miserable and deprived.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You will get may opinions on this question, I am sure.

I eat what I want so long as it fits in my calories for the day (probably 75% better stuff and 25% not so great stuff). I make efforts to reach my protein goal every day at let the rest fall where it may (my protein goal is 150 grams but I am happy at 125).

This approach works well for me.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It depends.

A pount of feathers weighs more than a pound of rocks? A unit of measurement is a unit of measurement.

^So much this.
  • SarahStarr86
    SarahStarr86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Everyone is so supportive :))))) I like to have a "not so healthy" meal on Friday/Saturday. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't ruin all of my effort given during the week. Thank you again!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Everyone is so supportive :))))) I like to have a "not so healthy" meal on Friday/Saturday. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't ruin all of my effort given during the week. Thank you again!

The only thing that will stop your progress is going over on calories.
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Here is my input on the matter. I didn't read all of the replies so I apologise if this is repeated...

Say you have a choice between a hot pocket or a meal of chicken breast, broccoli, and brown rice (1 serving of each). Both of those choices equal about 320 calories. The hot pocket, however is loaded with fat, sodium, and carbs, whereas the healthy meal is full of nutrients and vitamins. So you see, it's not only about counting calories, it's about making the correct choices.

In my opinion, if you are aiming to lose weight and keep it off, you have to train yourself to no longer want those bad foods. Think about it. Think about all the negative effects those foods have had on you. On your body, your mind, your looks, your health. Is it REALLY worth it? To me, it is not. I am no longer allowing those bad foods to make me feel that way therefore I am eliminating them out of my diet. Theres a saying that goes "out of sight, out of mind." Apply that saying to food but change it up a little. "Out of mouth, out of mind." If you no longer eat those foods and choose healthy alternatives, your body will adjust to crave the healthy foods. Don't allow yourself to "cheat" either. Some people say it's ok, but really you are keeping that bad food familiar to you, therefore you are allowing your body to continue to crave it.

If pizza is your favorite meal, there are healthy ways to make it. Pizza hut, or Dominos, or Papa John's is not the way to go. Sorry to put that so bluntly, but it's the truth. Here's a good way to make a healthy pizza: find some low carb and cal tortillas. Spray a pan with some olive oil Pam. Put a little bit of pizza sauce and then add your fav veggies (onion, peppers, mushrooms). Sprinkle some low fat, low cal moz cheese then fold the tortilla in half making a semicircle. Once one side is nice and grilled, flip it over to grill the other side. These come out really delicious! I call them Pizzadillas (like quesadillas) =P

I am sure you can find better alternatives to cupcakes as well. Trust me, if you don't train yourself to make better choices you put yourself at a high risk for going back to your old ways and gaining back all that you lost. This has to be a LIFESTYLE change and not a temporary diet. Best of luck to you!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Here is my input on the matter. I didn't read all of the replies so I apologise if this is repeated...

Say you have a choice between a hot pocket or a meal of chicken breast, broccoli, and brown rice (1 serving of each). Both of those choices equal about 320 calories. The hot pocket, however is loaded with fat, sodium, and carbs, whereas the healthy meal is full of nutrients and vitamins. So you see, it's not only about counting calories, it's about making the correct choices.

In my opinion, if you are aiming to lose weight and keep it off, you have to train yourself to no longer want those bad foods. Think about it. Think about all the negative effects those foods have had on you. On your body, your mind, your looks, your health. Is it REALLY worth it? To me, it is not. I am no longer allowing those bad foods to make me feel that way therefore I am eliminating them out of my diet. Theres a saying that goes "out of sight, out of mind." Apply that saying to food but change it up a little. "Out of mouth, out of mind." If you no longer eat those foods and choose healthy alternatives, your body will adjust to crave the healthy foods. Don't allow yourself to "cheat" either. Some people say it's ok, but really you are keeping that bad food familiar to you, therefore you are allowing your body to continue to crave it.

If pizza is your favorite meal, there are healthy ways to make it. Pizza hut, or Dominos, or Papa John's is not the way to go. Sorry to put that so bluntly, but it's the truth. Here's a good way to make a healthy pizza: find some low carb and cal tortillas. Spray a pan with some olive oil Pam. Put a little bit of pizza sauce and then add your fav veggies (onion, peppers, mushrooms). Sprinkle some low fat, low cal moz cheese then fold the tortilla in half making a semicircle. Once one side is nice and grilled, flip it over to grill the other side. These come out really delicious! I call them Pizzadillas (like quesadillas) =P

I am sure you can find better alternatives to cupcakes as well. Trust me, if you don't train yourself to make better choices you put yourself at a high risk for going back to your old ways and gaining back all that you lost. This has to be a LIFESTYLE change and not a temporary diet. Best of luck to you!

Scaring people off Hot Pockets and Domino's, if they love Hot Pockets and Domino's, are the best way in the universe to set them up for failure and binging.

If you look around on this site, the most successful and happiest people are often the ones who eat things like Hot Pockets, Domino's, ice cream, Pop Tarts, etc., regularly.

The important thing is to hit appropriate macro goals. Thinking of certain foods as inherently bad or unhealthy is flat-out wrong.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A calorie is simply a unit of measure; in that sense, a calorie is a calorie. 200 calories from broccoli is going to provide your body with the same amount of energy as 200 calories of ice cream.

Proper nutrition is a completely different conversation.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of measurement, so yes.

This.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    In for the debate... Again.

Bacon fries, anyone?
    bacon_fries1.jpg
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Scaring people off Hot Pockets and Domino's, if they love Hot Pockets and Domino's, are the best way in the universe to set them up for failure and binging.

If you look around on this site, the most successful and happiest people are often the ones who eat things like Hot Pockets, Domino's, ice cream, Pop Tarts, etc., regularly.

The important thing is to hit appropriate macro goals. Thinking of certain foods as inherently bad or unhealthy is flat-out wrong.

I'm sorry you see that my way is wrong, but it's the truth, reality, and fact. If people truly want to be successful in this, eliminating those things is the best way to go. Not the only way, but the best way. I'll be the first to admit that I love fast food and pizza, but I also know that if I want to change my diet for the better, there are healthier alternatives to those foods. You can have pizza, but there are healthier ways to make it. If burgers and fries are your weakness (it's one of mine) choose a turkey burger and sweet potato fries instead of McDonald's. I'm only advising to choose the healthier alternative.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

So here is an honest question - you guys may be winning me over. I've seen people say there is no extra credit for eating extra nutrients. Nutrients go a lot further than the macros we track here. I have 300 calories left after dinner. How do I know I really hit my nutrient goals and am free to spend those 300 calories on ice cream, or if I should try to eat some more veggies etc?
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    While everyone is trying to be technical...let me give the explanation that I "think" you are wanting to know.

While a calorie is strictly a measurement unit of energy, yes they are all the same, but.....
    Here is the big but. That's like saying a gallon of some really bad, dirty, low-grade gasoline is just as good as as a gallon of high-grade, clean gasoline. No, they aren't. They are both "a gallon", but that doesn't make them equal because one burns more efficiently than the other.

In the same way, healthy food is better calories because they are in a better form for your body to digest and get the NUTRIENTS from. Unhealthy food is processed and has the calories, but very little of the nutrients, or it has nutrients in such a form that your body isn't able to process/absorb it. This is one of the reasons juicing is so popular. It's a very efficient way of getting a lot of nutrients in your body and in a form that your body will absorb.

It doesn't mean you can't eat unhealthy food, but all things in moderation. Those foods, when eaten too much, actually deprive your body of nutrients, even though they technically have the calories. It triggers your body to think it's starving because of the lack of nutrients and will in turn trigger the "fat storage" mode.

So....keep the unhealthy eating to a minimum for optimal health...but splurge once in a while so you don't feel deprived. If you deprive yourself too much, you'll just lose motivation and stop.