I don't know how to stop binging

Options

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    wow. you come here looking for help. a few people suggest OA meetings, telling you to make time (because it's worth it and can actually help you) and you come off all snooty and on the defensive saying how you work 55 hours a week and don't need to be preached to and don't believe in god.

you know, don't ask me tips on how to play soccer, but neglect to tell me you only have one leg.

fine, you don't want to be preached to. i get that.... wait, no i don't. you need to be 'preached to' to overcome your problem. in AA they have a 90 meetings in 90 days rules for newbies, in the hopes that it sinks in. you obviously can't make it due to your job (which we were somehow supposed to just know???). but this is just like the people who bash crossfit without ever having tried a class.

make it to a meeting once. just go. do it. in fact, go to two meetings so you can really really get a good evaluation of the thing. the closest one is 15 miles?? HOLY EFFING SQUIRRL BALLS is that really far away for you?? or are you just making another excuse not to get yourself better? just like the free snacks in the kitchen, and the whole "i sit down for work 8 hour days."

How is saying that I work a lot of hours coming off as snooty? Someone made a suggestion and I shared how it wouldn't work for me and I said "unfortunately I work 55 hours a week." Are you offended that I have an amazing job and am a workaholic? Or are you mistaking my getting pissed at people basically telling me that I'm lazy and being flat out rude when I asked for help?

I will probably never post in the forums again because of this post, the first topic I've created, getting so many *****y responses. I came here because I was under the impression that this was going to be a helpful, safe place, but clearly I was very wrong and I won't make this mistake again.

Girl! IGNORE ALL THOSE NEGATIVE PEOPLE!! Everyone has their own opinions and you don't have to acknowledge or listen to any of the ones you don't agree with!! (This is a free forum on the internet, after all, so you never know what you are gonna get.) There are plenty of nice, supportive people on MFP so don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch. (Please message or friend me or both!)

That being said, I want to say to you: KEEP TRYING!! You will have setbacks now and then but if you stick with it, you can turn those setbacks into SUCCESS!! Just the simple fact that you know you need to change is a huge step in the right direction.

While I've never struggled with serious binge eating, I've certainly struggled with eating all my life because I love food and cooking. That makes losing weight really difficult! I can also identify with changing to a desk job from an active job in a restaurant and putting on weight as a result. I've only recently had some success by FINDING A BALANCE between the healthy food that I need to eat while still allowing myself to have the little treats that make dieting not suck.

I agree with some of the suggestions people have made: Track it before you eat it. Set small goals for yourself and reward yourself (not with food) for reaching them. Get a friend or coworker involved with similar goals. Write in a journal. Go to meetings. Talk to someone (anyone!) about your struggles and feelings. If those things don't work then try something else. TRY EVERYTHING until you find what it is that WORKS FOR YOU! Remember, even small steps can lead to big changes.

YOU CAN DO IT!! DON'T BELIEVE FOR ONE MINUTE THAT YOU CAN'T!!

I want to address the rude person who wrote the above comment @ Capt_Apollo: You should be ashamed of yourself for bringing your JUDGEMENT and HATEFULNESS into this place that is supposed to be a supportive environment. Didn't your mama teach you that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?

Capt. Apollo did not say anything that one could find fault with. He wasn't being hateful at all, he was being realistic. I't hard to "support" somebody who finds excuses to torpedo every suggestion.
  • littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the idea of eating replacement snacks - all it does is change what kind of items you are binging on, you need to do something to gain control of the behavior, not find a way around it.

It is very hard to change your ways if eating lots of carbs. The willpower is useless when you have addiction.
    It is easier to overcome addiction for food gradually, by replacing snacks by healthier snacks, and then perhaps droping it alltogether.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Fruit and water at your desk will help, gum too!

Seriously. You need to start drinking water instead of slushies. And just have the mentality that although it is "free", it is costing you your weight loss AND your happiness with yourself. Which would you rather have: that cup of cheez-its? Or another pound lost?

Also, maybe ask your boss since he's open to providing free snacks if he would consider having things like, string cheese, oat bars, etc...

Bring your own snacks so if you want a bit to eat, you have a healthier choice with you.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    HOLY EFFING SQUIRREL BALLS

Hahaha. Win.
    Posting on a forum and getting offended by the responses indicates to me that you might not be ready to take the actions that are required to overcome addiction. The programs and support will there when you are ready. Good luck.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm taking this from a thread that was posted a while back...

Enduring chemotherapy is hard.

Hitting a fast ball in the major leagues in hard.

Negotiating nuclear disarmament from a hostile nation is hard.

Saying goodbye to a loved one in the hospital or the veterinarian’s office for the last time is hard.

Putting down the fork and telling yourself to stop eating is not hard. Mind over matter. If you want to lose weight and make a change, then will it to happen and be accountable. Make the change
    Not true for everyone.

(Most of the time) Binge eating is an ED and has to do with mental/emotional struggles and imbalances. Just like it's ignorant to tell someone with anorexia to just stop and eat, it's not always easy for someone to control their overeating.

To the OP: I'm really sorry don't really have advice (partly because I've been dealing with a binge eating disorder coupled with depression and anxiety for years), but if you want, feel free to add me or PM me anytime.

I hope that the OP goes back and reads my post on page 5. My binge eating disorder, borderline personality, severe bipolar, anxiety, chronic pain/fatigue, sleep disorders, PTSD etc etc was always treated as "mental/emotional" disorders all of my life. Yes I had a tough childhood, blah, blah, blah. I was treated with various forms of therapy, drugs, went to OA etc etc. While I completely agree with the above that the above disorders have nothing to do with "control" and willpower, I disagree that these are ONLY mental/emotional. The brain is part of the body and it is very much affected by malnutrition.

These are REAL PHYSICAL illnesses and they can be treated by changing WHAT you eat. There really is hope! Please don't be afraid to look at my diary or send me an email. However, you do have to WANT to get better, and that can be the hardest part.

There's some really bad advice in this thread (fill up on water, fruit, chew gum, eat low calorie/low fat/high volume etc etc), please please please look beyond what you see here and really learn about your illness and the dietary treatments for it. Your doctor won't tell you the truth, the diet industry won't tell you the truth, but there are a few health professionals that ARE telling the truth and have published information that CAN cure you. I'm speaking 100% from experience with binge eating disorder, and many other diseases.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Saying goodbye to a loved one in the hospital or the veterinarian’s office for the last time is hard.

Putting down the fork and telling yourself to stop eating is not hard. Mind over matter. If you want to lose weight and make a change, then will it to happen and be accountable. Make the change
    Not true for everyone.

(Most of the time) Binge eating is an ED and has to do with mental/emotional struggles and imbalances. Just like it's ignorant to tell someone with anorexia to just stop and eat, it's not always easy for someone to control their overeating.

To the OP: I'm really sorry don't really have advice (partly because I've been dealing with a binge eating disorder coupled with depression and anxiety for years), but if you want, feel free to add me or PM me anytime.

I hope that the OP goes back and reads my post on page 5. My binge eating disorder, borderline personality, severe bipolar, anxiety, chronic pain/fatigue, sleep disorders, PTSD etc etc was always treated as "mental/emotional" disorders all of my life. Yes I had a tough childhood, blah, blah, blah. I was treated with various forms of therapy, drugs, went to OA etc etc. While I completely agree with the above that the above disorders have nothing to do with "control" and willpower, I disagree that these are ONLY mental/emotional. The brain is part of the body and it is very much affected by malnutrition.

These are REAL PHYSICAL illnesses and they can be treated by changing WHAT you eat. There really is hope! Please don't be afraid to look at my diary or send me an email. However, you do have to WANT to get better, and that can be the hardest part.

There's some really bad advice in this thread (fill up on water, fruit, chew gum, eat low calorie/low fat/high volume etc etc), please please please look beyond what you see here and really learn about your illness and the dietary treatments for it. Your doctor won't tell you the truth, the diet industry won't tell you the truth, but there are a few health professionals that ARE telling the truth and have published information that CAN cure you. I'm speaking 100% from experience with binge eating disorder, and many other diseases.
    Your doctor won't tell you the truth, the diet industry won't tell you the truth, but there are a few health professionals that ARE telling the truth and have published information that CAN cure you

^
    There's some really bad advice in this thread

Lol
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

Not true for everyone.

Sorry. I didn't mean they were ONLY mental/emotional. Just that the ED (compulsive binge eating) has a lot to do with that. Sorry if that was confusing. Sometimes I'm not good at writing out my thoughts.
  • tabithaklein1
    Options
    Honestly I have an emotional eating problem or when i get bored i EAT! And i tend to have those snacks in the house that i shouldnt because i have three small children. I have started going to the next day on my food diary and logging what i Think i should eat the next day. When i do this i have allready planned ahead. and it is easier not to sabotage myself when i have what i am supposed to do right in my face in black and white. (PRINT OUT YOUR FOOD DIARY FOR THAT DAY) and seriously try to eat 6 small meals not three large meals and 12 snacks through out the day. Find you an insolated cooler to bring to work and make small baggies of raw stuff to bring to work along with six water bottles. When you eat Raw foods your stomach fills up faster. Buy portion sizes of peanut butter and cut up an apple. If its about necessity and accesibility then make the food at work not a necessity or accessible. just simple do not enter the break area. even if that means that you eat lunch out on the sidewalk. If the break room has a door ask if it can be closed so that you are not constantly seeing into that door. At night when i am at home i turn off every light in my kitchen and even have a childs lock on my pantry so that when i am tempted and i have to look at that lock all i can think about is I DO NOT NEED THIS. Its about changing your LIFESTYLE not your Diet. Diets come and Go but being commited to a Lifestyle is what is all about. If you want to talk or chat just message me!
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I had replied to this thread in the beginning because I was trying to be supportive and give healthy advice from my heart which understands the pain of being addicted to something and/or out of control but I did not receive a friend request from the OP after I offered to stand by and help and motivate so maybe it was taken as offensive?

The thing the a lot of people forget is that my universe is different from your universe is different from his and hers and the grand puba's. The worst emotional wreck of a day I've ever had is much worse than some people's and comes nowhere near to others'. I have attended all kinds of support groups from "centers" to forums like this (yes - MFP is a support group) and OP your problem is real, whether it's mental, emotional, physical it doesn't matter, it is real to you and although not everyone here will understand exactly what you're going through because we all have different color glasses, the majority of people are truly just trying to offer the best advice that they have from their experience. The quest for relief is a hard one but there are many different paths to solutions, be open-minded, add people who understand your pain, and stick it out. It is SO worth it honey. :flowerforyou:

I love motivational quotes and keep them all over my desk at work:

943585_458231707585349_1071839930_n_zps20347161.jpg

8884_10151361451423707_1572740430_n_zps607c202a.jpg
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i didn't read all of the comments, but i did read through a lot and i only saw one person mention talking to someone at your work about getting some better snacks to replace the bad snacks. i agree that foods like that are a horrible idea for an office full of people who just sit all day for work. why not try talking to someone in HR and see if they can arrange for some healthier snacks? maybe even do an office health challenge!!! if not, i wholeheartedly agree with everyone who has said to bring your own snacks and just avoid the break room area. did you say that the bathroom was in that same area? surely there is a different bathroom you can use - maybe it's farther away, but that'll give you a chance to get up, stretch your legs, and get your blood flowing a little bit. bonus: you avoid the snack area. i've gotten to the point where i might have a cup of snacks or something, i look at it, feel guilty/full/disgusted with myself, and chuck it into my trashcan. boom. a small victory.

i sit/work in an office too and i have to plan a lot of meals and snacks in advance to keep me satisfied. before i decided to lose weight, i had a lot of excuses/reasons why i couldn't make it happen. then i just said "enough, i'm doing this" and i made time for the things that were important. i now get up at 5 AM to lift weights. i meal plan and grocery shop on the weekends. i log foods before i eat them to see what it will do to my macros. you can always delete something you haven't eaten yet!

right now is a great time for you to get control of this stuff. it sounds like you don't have kids or a spouse (yet) to take care of. my life is much busier now that i have a home and a husband to take care of . if you're unmarried and have no kids, you have a lot more freedom with your time. working 55 hrs/week may seem like a lot, but there are a lot of other hours in the week to do productive things. get up earlier to exercise. it's a great way to give yourself energy in the morning.

i truly hope that you are able to find solutions that work for you. the majority of the comments in this are great, helpful advice. you just have to decide whether or not you're going to stop having a defeatist attitude and start making some effort to make these changes in your life, instead of excuses. i don't mean to be rude. i can't personally relate to your situation, but i have seen tons of people on MFP who have changed their lives just by saying "i'm not going to live like this anymore - starting RIGHT NOW." you can totally do this!
  • hauntao
    hauntao Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I'll eat ****ing cans of tomatoes until I puke if that's the only thing in the house. You're using food as weapon. You're giving food so much power. What has helped me is to try to think about food less (when am I going to eat? am I going to over eat? omg I want fries. NO FRIES BAD. Maybe just 5. What time is it? Do we have lettuce?). I hope this helps. I'm battling as well. Binge eating SUCKS.
  • bug1106
    bug1106 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I sent you a message:)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    wow. you come here looking for help. a few people suggest OA meetings, telling you to make time (because it's worth it and can actually help you) and you come off all snooty and on the defensive saying how you work 55 hours a week and don't need to be preached to and don't believe in god.

you know, don't ask me tips on how to play soccer, but neglect to tell me you only have one leg.

fine, you don't want to be preached to. i get that.... wait, no i don't. you need to be 'preached to' to overcome your problem. in AA they have a 90 meetings in 90 days rules for newbies, in the hopes that it sinks in. you obviously can't make it due to your job (which we were somehow supposed to just know???). but this is just like the people who bash crossfit without ever having tried a class.

make it to a meeting once. just go. do it. in fact, go to two meetings so you can really really get a good evaluation of the thing. the closest one is 15 miles?? HOLY EFFING SQUIRRL BALLS is that really far away for you?? or are you just making another excuse not to get yourself better? just like the free snacks in the kitchen, and the whole "i sit down for work 8 hour days."

How is saying that I work a lot of hours coming off as snooty? Someone made a suggestion and I shared how it wouldn't work for me and I said "unfortunately I work 55 hours a week." Are you offended that I have an amazing job and am a workaholic? Or are you mistaking my getting pissed at people basically telling me that I'm lazy and being flat out rude when I asked for help?

I will probably never post in the forums again because of this post, the first topic I've created, getting so many *****y responses. I came here because I was under the impression that this was going to be a helpful, safe place, but clearly I was very wrong and I won't make this mistake again.

a workaholic? maybe. but i think you keep working so much as a crutch to limit your time to devote to your health. i think you refer to it here as an excuse to not confront the real problem.

offended about you referencing your job? no. i love my job too. i work a lot of hours, nights and weekends... but i make time to work out and cook healthy meals. oh, and i'm in grad school too. but this isn't about me. this is about you. why do you work so many hours? are you happy with work and with what it is doing to you?

what kind of responses were you expecting here? i mean, there is only so many ways people can respond to someone that says they have an eating problem. therapy and support groups are a big suggestion. you focused on those because you disliked them. people that said you need to making time to cook healthy and tips to avoid those unhealthy snack were ignored. you focused on the negative, which i'm sure is a constant in your life.
  • _blizzard_
    _blizzard_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Another idea besides Overeaters Anonymous is Food Addicts Anonymous. I stumbled onto their food plan and instantly knew it was for me. http://www.foodaddictsanonymous.org/faa-food-plan There is also online support. This may help some. But I don't think anything will have a lasting effect until you get some therapy or counseling to help you figure out the root cause of the binging. I wish you the best. :)
  • blandwriter
    blandwriter Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's hard when you are faced with free and available snacks. I binge too; in fact, I ate a box of Magnum double caramel ice cream bars this morning and it was my fault for shopping when I had not eaten since dinner last night.

I am currently doing an online "course" in healthy eating through a website called DailyOM. One of the first helpful tips was to try to literally crowd out unhealthy foods by making sure you are eating healthy meals and snacks. I used to think this was hard because I worked so much--but now I am unemployed and job-hunting. And guess what? It's still hard.

It might be worth a try, just for a week, to buy healthier options, like pre-packaged fruits and vegetables, yogurt, etc., and see if you can mindfully crowd out the other snacks. Also, from my previous work experience, depending on your office, I often mistook extreme thirst and dehydration for hunger. I bought a huge water bottle and started drinking water and no-sugar kinds of drinks (like Crystal Light Energy) and it really does make a difference, office environments can be incredibly drying, if that makes sense.

Good luck!
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Its sounds to me like you're not ready for change and are very resistant to changing your lifestyle. Many people go through years of this resistance before they feel they are ready.
    Avoidance will not make this better, I apologise if this is confronting but its the truth.
    Love yourself enough to create a better life.
    *source* Im a qualified counsellor and finished two years of study on people who are resistant to change.

This is excellent advice. In the last few years I've stopped biting my nails, stopped smoking, and I'm in the process of losing weight right now.
    I've only ever been successful when I felt I was truly ready to change.

This. When every ounce of your being is dedicated to making a change, change is easy.

This is why whenever I see a thread, somebody looking for attention ready to give up, I tell them to go ahead and do it, they are not yet ready to be successful if failure is an option.

Remember that the vast majority of advice is a case of the blind leading the blind. 9/10 people will never reach their goals and 19/20 will not keep it off. Unfortuantely that 1 in 20 doesn't have too welcoming of advice usually because they aren't he enablers that the rest are.

I found waldo.

I'm not saying any of this is wrong but isn't true that someone who is ready for change is willing to ask for help. I do see the excuses and I've been the excuse maker in the past and I know that if you are ready you will do what's necessary in spite of
    any challenges....which by the way, we ALL have. Even if she is not ready, this is part of the process. Getting past the excuses and cop outs. Establishing resources and discovering what helps you get through it all. We all have been there during our process. Sometimes we even have to revisit those processes in order to keep that ball rolling. I know you know what I mean.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    TL;DR all the comments, but re: "I work to much and don't have time to "fill in the blank here"....

If you spent 1/2 the time you spend binging on doing something proactive about your situation (ie. attend OA, get counseling, etc), you might have less of a problem to deal with.
  • Mrskatie
    Mrskatie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    First of all, be positive. ALOT of the problem is in your head. You need to change your mindset, and your inner dialogue. Eliminate the negative thoughts, the self loathing, the nasty comments in your sub-conscious. If you wouldn't say it to your best friend, then you shouldn't say it to yourself. Negativity is toxic and it becomes you. You start to buy into what you tell yourself, so ONLY positive thoughts, feelings and comments.
    Even if you mess up, don't beat yourself up (because that is when you'll be more vulnerable to eat your sorrow). Tell yourself that you made a mistake (we all do), and then promise yourself to make an effort in the opposite direction.

Second, change your perspective. You tell me, there's an endless free supply of yummy treats luring you every day.
    Every time you have to go past the kitchen, ask yourself:
    Will eating this bring me closer to my goal? No, not unless my goal is to remain at my current weight.
    Will eating this improve my health? No, because it's all crap junk, fat, sugar, chemicals and preservatives.
    Will eating this provide energy? No, because it's all garbage that will end up making me tired, bloated and feeling gross.
    Will eating this make me proud? No, I'm too ashamed to even record this food in MFP.

Third, I know it's clichéd, but I'm going to say it anyway, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail". Bring a cooler to work every day. Fill your cooler with low-calorie, high-protein, high-fiber snacks and meals. And bring a (big) water bottle. Also pack icepacks in your cooler so that you don't have to keep it in the fridge. Keep it right at your desk, and don't let yourself get hungry, but Only eat the food that you bring from home. I also work long hours, and so I find that if I do my food prep on the weekend then it's just a matter of packing a new lunch each night before bed. Use zip lock containers (or bags) and then make up snack packs of cut veggies and fruit, and cottage cheese, small portions of lean cooked meat, salads, small portions of nuts, You can even bring your own popcorn from home (with a SMALL amount of butter and Mrs.Dash seasoning instead of salt. I like chipotle flavour best). Replace the snacks you crave with healthy versions. It's not the same, but once your body gets used to the healthy snacks you'll crave those instead.

Go online for more ideas to websites like the Eat Clean Diet (she even tells you exactly what to put in your cooler!), and Recipe For Fitness (she shows you how to prepare a whole weeks worth of healthy meals in one day). For motivation, read blogs like Mama Laughlin or Skinny Meg (who have both lost large amounts of weight, they're both motivational, not preachy, very honest, and funny).

Fourth, start (if you haven't already) to exercise. Even just walking for 20 minutes will not only burn calories, but it actually will help control your appetite, too! Also, if you're walking then you're not in the kitchen eating, so it's a great habit to use your lunchtime and break-time and go for a walk. Even if it's only down the block and back. The steps all add up, and it will keep you busy.

Fifth, make rules for yourself, and follow them. Like, only drink water and tea. If it's a rule, and you make a choice every day to follow that rule, before you know it you won't even be thinking about the slushies.

Next, remember that YOU DESERVE this! You deserve to be slim, healthy, happy, so give yourself permission!
    Also remember that you didn't get overweight overnight, so don't expect your results to happen overnight. It will take practice to make good habits, and take time for those good habits to show you results, but stick with it.

Lastly, network! Make some friends who have the same goals in mind and talk/chat/email/get together and build each other up towards your common goal!

Good luck! You CAN do it!
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I would do good all day long and always binge eat before bed. I hated myself for it every morning I would feel so sick and gross. Thats exactly it, you just have to ask yourself "what am i doing!?" I also recently went from being a waitress to working behind a desk and there is a vending machine, and donuts, and all that other good stuff. I just remind myself whenever I am tempted that I want this more than the food. What do I want more..to lose weight and feel good about myself or to eat this donut? It is hard, and it will take time. I agree with others, brush your teeth, chew gum, try to avoid the kitchen! If your mother buys crappy food ask her to hide it or put it out of your sight if possible. If my mom buys snacks she'll keep them in the basement where I only go on occassion so I never even know they are there. You can do it! It is all mental. Also, as far as the weight loss surgery goes, it will not do you any good unless you change your eating habits. My mother had gastric bypass surgery years ago. Although it was a temporary fix, she never changed her eating habits and gained it all back. If I were you, I wouldnt even consider it an option. Feel free to add me and good luck :happy:
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Oh..and try to cook your meals ahead. Since you work so much maybe do all of your cooking on Sunday so your set for the week.