Im in WHEY over my head!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    Stay away from the soy protein. It has a lower BVI, increases estrogen, and if consumed in excessive amounts can be detremental to your thyroid.

forgot to mention; i prefer to order all of my stuff off of bodybuilding.com. They usually have better deals than retail stores, they give you free samples of other products, and if you spend enough you usually get to pick a free gift (shaker bottle, etc.).
    I'd like to start using a protein shake after my lifting, but being a vegetarian (lacto-ovo so I still have eggs and dairy, but limited amounts), I don't know which ones to have. If we should stay away from soy protein, does anyone know some good vegetarian protein powders?

Normal protein powder doesn't contain meat... Hence it's vegetarian.
    Thanks for the reply, but protein supplements can contain animal products that I don't eat though (if it's taken from an animal by killing it). I was looking at protein bars in the store, and most of them contained "hydrolyzed collagen" (or something like that, I don't remember the exact ingredient name) which is from animals/animal skin, same for gelatin.

I'll probably just have to read the ingredients of anything if I want to try it.

If I'm not mistaken, whey is a dairy protein, so you should be fine with that.
    Thanks

Oh ok, these are the ingridients if my protein, seems vegetarian?

Instantised Whey Protein Isolate (Milk, Soy Lecithin), Instantised Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk), Milk Solids (Soy), L-Glutamine, Cocoa Powder (2.5%) (Soy), Flavour (Milk), Vegetable Gum (415), Sweetener (955).
  • Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    I was drinking whey for a while and thought it was tasty (I drank the chocolate kind mixed in soy or almond milk) and made meeting my protein goal easy. I did put on some muscle, but did not bulk up. But it made me constipated so I went back to getting protein from food, which I have to think about more.

I didn't try soy protein powder but I did start eating dry roasted edamame to up my protein so I suppose I did switch whey for soy protein. A lot of men think eating soy will give them man boobs, but that's just nonsense. Do you know how many men in the world eat soy as a dietary staple? My husband eats dry roasted edamame a lot too and he hasn't grown boobs yet (though I'm not sure he wouldn't think it a good thing if he did)

*Imagines man growing boobs :laugh: :embarassed:
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, but to confirm.... there is NO WAY for you to hit your protein goal for the day without supplementation, correct?

If so, i would say go with a hydrolyzed whey. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, dymatize, syntha 6, body fortress, whatever fits your macros and your budget. Protip- decide how you intend on consuming this protein BEFORE picking the flavor.

Are you going to mix it with water (maybe you'll be on the go), with milk (you'll always have access to milk?), with almond milk (you'll always have access to almond milk?), blended in a smoothie with each time, etc.

Nothing like THINKING that banana cream, coffee, toffee banana, strawberries n cream, oreo cookie, etc. will be AWESOME until all you have is water.

My suggestion... start off with chocolate. Kinda hard to mess that flavor up. Pretty good with any of the above.

Stay away from the soy protein. It has a lower BVI, increases estrogen, and if consumed in excessive amounts can be detremental to your thyroid.

forgot to mention; i prefer to order all of my stuff off of bodybuilding.com. They usually have better deals than retail stores, they give you free samples of other products, and if you spend enough you usually get to pick a free gift (shaker bottle, etc.).

What should be my protein goal if I lift weights 2 days a week, cardio 3 days/wk, goal to loose fat/weight? Currently at 1500 cal per day + exercise calories.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    True. I've just seen a lot of ridiculous arguments in the forums over someone's intake. Someone will ask if they're getting enough (usually they're getting between 70-120g per day and/or in the 0.8-1g/lbLBM), and others just argue on for pages on end. :ohwell:

Some people just like to argue, even if they don't really know what they are arguing.
    :laugh: True.

tumblr_lxyv5hK7Oo1qcl4f9o1_r1_500.gif
  • crista_b
    Options

I'd like to start using a protein shake after my lifting, but being a vegetarian (lacto-ovo so I still have eggs and dairy, but limited amounts), I don't know which ones to have. If we should stay away from soy protein, does anyone know some good vegetarian protein powders?

Normal protein powder doesn't contain meat... Hence it's vegetarian.
    Thanks for the reply, but protein supplements can contain animal products that I don't eat though (if it's taken from an animal by killing it). I was looking at protein bars in the store, and most of them contained "hydrolyzed collagen" (or something like that, I don't remember the exact ingredient name) which is from animals/animal skin, same for gelatin.

I'll probably just have to read the ingredients of anything if I want to try it.

If I'm not mistaken, whey is a dairy protein, so you should be fine with that.
    Thanks

Oh ok, these are the ingridients if my protein, seems vegetarian?

Instantised Whey Protein Isolate (Milk, Soy Lecithin), Instantised Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk), Milk Solids (Soy), L-Glutamine, Cocoa Powder (2.5%) (Soy), Flavour (Milk), Vegetable Gum (415), Sweetener (955).
    Sounds like it. Thanks!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, but to confirm.... there is NO WAY for you to hit your protein goal for the day without supplementation, correct?

If so, i would say go with a hydrolyzed whey. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, dymatize, syntha 6, body fortress, whatever fits your macros and your budget. Protip- decide how you intend on consuming this protein BEFORE picking the flavor.

Are you going to mix it with water (maybe you'll be on the go), with milk (you'll always have access to milk?), with almond milk (you'll always have access to almond milk?), blended in a smoothie with each time, etc.

Nothing like THINKING that banana cream, coffee, toffee banana, strawberries n cream, oreo cookie, etc. will be AWESOME until all you have is water.

My suggestion... start off with chocolate. Kinda hard to mess that flavor up. Pretty good with any of the above.

What should be my protein goal if I lift weights 2 days a week, cardio 3 days/wk, goal to loose fat/weight? Currently at 1500 cal per day + exercise calories.

Do you have any idea what your lean body mass is? Total body weight - fat weight (from body fat %)? 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass is the baseline. If you don't know your LBM, then you can estimate by using .5g-.8g per lb of total body weight depending on how lean you are.
  • M00NPYE
    Options
    Why do you need one?

...b/c I'm lifting now and my NROL4W book said so... LOL. Honestly IDK, I'm really trying to eat more protein so maybe that is enough for me?? hold on I will make it my diary public...
    I would suggest talking to a nutritionist? People on here are going to give you a huge range for protein, and most of them have studies to back up their opinions, but you can find different studies saying anywhere from 70-200g per day. That's a huge range and hard to determine what's best for you.

The range is different because the people are different. The advice is usually pretty consistent - 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass is the general recommendation.

Ok... so, how do I f... im slow. lol
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Looking for something that mixes and tastes okay with water? I like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Double Rich Chocolate:
    http://www.amazon.com/health-personal-care/dp/B000QSNYGI

Tastes fine, price isn't too bad. I try to hit my protein goal of 130g from food, but fill in the gap with powder after lifting.

I once had a sample of a vegan pea protein powder that was utterly undrinkable.
  • crista_b
    Options
    Why do you need one?

...b/c I'm lifting now and my NROL4W book said so... LOL. Honestly IDK, I'm really trying to eat more protein so maybe that is enough for me?? hold on I will make it my diary public...
    I would suggest talking to a nutritionist? People on here are going to give you a huge range for protein, and most of them have studies to back up their opinions, but you can find different studies saying anywhere from 70-200g per day. That's a huge range and hard to determine what's best for you.

The range is different because the people are different. The advice is usually pretty consistent - 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass is the general recommendation.

Ok... so, how do I f... im slow. lol
    If you don't know how to calculate LBM, jacksonpt has good advice. "Total body weight - fat weight (from body fat %)"
  • M00NPYE
    Options

Do you have any idea what your lean body mass is? Total body weight - fat weight (from body fat %)? 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass is the baseline. If you don't know your LBM, then you can estimate by using .5g-.8g per lb of total body weight depending on how lean you are.

125g...? from my calculations... basically what I should weigh based on my height?
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Why do you need one?

^^ THIS The reason why its different is because the recommendation calculation is about .75 - 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. Take that number into consideration and compare that with each individuals weight is where the 70-200 range probably comes from.
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Whey protein I use natural and as a veggie too. I doubled checked with the sales person that it was veggie.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

Just a suggestion. I usually check out http://www.dpsnutrition.net/ as they have had the greatest selection on such a wide variety of supplements and the only place I have ever seen beat their pricing is Amazon.

I only buy Optimum Gold Standard though. I like how it tastes, mixes with just water, and seem to have less BS fillers than other powders IMO.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was drinking whey for a while and thought it was tasty (I drank the chocolate kind mixed in soy or almond milk) and made meeting my protein goal easy. I did put on some muscle, but did not bulk up. But it made me constipated so I went back to getting protein from food, which I have to think about more.

I didn't try soy protein powder but I did start eating dry roasted edamame to up my protein so I suppose I did switch whey for soy protein. A lot of men think eating soy will give them man boobs, but that's just nonsense. Do you know how many men in the world eat soy as a dietary staple? My husband eats dry roasted edamame a lot too and he hasn't grown boobs yet (though I'm not sure he wouldn't think it a good thing if he did)

*Imagines man growing boobs :laugh: :embarassed:

I know! But I've seen more than one post on MFP claiming it.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting go dairy-free (Whey is derived from dairy) go with hemp. I think it has a great taste! I use Nutiva, but I will also use Phorm Level- 1 whey protein it is supposed to be as close to cold processed to keep from breaking done important nutrients in the whey. I have also used yellow pea protein (ordered on internet) it is pretty good too! I try to avoid the protein powders that have a lot of sugar in them (just my personal preference to keep sugars lower) I was told you need 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight. This is suppose to help build lean muscle. The person who told me this was a sports nutritionist, and I have been trying to stick with it. It seems to be working for me. I am definitely less jiggly...lol.
  • russlynne
    russlynne Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love the Champion Pure Whey Stack. It doesn't hit your nose like most protein suppliments do. My breakfast is 1.6 scoops of Chocolate in my morning coffee. Kinda like a cafe mocha.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    From what I have learned the problem with soy protein is that it is derived from the soy isolate. This is a broken down version of soy, kind of like white flour, the important outer casing has been stripped so the plants natural estrogen is delivered to the body too quickly, and causes a spike in our bodies natural estrogen levels. Soy is also a genetically modified plant for high yield. This causes an issue with how well the body can break the soy down. Since the soy bean is no longer in it's natural form. So here is the key with soy products:
    1) Go with products made from NON-GMO Soy.
    2) Only consume products made from the WHOLE soy bean. Things like Tofu, Tempeh, Edamame, or Protein powder made from the WHOLE, NON-GMO soy bean :wink: Hope this helps you to make a choice on what is best for you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

125g...? from my calculations... basically what I should weigh based on my height?

Yep... that sounds reasonable. But it's just kind of the blanket starting point. Some people can get away with less, some people need more. It all comes down to goals.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all i would take the lifting plan as just that. A lifting plan. I wouldn't even use the diet they try to push as it uses BMI which can be a poor indicator of body composition. It is very generic.

It had me eating around 1900 on off days and 2300 on lifting days. My maintenance is around 1650 on non lifting days and 1900 on lifting days. so if that tells you anything right there.... *sigh*

If you don't know your body fat % i highly recommend you get that checked. Usually if you have a gym membership they are willing to do this for you for free with calipers or a handheld bioempedence meter (these tend to be slightly innacurate).

For now, seeing as how you DONT know your body fat percentage i would go to your diary settings and change your macros around. I have found that if i set my goals to Carbs 40% Protein 30% Fat 30% i end up JUST about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. Again though, i know mine. You may need to adjust once you find yours out.

As far as the other comments regarding whey protein not being vegetarian that is NOT true. I am a vegetarian and have been my entire life. Assuming you are buying QUALITY whey protein they shouldn't be using fillers like collagen and soy. You'll have to check to make sure.

Now, if you ARE capable of getting the correct amount of protein (about 1 gram per pound LBM) in your normal diet, i wouldn't supplement it. There are plenty of people who drink protein shakes or think they NEED a protein bar. That isn't the case assuming you are eating meats, beans, dairy products, etc. Hell, i get 40 grams of protein a day just from greek yogurt. Think of a protein powder as a SUPPLEMENT and nothing more. If you are deficient in iron, you take an iron supplement. If you are deficient in vitamin D, you take a vitamin D supplement. Etc.

The ones i suggested (if you feel you DO need one) shouldn't contain any animal products and if they DO contain any amount of soy (usually lecitihin) it will be in negligible amounts.

Good luck!!