Are all calories equal?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I did not judge you for your choices, I only gave my opinion. You do not have to be so condescending about it...

"I'm sorry you see that my way is wrong, but it's the truth, reality, and fact. If people truly want to be successful in this, eliminating those things is the best way to go."

Just sayin.

Yes, I said that but because keeping those foods familiar to you will keep you wanting them. That is what I meant when I said people choose to crave those things. Only because they keep it familiar to them. Look, this was not meant to become a debate. I gave my opinion and people can either take it or leave it. Like I have said, there is more than one to succeed. I only explained what I believe to be the best way, but again, that is just my opinion.

I applaud to all of those who have come so far and I can only hope that I will be just as successful. :smile:

Oh, I see. Your intent was to come into the thread, tell people that their way is wrong/inferior and that's "fact" and "reality."

But it wasn't supposed to be a debate. You were just supposed to tell all these people whose success dwarfs yours that they're all wrong, and that's that. No debate, no argument, no contradiction. Just your authoritative opinion based on your obvious history of massive success and years of experience.

Got it. Well done.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Body uses more calories to digest different types of foods, even if those foods are calculated to be the same calories.

Also, you can lose weight and be unhealthy at the same time.

And of course just because a path leads from Point A to Point B does not mean that path is an optimal route between Point A and Point B.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: Are all calories equal?
    NO.

One calorie of splenda will turn to plastic in the microwave and into poprocks in your colon.
    One calorie of sugar will turn into crack in your nervous system and into cocaine in your brain.

From now on eat all your foods plain, dry, bland and tasteless. So you can live longer. Sad and depressed. But longer.

SeemsLegit1_zpseb2e59b9.gif
  • magerum
    Options
    In for the debate... Again.

Bacon fries, anyone?
    bacon_fries1.jpg

Funny-gifs-want.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Here is my input on the matter. I didn't read all of the replies so I apologise if this is repeated...

Say you have a choice between a hot pocket or a meal of chicken breast, broccoli, and brown rice (1 serving of each). Both of those choices equal about 320 calories. The hot pocket, however is loaded with fat, sodium, and carbs, whereas the healthy meal is full of nutrients and vitamins. So you see, it's not only about counting calories, it's about making the correct choices.

In my opinion, if you are aiming to lose weight and keep it off, you have to train yourself to no longer want those bad foods. Think about it. Think about all the negative effects those foods have had on you. On your body, your mind, your looks, your health. Is it REALLY worth it? To me, it is not. I am no longer allowing those bad foods to make me feel that way therefore I am eliminating them out of my diet. Theres a saying that goes "out of sight, out of mind." Apply that saying to food but change it up a little. "Out of mouth, out of mind." If you no longer eat those foods and choose healthy alternatives, your body will adjust to crave the healthy foods. Don't allow yourself to "cheat" either. Some people say it's ok, but really you are keeping that bad food familiar to you, therefore you are allowing your body to continue to crave it.

If pizza is your favorite meal, there are healthy ways to make it. Pizza hut, or Dominos, or Papa John's is not the way to go. Sorry to put that so bluntly, but it's the truth. Here's a good way to make a healthy pizza: find some low carb and cal tortillas. Spray a pan with some olive oil Pam. Put a little bit of pizza sauce and then add your fav veggies (onion, peppers, mushrooms). Sprinkle some low fat, low cal moz cheese then fold the tortilla in half making a semicircle. Once one side is nice and grilled, flip it over to grill the other side. These come out really delicious! I call them Pizzadillas (like quesadillas) =P

I am sure you can find better alternatives to cupcakes as well. Trust me, if you don't train yourself to make better choices you put yourself at a high risk for going back to your old ways and gaining back all that you lost. This has to be a LIFESTYLE change and not a temporary diet. Best of luck to you!
    No Papa John's? Yeah, I quit reading after that. A lifestyle change doesn't have to be extreme. Part of health is happiness and if one is unhappy that they "can't" have certain foods they enjoy (lots of cultural foods are high calorie), then IMO it's not worth it. I would have quit fitness a long time ago if I had to quit eating lumpia or pancit.
    So I disagree here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you see that my way is wrong, but it's the truth, reality, and fact. If people truly want to be successful in this, eliminating those things is the best way to go. Not the only way, but the best way. I'll be the first to admit that I love fast food and pizza, but I also know that if I want to change my diet for the better, there are healthier alternatives to those foods. You can have pizza, but there are healthier ways to make it. If burgers and fries are your weakness (it's one of mine) choose a turkey burger and sweet potato fries instead of McDonald's. I'm only advising to choose the healthier alternative.

I eat whatever I want to eat as long as I stay in my calorie goal. I also don't 'work out' or hit my macros.. How I managed to lose almost 60 lbs thus far is completely beyond me. For a new person starting out, just staying within calories is a good focus. Don't make it more complicated than it is.
    So here is an honest question - you guys may be winning me over. I've seen people say there is no extra credit for eating extra nutrients. Nutrients go a lot further than the macros we track here. I have 300 calories left after dinner. How do I know I really hit my nutrient goals and am free to spend those 300 calories on ice cream, or if I should try to eat some more veggies etc?

Do you want the ice cream? - if yes, eat it. If no, give it to me and you can eat veggies :)
  • magerum
    Options
    Here is my input on the matter. I didn't read all of the replies so I apologise if this is repeated...

Say you have a choice between a hot pocket or a meal of chicken breast, broccoli, and brown rice (1 serving of each). Both of those choices equal about 320 calories. The hot pocket, however is loaded with fat, sodium, and carbs, whereas the healthy meal is full of nutrients and vitamins. So you see, it's not only about counting calories, it's about making the correct choices.

In my opinion, if you are aiming to lose weight and keep it off, you have to train yourself to no longer want those bad foods. Think about it. Think about all the negative effects those foods have had on you. On your body, your mind, your looks, your health. Is it REALLY worth it? To me, it is not. I am no longer allowing those bad foods to make me feel that way therefore I am eliminating them out of my diet. Theres a saying that goes "out of sight, out of mind." Apply that saying to food but change it up a little. "Out of mouth, out of mind." If you no longer eat those foods and choose healthy alternatives, your body will adjust to crave the healthy foods. Don't allow yourself to "cheat" either. Some people say it's ok, but really you are keeping that bad food familiar to you, therefore you are allowing your body to continue to crave it.

If pizza is your favorite meal, there are healthy ways to make it. Pizza hut, or Dominos, or Papa John's is not the way to go. Sorry to put that so bluntly, but it's the truth. Here's a good way to make a healthy pizza: find some low carb and cal tortillas. Spray a pan with some olive oil Pam. Put a little bit of pizza sauce and then add your fav veggies (onion, peppers, mushrooms). Sprinkle some low fat, low cal moz cheese then fold the tortilla in half making a semicircle. Once one side is nice and grilled, flip it over to grill the other side. These come out really delicious! I call them Pizzadillas (like quesadillas) =P

I am sure you can find better alternatives to cupcakes as well. Trust me, if you don't train yourself to make better choices you put yourself at a high risk for going back to your old ways and gaining back all that you lost. This has to be a LIFESTYLE change and not a temporary diet. Best of luck to you!

Scaring people off Hot Pockets and Domino's, if they love Hot Pockets and Domino's, are the best way in the universe to set them up for failure and binging.

If you look around on this site, the most successful and happiest people are often the ones who eat things like Hot Pockets, Domino's, ice cream, Pop Tarts, etc., regularly.

The important thing is to hit appropriate macro goals. Thinking of certain foods as inherently bad or unhealthy is flat-out wrong.

I'm sorry you see that my way is wrong, but it's the truth, reality, and fact. If people truly want to be successful in this, eliminating those things is the best way to go. Not the only way, but the best way. I'll be the first to admit that I love fast food and pizza, but I also know that if I want to change my diet for the better, there are healthier alternatives to those foods. You can have pizza, but there are healthier ways to make it. If burgers and fries are your weakness (it's one of mine) choose a turkey burger and sweet potato fries instead of McDonald's. I'm only advising to choose the healthier alternative.

You have a very dangerous way of thinking of this. A way that has been proven time and again to fail and generally lead to bigger issues. I'm glad you're the expert preaching the truth with 5 lbs lost. Seems legit to me. I lost all my weight eating whatever I want and my health markers are fantastic. Good luck with your goals and deprivation.

bush_doing_it_wrong_1_zpsc0ef7292.jpg
  • magerum
    Options
    I did not judge you for your choices, I only gave my opinion. You do not have to be so condescending about it...

"I'm sorry you see that my way is wrong, but it's the truth, reality, and fact. If people truly want to be successful in this, eliminating those things is the best way to go."

Just sayin.

Yes, I said that but because keeping those foods familiar to you will keep you wanting them. That is what I meant when I said people choose to crave those things. Only because they keep it familiar to them. Look, this was not meant to become a debate. I gave my opinion and people can either take it or leave it. Like I have said, there is more than one to succeed. I only explained what I believe to be the best way, but again, that is just my opinion.

I applaud to all of those who have come so far and I can only hope that I will be just as successful. :smile:

You didn't give you opinion, you preached it as truth and the only way.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Scaring people off Hot Pockets and Domino's, if they love Hot Pockets and Domino's, are the best way in the universe to set them up for failure and binging.

If you look around on this site, the most successful and happiest people are often the ones who eat things like Hot Pockets, Domino's, ice cream, Pop Tarts, etc., regularly.

The important thing is to hit appropriate macro goals. Thinking of certain foods as inherently bad or unhealthy is flat-out wrong.

So here is an honest question - you guys may be winning me over. I've seen people say there is no extra credit for eating extra nutrients. Nutrients go a lot further than the macros we track here. I have 300 calories left after dinner. How do I know I really hit my nutrient goals and am free to spend those 300 calories on ice cream, or if I should try to eat some more veggies etc?

This is a good question! And, to be honest, I don't think anyone can truly answer it: we simply don't know what the optimum levels are for most micronutrients. The RDA levels are really just best guesses based on statistical averages, but how that relates to your body and your situation is anyone's guess. However, vitamin deficiencies are not that common in the USA (except Vit D - get more sunlight). Women of course do have to worry more about iron and calcium (and folate if they are/trying to get pregnant).

From my pov, if you've eaten a mix of veggies, maybe some fruit, and gotten close to the RDAs on most of them in a given day and then have some calories left over, knock yourself out on the ice cream. If not, take a multivitamin and then eat the ice cream anyway - it has calcium ;-)
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options

You have a very dangerous way of thinking of this. A way that has been proven time and again to fail and generally lead to bigger issues. I'm glad you're the expert preaching the truth with 5 lbs lost. Seems legit to me. I lost all my weight eating whatever I want and my health markers are fantastic. Good luck with your goals and deprivation.

bush_doing_it_wrong_1_zpsc0ef7292.jpg

This is not my first "go" at losing weight. I have tried to count calories before while still eating the unhealthy things. I failed at it. I lost some weight but then me eating those foods only made me want more so I gave up on it. I have a big issue with will power so eliminating it completely is what's best for me.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say that given the amount of wine I drink (considered an "empty" calorie) and the fact that I'm still thin, then yes. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Cheers! ;-P
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Since weight is the number one issue for health risk, then that should be the first concern. There's a reason why the diet industry is a multibillion dollar industry....................because they sell temporary solutions. If you're going by facts, then the facts are that the average person diets about 7 times in their life. The average success rate of any diet plan is about 10%. That means 90% of the people who did it failed.
    When I started, I was one of those trainers who harped about only eating "clean". Did my clients lose weight? Yep, but a few months later after we were done, they had regained a significant amount. I change my philosophy to one where they didn't diet, but learned calorie control. Consequently, doing this way not only got me more clients, but the success rate (clients didn't regain) was a complete 180. Why? Because I taught them how to balance their life. And when you have balance in life (especially with food) then chances are you're going to stick with it and probably live healthier.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    This is not my first "go" at losing weight. I have tried to count calories before while still eating the unhealthy things. I failed at it. I lost some weight but then me eating those foods only made me want more so I gave up on it. I have a big issue with will power so eliminating it completely is what's best for me.

Your issue is with willpower, and you think the answer to your trouble is to completely cut out a bunch of food you really love, forever?

You think that's the long-term answer?

I hate to break it to you, but never eating Domino's ever again takes a LOT more willpower than maintaining a calorie deficit.
  • JT_Taylor_99
    Options
    In for the debate... Again.

Bacon fries, anyone?
    bacon_fries1.jpg

NOM NOM NOM
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am done trying to explain to everyone. I may have worded things wrongly in the beginning. It's not what's best for everyone, it's what's best for me. Some of your responses have honestly left me in tears because I feel that none of you are understanding where I'm coming from. Thanks for that. Thanks for such great support in something that I feel so strongly about. I am officially done with this...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Just because I just started doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm talking about. Again, I am advising to choose the healthier alternative. If you want a cupcake, I'm sure you can find a healthy recipe for cupcakes rather than buying some Little Debbie's. When I said to eliminate the bad things, what I meant was to eliminate the unhealthy alternative. Why would someone choose to keep craving those things when they have the opportunity to acquire cravings for healthier choices? I know everyone approaches things differently. There is more than one way to succeed. I guess I just find this way to be the best option for me, although it may not be the best for someone else...
    I think for many the "alternative" means that they aren't getting what they really want. There's an alternative to white bread, but it don't taste like white bread.
    Right now there's a buttload of "cauliflower" alternative recipes floating on the site. Sorry, but cauliflower pizza doesn't taste like Papa John's.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I hate to break it to you, but never eating Domino's ever again takes a LOT more willpower than maintaining a calorie deficit.

Unless it doesn't.

Eating a processed diet is ok if the alternative is giving up. Ah must have me Dominoes!

Eating a processed diet is terrible if the salt+fat combo gets people to overeat. Ah love me Dominoes too much!

Two sides to self control. And the processed calories are much more likely to net higher after digestion.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I am done trying to explain to everyone. I may have worded things wrongly in the beginning. It's not what's best for everyone, it's what's best for me. Some of your responses have honestly left me in tears because I feel that none of you are understanding where I'm coming from. Thanks for that. Thanks for such great support in something that I feel so strongly about. I am officially done with this...

Sorry dear, but if THESE posts left you in tears please stay away from the forums, or thicken your skin. This was nothing.
    Good luck.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    And the processed calories are much more likely to net higher after digestion.

What does this mean?
  • lgblack
    lgblack Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My trainer tells me 80/20.....80% good, healthy eating, and 20% you can cheat. He recomends 100% healthy and mindful during the week. He has 'allowed' me to have 1 glass of wine (which I have on Friday night) and if I am going to cheat with non-nutritious food, it is likely one meal on the weekend. I have lived by this religiously since January and have lost the 20 lbs I wanted to lose, and am now a much smaller 140 lb woman than I was the last time I was this weight. This is due to strength training combined with the healthy eating. I have lost a total of 13.5 inches!! So I think his directions of 80/20 have worked well. Now he says I don't have to be as religious with all choices - i.e. if I consume a sweet more than once a week I try not to freak out. - but don't let go of the healthy eating just because I have achieved my goal. Well...sort of...I have now revised my goal another 5 lbs down - I will see how long it takes to remove that. As I will likely go from workouts 6 times a week down to 5 days a week. So without the exercise, I get fewer exercise calories to eat :(