Exercise during your monthly? (for us girls)

Options
Do you exercise during menstruation? How hard?

Is it recommended not to do strenuous exercise during?

Do you find exercising during menstruation to be more painful?

Does it throw your cycle off?

Replies

• arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Studies have been done that show exercise is really really good on cramps! And there is no reason you should not be able to work out during it. :) Just watch your iron, as usual, or you might feel a little droopy.
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I always exercise during my cycle. Strangely, it's the time I feel most motivated. Perhaps because I'm so bloated I want to workout. I read that you can burn an extra 500 cals while perioding, hence the reason we want to eat so much. I try to take advantage of that extra caloric burn && workout hard. However, I'm the weird girl that gets happier and nicer on my period. I had cramps like 3 times & I never get bxtchy. The only thing that happens to me is I eat& bloat! But for girls that do cramp, sex and exercise are great ways to alleviate period symptoms. there's lots of research on it.
  • megedoug
    megedoug Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no reason not to
  • Nikita839
    Nikita839 Posts: 10
    Options
    My Training doesn't change during my cycle.. I am a little tired, but push through it. I find that lifting keeps the bloats away..
  • MelClaire2000
    Options
    Like everything else in my life....a day on my period is like just any other day....minus tampon changes.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I work my *kitten* off even harder because I hate the bloating so much!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options

Same exact way I exercise during any other time of the month.
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I second the no cramps thing. I normally have mind blowing, curl up in a corner and rock myself insane, kind of cramps.
    However, since I have started working out and eating better, I am pain free.
    But, it did delay Aunt Flo...by 20 days. (I just started working out, body adjusting still)

Still ran during. No changes in my daily routine.

Edited to actually answer the question.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything different. Why would I?
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    If it weren't for the blood, I wouldn't even know it was that time of the month so I do everything the same. I have found that I'l lose about a pound a day when I'm on it though. Strange.
  • mommy8777
    mommy8777 Posts: 15
    Options
    I get really bad cramps and exercising helps with that actually. Finding the motivation to do so is difficult but in the end it has always been worth it. Try it at a lower intensity and just listen to your body. Everyone is different, do what works best for you. Best of luck :)
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking of posing the same question this morning... Get out of my head!
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I only miss workouts if its a scheduled rest day or if I am sick. Nothing else is excuse enough to miss sweating out.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Period or not I exercise. The only time I don't is if I get a migraine the night before..

I exercise just as hard any time off the month and usually puts me in a better mood and it does help with the cramps. Most women it can help but I do know some women are in that much pain that exercise will make it worse - I was one of them before I had my kids.

Upping the exercise can alter your cycle in general and it can take a few months to settle down but it does not bother me. I also use a menstrual cup which I found amazing and wished i started using years ago - especially as I can have quite heavy days and dont want it to stop me exercising.
  • dark_angel1554
    dark_angel1554 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do about the same amount of exercise. Though if I was feeling particularly wretched, I would take it down to something like a light walk or yoga.
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Is it recommended not to do strenuous exercise during?

Do you find exercising during menstruation to be more painful?

Does it throw your cycle off?

Yes I exercise during - it helps me with the cramps and generally makes me feel better! I usually start with a walk and then do more depending on how I feel.

I've never heard of a recommendation not to do strenuous exercise, but I'd say do what you are used to.

I don't find it more painful, maybe a little uncomfortable at first, but no less than just sitting around feeling sorry for myself :]

I haven't noticed any exercise throwing off my cycle.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I get migraines with mine sometimes so it all depends how I feel. I have to give up aqua and swimming for the first few days though.
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I don't do any exercise on the first day, simply because I always feel like curling up and reading a book, and generally resting. But on days 2, 3, 4 and 5 I just continue as normal. I guess it's an individual thing, just go with what you feel like doing.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Personally I have a light flow, thanks to BC Pills, so I have no issues working out at the same intensity as when I'm not having my monthly.

I hear it's good to exercise for your cramps; again, thanks to the BC Pills, I don't have those as bad anymore.

I've never had any pain because of exercising during my monthly. Maybe drinking more water will help loosen up the muscles used that might cause some extra pain... You do need more water during this time.

I've never missed a monthly while exercising, but I've noticed if I'm not drinking enough water or eating not so nutritious foods the few days before I'll be a couple days late.

I say exercise, but just like any other time of the month, don't hurt yourself!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I work out during my TOM. It has happened once where i was on a lifting day, and it made my cramps horrible. Other than that, no issues.