Avocado wake up call

Options
SummerMM1
SummerMM1 Posts: 94 Member
So I never ate an avocado in my life. I was kinda of afraid to eat one because my hubby hates them and told me I would hate them to. So I just stayed away from them. I have been seeing an avocado craze spring up and was curious, but still didn't try them. was at a friends of mine house and she had an avocado and cut it up for all of us for part of our dinner so I tried it. I could not believe it, it was not bad at all. In fact it tasted good with a piece of it and a bit of food together. I can do this. So I am thinking I am going to start buying avocados and start adding them to my meals. I know avocados are very good for you so there is no going wrong there.
My friend also taught me that night to add olive oil in the place of butter. You know what you really don't miss the butter at all and the olive oil is so good for you. Amazing what we can learn and try that betters ourselves :wink: :happy:

Replies

• sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yay! LOVE LOVE avocados. We have them as part of our dinner probably 3 times a week.
  • cyndilie
    cyndilie Posts: 52
    Options
    I love them, and they are the perfect filler on those days when I am having difficulty reaching the correct amount of calories.
  • ElizaJay143
    ElizaJay143 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How have you LIVED?!? I loooooove avocados! Seriously, I could eat them every day and not get tired of them, there's so much you can do with them!

Dice them and toss them in salads
    Slice them with a little oil & vinegar
    Mash them with lime and cayenne for guacamole
    Blend them with some buttermilk and spices for some creamy dressing
    Half them and put them on the grill then fill with insalata caprese
    Batter them with egg, flour, & panko and fry them

Oh the things you can do! Welcome to the wonderful world of Avocado! :smile:
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Have you tried avocado spaghetti? Instead of sauce you use avocado. Mmmmmmm.

http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2012/08/creamy-avocado-pasta.html
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I love avocado.
    I love olive oil.

But NOTHING replaces butter. :angry:
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I eat an avocado every day! I get so upset when I'm out of them and the ones in the grocery store are not ripe. :sad:
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I've seen a recipe blending avocado with coco powder and maple syrup to make a chocolate mousse, it sounds interesting but I can't bring myself to waste a beautiful avocado to try it out! Anyone tried it and is it worth it?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    *sobbing*

just...

*sobbing*
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Avocados are mine. All of them. You've been reported.

Seriously though, aren't they good?!
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    WWWWHHHHHAAAAATTT???? Who doesn't like avocados?? They are amazing, period!!!!
  • mikkijane1
    mikkijane1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Nom nom nom nom :love:
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I've seen a recipe blending avocado with coco powder and maple syrup to make a chocolate mousse, it sounds interesting but I can't bring myself to waste a beautiful avocado to try it out! Anyone tried it and is it worth it?

Not worth it. I was disappointed. Avocado and chocolate are two delicious foods that should be enjoyed separately, IMO!
  • SabrinaLC
    SabrinaLC Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado multiple times a week. YUM!
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    Yesssum hooooray for avacados. I discovered them this year as well, but be careful as good as they are for you they also have alot of calories.
  • Mrskatie
    Mrskatie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We LOVE avocados. We eat them on toast with a little salt, they're SO good in place of mayo on a sandwich / burger, chopped into a salad, mixed into salsa for nachos, mashed and made into guac, or to top off baked salmon... oh yum!
    I eat them daily!
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I have only just discovered them this year as well, and O.M.G! Mashed and warmed on toast is pretty much perfection. Sliced into some cuban style black beans, perfection, topping a salad, perfection...

An amazing food.

My life has been enriched
  • JT_Taylor_99
    Options
    Oh great! Now I want Avacado Salsa with chips and a Corona with lime and salt. :drinker:
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I really like avocados. I just started eating them since I joined My Fitness Pal.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    dont mean to make ya all jealous, but i have a a big - no HUGE - avo tree in my back garden. :happy:

my fave way of eating avo is with cracked pepper, a dash salt and a squeeze of lime. mmm!
    a sweet fave is skim milk, avo, a bit of sugar or honey, zhoosh it up the processor and voila! sooo good!!
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options

Not worth it. I was disappointed. Avocado and chocolate are two delicious foods that should be enjoyed separately, IMO!

Thanks. I'll continue enjoying them as they are!