1235»

Replies

• silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    No. Just no. You won't look manly.

/end thread

*giggle*

OP, in all seriousness, there are MANY threads on MFP that can help you out regarding "women and lifting heavy." you will not get bulky or manly, and the level of muscularity you achieve will be determined by genetics, diet, your lifting routine, and TIME. i wish you luck but just do a search first :) xo.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    um...no
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    If you start to notice a bulge in your underwear, back down on the roids.

Bahahahahaha :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh, and how tall are you? 140 pounds of lean mass might not be accurate. Even if it is, no, you won't look manly.

I'm 5 ft 4 and 209 lbs

It is highly unlikely you will have 140lb of LBM, and no, you will not look manly.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Like most women, the OP needs to ditch the idea of a target weight and start focusing instead on a target composition.

Wanna see your abs in bits and peices? Target about 20% bodyfat. What you weight when you get there...who cares.

QFT
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    lifting-weights-bulky.jpg

^^^ This.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    stop what you are doing ...you will get bulky and go into starvation mode....

??? are you being sarcastic?

ummmm yes..

seriously this is like the most beat to death thread on MFP ..

But like others have said, unless you are using steroids you will be fine...

do compound lifts, you will thank yourself six months from now..

Well that wasn't very nice. I have not seen a single thread personally having to do with anything about lean body mass, until tonight I had never heard of it. Sorry for bothering you by posting a thread you didn't have to read.

click on the search button and type "will I get bulky" or "will I look like bodybuilder" or "don't want muscles" "dont want to be manly" you should get a lot of hits..

just curious... does this winning attitude get you a lot of hits with the ladies? :grumble:

concentrate on getting bulky, and I will worry about the ladies...deal?

ahahahahahaha

Sorry, can't resist. That is funny.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Before I started to lose weight, I was at 144.. Ate less, walked and jogged more, got down to 125.. Started lifting weights and now I'm around 133lbs.. Aside from smaller bewbies, I don't think I look manly ;-)
  • toddx318
    toddx318 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just keep the penis tucked between your legs, and you won't look manly at all.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Without illegal-grade injected testosterone, it's basically impossible for you to muscle up and look like a man. Even if you manage to get ripped (after months, even years of hard work), it's very easy to 'soften' it by relaxing your diet slightly and adding a little bit of fat layer on top of your muscle. It's not gonna happen quick and by accident, you're not gonna wake up one day and curse the mirror because you suddenly look too muscular.
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh 16 ounces each The difference is that a pound of fat takes up five times the amount of space as a pound of muscle.
    Okay, I just have to say, this is the most stupid thing I've ever heard. If you use that logic, than there is no such thing as weight. a pound of rocks and a pound of feathers weigh the same, yet we definitely know that feathers weigh less than rocks, right? because it will take much more MASS of feathers to make that pound than it will take rocks. Thus, the same is true for fat and muscle.

THIS IS CORRECT!
    People think muscle weighs more than fat because that is what they grew up hearing. However, that is INCORRECT! They both weigh the same. Lift weights and focus on lifting heavy!

arguing semantics is ridiculous. muscle takes up less space than fat, therefore muscle weighs more than fat if you compare the same volume. it doesn't matter how you say it. if you look at a muscular person and a non-muscular person who have the same overall mass, the muscular person would weigh more because muscle weighs more than fat.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You won't look manly. Having said that, a heavily muscled look is not for everyone and if you have areas where you store a disproportionate amount of fat you should be careful about using direct weight resistance on them. Those parts may end up looking bigger.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for nearly 2 years now. Do I look manly? I weigh 157 by the way.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    We all have different ways of defining this. Lift what you want until you feel strong, but cut back when you stop liking the way you look. A little muscle is good for you, but a lot of the women on this website fit my definition of "manly" or "bulky" looking. So I lift enough weight to keep my muscles strong without a goal of looking like those women. (I'm still in the weight loss phase of my journey, but I know how much muscle I want to have when I reach my goal weight.)

The lifting community here is very vocal, but don't let them bully you into anything you don't like. You know your body, you know what you want it to look like, and no one else is qualified to define that for you.

The most important thing, as always, is to do the exercise you can stick with and enjoy.

I agree with this quite a bit. I am nothing but happy for those women and I'm all about live and let live but I prefer the look of MYSELF less lean and at a bit higher bf% than many of them. Just what I want for ME with no judgement- they look great and have clearly worked extremely hard to meet their goals.

But on the subject of your LBM question, 140 does seem unusually high. It will go down some as you lose but if that we're truly your LMb your frame would be rather large and you may be a tad (not manly, but) a bit on the more muscular side. However I strongly suspect you have miscalculated that number. Google military body fat calculator and take super accurate measurements and maybe try again?

But bottom line what others have said is true- you won't look like a man just because you lift to lose weight!!!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh, and how tall are you? 140 pounds of lean mass might not be accurate. Even if it is, no, you won't look manly.

I'm 5 ft 4 and 209 lbs

Okay, 140 pounds of lean mass "might" be accurate. If you start strength training, eat right, and keep a small deficit you will lose mostly fat. But by the time you are done losing, even with doing everything right, you will have lost some of your muscle mass too.
    I wouldn't set my goal to be 120 pounds. Set your goal to look a certain way, or even to fit in certain clothes.
    You won't look manly, you don't have the testosterone for that.
    Listen to her!
  • FussBucket
    FussBucket Posts: 29
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh 16 ounces each The difference is that a pound of fat takes up five times the amount of space as a pound of muscle.
    Okay, I just have to say, this is the most stupid thing I've ever heard. If you use that logic, than there is no such thing as weight. a pound of rocks and a pound of feathers weigh the same, yet we definitely know that feathers weigh less than rocks, right? because it will take much more MASS of feathers to make that pound than it will take rocks. Thus, the same is true for fat and muscle.

don't confuse density with weight & mass. brush up on your physics.
    we all understand what is meant, so quit arguing.

Bless you. Thank you.