30 Days "Sober"

Options

Replies

• shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Great job! I know how hard it can be to quit pop/soda, even moreso if you depend on the caffeine. I have a heart arrhythmia and still I find myself sneaking an energy drink here and there even though it could lead to serious issues.

Thanks! I still drink a sugar free Rockstar from time to time for the energy. My next step is to stop drinking those, too. I suffer migraines, though, and the caffeine helps with that. Plus, right now it is a tasty substitute for when I am just over drinking water (I get about 100oz a day of H2O).

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. :flowerforyou:

And just a note about the use of the word sober. It was not a mistake. I used the word intentionally. One definition of sober is:
    1) a : sparing in the use of food and drink : abstemious

I am sparing in my use of soda (drink).

However, I am fully aware that our culture tends to associate sober with alcohol use, and I therefore put the word in quotes to indicate I was not using it in the common way. I had thought people would understand that (and I see most of you have, which is great! :bigsmile:)

As I said before, to those who misunderstood the title of my post and took offense to it, that was not my intention.
  • ladyofbugglake
    ladyofbugglake Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great job!

I read somewhere that all carbonated beverages cause calcium to leech from your bones, causing deterioration (particularly in women). So your skeleton is very happy with you!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Great job!

I read somewhere that all carbonated beverages cause calcium to leech from your bones, causing deterioration (particularly in women). So your skeleton is very happy with you!

Heard somewhere? Do you have a source for this?
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My father is an alcoholic who I eventually had to cut from my life and my brother-in-law struggles with sobriety, and I have zero issue with your post title. The quotes around the word clearly show that it was not a typical case of sobriety and your heart was obviously in the right place. Of course I in no way want to diminish the feelings of other posters, I do think it's important to remind ourselves that on MFP we're here for support, not nitpicking -- especially when the intent of the post was clearly excitement about reaching a milestone.

Congratulations on fighting through the soda habit! It takes time and effort to form new habits and it sounds like you're getting there! :)

Thank you!!
  • nycoleyrides
    nycoleyrides Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think the word "Sober" is reserved for ppl with real addiction problems.
    That come from a place of despair and sorrow.
    That have taken there right to live back.
    Fought for their health and state of mind to be a better human being.
    And NONE of that has anything to do with Soda.

You obviously don't understand what its like to be addicted to something out of the norm. That's not nice to short change someones struggle, and who is here for support. You should keep you un-supportive judgements to your self.

Wanting something you shouldn't or cant have can cause despair and sorrow. It a hard place to be in to break ingrained habits. Quitting and a bad habit is fighting for your health and state of mind to be a better human being. It has EVERY thing to do with whatever you are trying to get sober from. Including SODA.

I am addicted to sugar. I trick myself into eating it. And I honestly mean ADDICTED. My boyfriend said ice cream last night and I knee jerk react "I want ice cream" I claimed I never said that and don't remember saying that. But I am pretty sure I did, it makes sense I would say it. I see soda, I want soda, I think candy, I must find candy. I hear wrappers... I am like a dog, ears up, mouth drools.
  • KP556
    KP556 Posts: 10
    Options

i think the word they were looking for would be "abstemious" then again, i dont think she meant to offend anyone.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

You obviously don't understand what its like to be addicted to something out of the norm. That's not nice to short change someones struggle, and who is here for support. You should keep you un-supportive judgements to your self.

Wanting something you shouldn't or cant have can cause despair and sorrow. It a hard place to be in to break ingrained habits. Quitting and a bad habit is fighting for your health and state of mind to be a better human being. It has EVERY thing to do with whatever you are trying to get sober from. Including SODA.

I am addicted to sugar. I trick myself into eating it. And I honestly mean ADDICTED. My boyfriend said ice cream last night and I knee jerk react "I want ice cream" I claimed I never said that and don't remember saying that. But I am pretty sure I did, it makes sense I would say it. I see soda, I want soda, I think candy, I must find candy. I hear wrappers... I am like a dog, ears up, mouth drools.

Sober is reserved for alcohol traditionally. Other addictions are very real, but they abstinence is not described as being 'sober'.
    It's a very sensitive subject for a lot of people who have gone through a lot of pain. I'm sure she wasn't trying to offend people, and she apologized when she had.
    Disagreeing does NOT equal non-supportive.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Seriously! Who gives a shi! that the word sober is being used? Don't you people have lives that do not consist of being the Debbie Downer in a NSV thread? You obviously knew what the OP meant when she used the word "sober." No, she isn't a recovering alcoholic but the word is a great tongue in cheek way to describe her break from soda. You don't like it? GTFO of this thread. Simple. No need to continue to get butt hurt by the OP and the rest of us who don't take semi-humorous uses of serious words so darn offensively. Go cry in a corner commiserating with all the real sober people you know.
    I know I am being harsh but damn.

To the OP: Awesome job kicking the soda. Keep it up!

ETA: And yes, I do have personal experience with both an alcohol and drug user....my father....who never got to brag about being "sober" because it never happened.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Seriously! Who gives a shi! that the word sober is being used? Don't you people have lives that do not consist of being the Debbie Downer in a NSV thread? You obviously knew what the OP meant when she used the word "sober." No, she isn't a recovering alcoholic but the word is a great tongue in cheek way to describe her break from soda. You don't like it? GTFO of this thread. Simple. No need to continue to get butt hurt by the OP and the rest of us who don't take semi-humorous uses of serious words so darn offensively. Go cry in a corner commiserating with all the real sober people you know.

ETA: And yes, I do have personal experience with both an alcohol and drug user....my father....who never got to brag about being "sober" because it never happened.

Unknown_zps12a7ec21.jpeg
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Options

Unknown_zps12a7ec21.jpeg

LAMO you di*k!
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    hmmm
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Unknown_zps12a7ec21.jpeg

LAMO you di*k!

tumblr_m8b9wf4ARU1r6ql68o1_400_zpsfe6f3ff5.gif
  • mark_in_mo
    mark_in_mo Posts: 19
    Options
    Fantastic! I bet you can hit 300 days. :)
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Options

Unknown_zps12a7ec21.jpeg

LAMO you di*k!

tumblr_m8b9wf4ARU1r6ql68o1_400_zpsfe6f3ff5.gif

Thats because I can see you........................................................ALL THE TIME.............O.o
  • JessicaDumont2
    JessicaDumont2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Wow, this all got way out of hand. I guess it all depends on who you talk to, because I am a recovering alcoholic and I don't find her using the word sober offensive. Caffeine is very addictive and I am trying to kick that also.

What gets me is all the people on here that are judging and bashing, and they haven't even been addicted to alcohol or drugs or anything that they say the word "belongs" to.

On topic though, you are doing wonderful. Keep it up, it's very hard to do and I give you props. :)
  • mistyme
    mistyme Posts: 26
    Options
    I never had a problem with soda. I prefer beer and wine.

Congrats on cutting soda out of your diet though. An accomplishment is an accomplishment. :smile:
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Congrats! If you do happen to have a coke in the future, you might even find that it just doesn't taste as good as you remember, which helps you to continue to avoid it later.
  • Cedarwren
    Cedarwren Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I know how hard it is to kick soda, and I'm proud of you.
  • JMRod
    JMRod Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I gave up sodas on January 14, 2013. It was hard but not as hard as giving up my Cheetos. In March, I went to my grandniece's birthday party and they had Cheetos. I avoided them until my year-old grandnephew teased me with giving me one. After a few teases, he actually put one in my mouth. I inhaled and was totally grossed out. That cured me of my obsession. I haven't tried any sodas yet and pray that I find those equally disgusting.:laugh:
  • R_Gibbs
    R_Gibbs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda for lent, and haven't even picked it up since. I used to drink Mountain Dew twice a day almost every day, and I can say it gets so much easier. I tried it after lent and almost had to spit it out. Once you get rid of it for so long, you probably will even lose your taste for it as well.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!