Let's be serious about Paleo

Options
DatMurse
DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
The basic food of paleo are quite effective in satiation in dieting.
However, that is the true reason why the diet works for people who do not count calories. The real meaning of obesity in a world where we cannot calculate energy would be dependent upon how much we eat.

Hypothetical situation in a world where we could not count energy in our food this is the ideal thing that would happen
Person A consumes non processed food until full - 500 calories
Person B consumes all processed food until full - 1000 calories.

They have done studies on satiety and the fullness that food gives you and there was a high connection to the more processed a food was, the less satiety per calorie it would have.

That is not the basis of Paleo, their evidence lies within gluten and sugars which is not the true cause of obesity. Their followers have a cultist like presentation and the scientific community turns against them for being overzealous.

There is no scientific evidence that sugar and gluten causes obesity.
Obesity(Mentally) is cause by blind caloric intake and the weakness of satiation of foods that people consume which is normally processed.
Obesity(Physically) is caused by the laws of thermodynamics of in>out

Some people say "I am on paleo, but I still eat grains/bread on the occasion"
No, you are not on paleo. You are on a proper diet of incorporating high satiety foods with processed foods which should be the basis of a blind caloric intake diet. That is the proper diet to live your lifestyle.

The elimination and full restriction of certain food groups that are not based on a medical condition is the reason why 90% of "dieters" fail. It has to be a sustainable lifestyle.

Some people are fine with elimination of processed foods, but that is not the case for most people.

satiety-index.png

This is the satiety index. As you can see there is a correlation between "paleo foods" and high satiation.

For those who know me know I consume processed foods. I consume many whole foods as well. I am a big advocate of eating many foods with the skin still on it due to the heavy satiation it can offer.(other than oranges). I am a big advocate of moderation while staying within your energy balance. Fruits and meats probably offer some of the heaviest satiation out all the other foods groups.
The best way to live your life is by moderation. That includes lifestyle, practices, and thinking

What I am against are overzealous people who follow a group and argue with little to no scientific evidence.
Their basis is that our ancestors did it, etc.

http://www.ucsyd.dk/fileadmin/user_upload/om_uc_syddanmark/dokumenter/marianne_markers_kursus_NRO/110228_Holt et al Satiety index.pdf
satiety index

Replies

• Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Roasted orange peal with honey and cinnamon is one of my favorite holiday treats.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Roasted orange peal with honey and cinnamon is one of my favorite holiday treats.
    Im glad thats the only thing you grabbed onto the whole thread
    although ill have to give it a try.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    You seem to be on a mission.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Trying to explain why the diet works so people will understand the effectiveness rather than using the argument of reverting back to the stone age.

The original basis is wrong
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Trying to explain why the diet works so people will understand the effectiveness rather than using the argument of reverting back to the stone age.

There are many satiating foods that paleo scorns.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Who the f cares? If it works for folks, and people want to try it. Let em.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    But what do you think about crossfit?

J/k. Interesting information. I agree with you on the ancestral thing:that logic is wacked. However, it does work for some people.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Actually, I find it interesting to understand the WHY of people getting results on the diet. It helps inform some of the things that I could do better.
  • DatMurse
    Options

There are many satiating foods that paleo scorns.

That is true but their basis on no processed foods is what allows it to be a successful diet
  • DatMurse
    Options

Then why even go online on the forums? This is for educational purposes.
  • Chobbes
    Chobbes Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I think his point is that people might be more successful in incorporating their diet into a lifestyle change if it was more balanced and less rigid.
  • DatMurse
    Options

Actually, I find it interesting to understand the WHY of people getting results on the diet. It helps inform some of the things that I could do better.

incorporating multiple factors of why certain diets are successful and your personal preferences are overall key to living a healthy lifestyle. No one is going to follow a strict regiment that they dont enjoy
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

I hear ya! Any run of the mill low carb diet have similar effects on satiety and the reason people find them helpful and healthful. The basic premise of paleo is not a bad one considering the foods are generally considered healthy and eliminates most of the factors that appear problematic in the SAD diet. The major problem I see is the complete avoidance of food groups that when consumed in moderation are perfectly fine, sans any health problems.
  • noahsmama33
    noahsmama33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

J/k. Interesting information. I agree with you on the ancestral thing:that logic is wacked. However, it does work for some people.
  • noahsmama33
    noahsmama33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ^ Pretty funny.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Like any diet that is mass marketed and generates revenue based on some restrictive protocol, backed by science of a very circumstantial nature, we can assume Paleo is joke.

It may have not started off that way. The proponents of the diet perhaps took the fat burning aspect of Atkins, enhanced it with considerations to those who suffer Celiac's disease, lactose intolerance, and other digestive sensitivities, and produced a diet on paper that seems to cast a wide net intended to treat all that is ailing man. I get the same vibe from those that start on prolonged juice cleanses. Now, throw in the multitudes of individuals that suffer from sugar ABUSE, diabetics who are not-so-coincidentally obese, and you have the goose that laid the golden egg. Now, to brand it with some license of credibility (what better models than prehistoric man?!), and you now have something that sells on principle as well as it sells on paper.

As with most things, you probably have good intentions in mind, then you see a paycheck and you begin to serve what got you paid. As the arguments against your diet philosophy begin to stack up, and the "science" that fuels it begins to whittle, you attach your diet to something that simultaneously is developing its own cult-like following: Crossfit.

Worry not, friend. Just as quickly as Atkins faded from our awareness, so shall Paleo. The fact that it is attached at the hip to Crossfit makes it a more tenacious brand of nonsense, but I have faith that it will disintegrate into thin air within the next five years.

I think at this point, those that understand performance, nutrition, training should just continue to do their own thing, and not be so distressed that people are jumping on and falling off wagons all around them. Hell, I've been training, dieting, and progressing the same way for 7 years, and I've never done something so foolish as to eat an orange peel dipped in honey or whatever....

Cheers!
  • DatMurse
    Options

On the topic of crossfit, my training in the gym is very basic.

I do disagree with using olympic techniques for the average person at a high rate.

I seen too many crossfitters utilize those moves at fast rates and with poor technique.
    I have a degenerative disc disease that was onset by a deadlift(It would happen deadlift or not so I do not hold it agianst it).

Those lifts must be respected and they can make you are break you. Faster rate to a point of fatigue will result in form breaking and increased risk of injury.

I am not saying it will happen to everyone, but for an regular person to do it can be dangerous.

But as far as for my statement in regards to crossfit I have no clinical trials/evidence, it is just simply my opinion, what I have personally observed, and nothing more.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options

hahaha
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Ehh, for a lot of people it is less about the nutrition more about the demon-ization of certain foods. That is the only way they can bring themselves to stay away from them. Trust me I am trying keto for a few months and those people get pretty ridiculous in their carb hate. However if that is what it takes for them to lose weight good on them.

If it gets them healthy then whatever. As long as they do no harm to others and any benefits to themselves outweigh the negatives I don't really care.