In Place of a Road Map: Short N' Sweet

Options

Replies

• lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    Options
    I have a question regarding how to begin this method. I have been averaging around 1000 net calories a day for 2 1/2 weeks. I'm not really seeing any weight loss and I am winded during exercise. I have decided to start this method and calculated my TDEE with light activity and a 30% cut to be 1810 (my BMR is 1735.)

Do I just start with that immediately, or do I need to keep adding back calories incrementally each day until I reach 1810 per day? I'm concerned if I just up my calories immediately by 800, I'm going to gain a lot of weight since my metabolism may be slower from the very low calorie intake.

Also, I have a rather slow metabolism as a side effect of a medication I was on. It's been discontinued for a few weeks, but I don't think it has repaired as of yet since I started the low calorie diet around the same time. I'm wondering if I need to have a bigger percentage of cut since I am starting out with a deficient metabolism.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have a question regarding how to begin this method. I have been averaging around 1000 net calories a day for 2 1/2 weeks. I'm not really seeing any weight loss and I am winded during exercise. I have decided to start this method and calculated my TDEE with light activity and a 30% cut to be 1810 (my BMR is 1735.)

Do I just start with that immediately, or do I need to keep adding back calories incrementally each day until I reach 1810 per day? I'm concerned if I just up my calories immediately by 800, I'm going to gain a lot of weight since my metabolism may be slower from the very low calorie intake.

Also, I have a rather slow metabolism as a side effect of a medication I was on. It's been discontinued for a few weeks, but I don't think it has repaired as of yet since I started the low calorie diet around the same time. I'm wondering if I need to have a bigger percentage of cut since I am starting out with a deficient metabolism.

So health issues, don't add to it by taking too steep of a deficit.
    In other words, don't shoot your body in the metabolism by thinking you can be more aggressive and see long term success.

20% while you get going.

Add 200 extra calories a day for 2 weeks, first week should have water weight gain, to much too fast to be fat.
    2nd week is hopefully nothing.
    Then another 200, if any gain after 2 weeks, wait another week. If no gain, another 200. Until you get there.

Since you were aggressive with deficit %, are you being honest with activity level. Truly sedentary desk job and nothing extra on weekends, except only 1-3 hrs of exercise a week? That's it?
    That's fine, especially if it's lifting 3 hrs, but be honest.

A tool is only works well if using it correctly.
  • squaregum
    squaregum Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ItalianAngel73
    ItalianAngel73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have a question re: my activity level. I'm not sure what to set it as. I try to exercise at least 3X a week (at least 30-45 minutes of walking) but should I also take my job into consideration? I work at a grocery store, stocking shelves, and I do a lot of walking at work (I also do a lot of lifting boxes while I'm at work). Not sure if I'm "lightly" or "moderately" active.

Thanks! :-)
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    thanks for all of the info!
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    .subscribing.
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you - im still trying to comprehend. According to my calculations I should be eating 1556 calories.

My stats: 5'6/35yrs old/160pds - BMI 25.8. My BMR is 1497 x 1.3 activity level= 1946 minus 20%= 1556. IS THIS RIGHT?
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options
    Thank you - im still trying to comprehend. According to my calculations I should be eating 1556 calories.

My stats: 5'6/35yrs old/160pds - BMI 25.8. My BMR is 1497 x 1.3 activity level= 1946 minus 20%= 1556. IS THIS RIGHT?

You do barely any exercise then, or just increased daily activity, then that's right. But don't cheat yourself.
  • heybales
    Options
    Hi all,

I have a question re: my activity level. I'm not sure what to set it as. I try to exercise at least 3X a week (at least 30-45 minutes of walking) but should I also take my job into consideration? I work at a grocery store, stocking shelves, and I do a lot of walking at work (I also do a lot of lifting boxes while I'm at work). Not sure if I'm "lightly" or "moderately" active.

That counts big time. Use an activity calculator that includes daily activity options.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ItalianAngel73
    ItalianAngel73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

That counts big time. Use an activity calculator that includes daily activity options.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

Thank you for the link, heybales!

When I have some time, I will read it over thoroughly.
  • FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump :)
  • challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Bump..thanks for the info!
  • vickystrand1
    vickystrand1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks!
  • rebeccarhue
    rebeccarhue Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump. Need to keep this info handy. Thanks!