gym pet peeves

Options
so i've kept quiet long enough about these things, i just keep them in my mind and shoot hate glares, but i don't think i'm alone. i just left the gym, and these are all fresh in my mind. enjoy... comment... share.

#1) people who choose the machine directly next to you.
if the gym is busy, i can understand. but i was literally the only person in this cardio room, and there are at least seven treadmills. why must you hop on the treadmill right next to me? this also leads me to number two.

#2) people who stare at you while you're working out.
i'm over here, dripping sweat, panting while i run. do you think my peripheral vision can't pick up the fact that you are staring at me? WHY ARE YOU STARING AT ME???

#3) people who keep checking your workout status.
you don't need to know how many calories i've burned, how much of an incline i'm running at, how many mets (whatever they are) i've attained, etc. keep your eyes on your own machine please!

#4) PEOPLE WHO DON'T WIPE DOWN THE EQUIPMENT THEY JUST USED.
this should really be number one. i think it's the most disgusting thing. if you hopped on the elliptical for three minutes and were like, "nah, i don't wanna work out today" and left, that's one thing. the guy over here sweating buckets needs to wipe down what he's touched after he's done. EW! and any machine that requires me to sit on it, i don't care to sit on your swamp-*kitten*. please have some common sense!

#5) people who change the channel on the TVs in front of everyone without asking.
self-explanatory.

#6) people who wear excessive amounts of make-up to the gym.
really? and i love when it's the same women who hop on the treadmill for five minutes, walk super slow, then leave.

#7) people who are too sick to even be out of the house, let alone at the gym.
i just watched you sneeze all over that magazine you're reading. and i don't think an intense cardio workout is going to make that hacking cough any better!

#8) people (usually men) who make beastly noises after lifting.
first of all, you just scared the **** out of me. second of all, stop it. third of all (this only happened once), i checked out the weight you lifted after i supressed my heartbeat, and you were benching 75lbs. what?

#9) getting hit on at the gym.
stop it. i'm sweaty, i smell bad, i'm not wearing make-up, and i can barely even breathe because i'm running too fast. you're lucky, because if i had the breath to spare, i would have told you where i was going to shove my foot.

#10) people who bring energy drinks/coffees onto machines with them.
what? that cupholder is for a water bottle, or a gatorade, or anything really except for a hugely large iced coffee with one million creams in it. and it's not for your 42oz big gulp from 7-11 either. or your giant can of monster. just stop it, because i just smelled a combo of your breath plus your sweat. you stank, and you're putting all the calories you're trying to burn right back into your body with that drink.

i don't know if people will interpret this as whining or whatever, but i felt i had to get it off my chest. anyone share these problems? :)

Replies

• craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Seems like you are very concerned about the "environment" you are working out in. I can only suggest to go somewhere else.
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    People who carry around the spray bottles to clean the machines and theres non left.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    #11) People who have nothing better to do than be annoyed by everyone else.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Some people have no gym etiquette! I hate when people don't re-rack weights. I have this kid in my gym who stares, and sometimes talks to himself, in the mirror after EVERY set! Sometimes after abs, he lifts his shirt up to look at them. Bro, they haven't changed since the last set you did two minutes ago!
  • medicvaldez
    medicvaldez Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha You're my HERO!!!

May i just add......
    #1 Meathead who corrects my form when he's been curling his back like Igor- SERIOUSLY??? I was a ballet dancer in my younger days, i think I know what a straght back is

#2 Bambi with the thong who's giving me the evil eye because i'm the fat girl who doesn't belong in the gym...uh...I will snap you in half little girl...

#3 DEODORANT phobic people...i swear i'm gonna take some spray-on Right Gaurd and start a ninja attacking these jack-*kitten*

#4 TXTING or talking on the phone while using the bench press as a lazy boy MOVE PEOPLE I only have a 3 day split!!

LOL
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    People who hog a machine or weight station just to chat with his buddies / girl friends or text. Pump or leave.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @op

3). Some people need competition to drive them.

9) would you prefer they hit in you only when you have just spent a hundred bucks in makeup and about her on your hair being done?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bugs me at the gym is when people do not re-rack their weights. I hate having to go find them and then make sure no one is using that bar with all the damn weights on it. If any of those other things happen, I do not even notice.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    People squating the squat/power rack. That's for curls only.

not srs.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Turning the fan on, using the treadmill for a little while, then walking away and not turning it off. It's winter, and although I'm sweating I'm cold and in an uncomfortable draft. I know, Toughen up Princess ...
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bugs me at the gym is bros who leave 300 pounds loaded on the bar. I don't have time to de-load your weights!
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    Turning the fan on, using the treadmill for a little while, then walking away and not turning it off. It's winter, and although I'm sweating I'm cold and in an uncomfortable draft. I know, Toughen up Princess ...
    Winter? I take it your are from the southern hemisphere.
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    People who don't re-rack the plates correctly, e.g., putting two 45s and a 25 on top of a 5 or 10lb plate.
  • Alyahat
    Alyahat Posts: 1
    Options
    OMG. I thought I was the only one :D
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I will never have this problem, as I don't do cardio. However, some people are creatures of habit. They choose one machine, and stick with it regardless of who is near it. Are they directly interfering with your intense ellipticalling? Probably not.

People look at everyone, everywhere. If I was annoyed by this I would never leave my house.

Again, people's eyes go everywhere. More often than not, they're worried about their own stats, not yours.

Bring a towel and wipe down every machine before you use it, regardless of who was on it before and what they did. Solves this problem pretty easily.

#5) people who change the channel on the TVs in front of everyone without asking.
    Hate the channel that much? Change it back yourself.

People can wear stilletos and push-up bras to the gym for all I care-doesn't affect my workout. If a man wants to walk backwards on a treadmill wearing nothing but a leopard print bra and hot pink boxers, he should go for it.

Better than avoiding the gym after breaking a nail, I'll say

People grunt when they make an effort. If making an effort is an issue for you, you should probably not be annoyed by #6.

People get hit on everywhere. Ignore and move on.

Who gives a flying crap what anyone else drinks? Is someone's cup of joe on their treadmill causing you such anxiety? I think not.

I stopped giving a flying crap about anything and everything else at the gym. Helps your workout, and your results, trust me.
  • Brianna72994
    Brianna72994 Posts: 887
    Options
    My gym has machines in a circle for circuit training. You do one machine for one minute then switch. I HATE it when people choose the machine directly next to mine. Sometimes I like to spend an extra minute on a certain machine and I can't when you're right behind me, waiting for that machine. So frustrating!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I don't have any. I workout at home :)
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    People who only go to the gym to use the treadmill
  • VistaJerry
    VistaJerry Posts: 45
    Options
    I will never have this problem, as I don't do cardio. However, some people are creatures of habit. They choose one machine, and stick with it regardless of who is near it. Are they directly interfering with your intense ellipticalling? Probably not.

People look at everyone, everywhere. If I was annoyed by this I would never leave my house.

Again, people's eyes go everywhere. More often than not, their worried about their own stats, not yours.

Bring a towel and wipe down every machine before you use it, regardless of who was on it before and what they did. Solves this problem pretty easily.

Hate the channel that much? Change it back yourself.

People can wear stilletos and push-up bras to the gym for all I care-doesn't affect my workout. If a man wants to walk backwards on a treadmill wearing nothing but a leopard print bra and hot pink boxers, he should go for it.

Better than avoiding the gym after breaking a nail, I'll say

People grunt when they make an effort. If making an effort is an issue for you, you should probably not be annoyed by #6.

People get hit on everywhere. Ignore and move on.

Who gives a flying crap what anyone else drinks? Is someone's cup of joe on their treadmill causing you such anxiety? I think not.

I stopped giving a flying crap about anything and everything else at the gym. Helps your workout, and your results, trust me.

Lol sums it up pretty well if you ask me. I call it taking responsibility for yourself. People only affect you however much you let them.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    you must have alot of spare time to get annoyed at the gym. i dont notice any of these things, because im busy doing my thing... how can you see them looking at the numbers on your machine, unless your looking at them? as far as im concerned, when im at the gym... im the only one there, i own the planet, its my gym, the world is mine... i dont have time to bother with being annoyed at so many things when im at the gym.