June 2013 plank challenge - for abs

Options
We're only a couple of days away from June and it's time for a challenge. This one has different levels for success so most people here should manage one of them.

Bear in mind that the plank is harder than doing crunches for the abs. It needs balance and control, plus mental stamina. Conveniently it uses bodyweight so you will not need any equipement apart from maybe a mat. However, you will need a low bodyfat percentage in order to SEE results.

Importantly, here is a link on how to do a proper plank. If you can, watch yourself side-on in a mirror for good form.

http://running.competitor.com/2011/11/injury-prevention/challenge-your-core-how-to-execute-a-proper-plank_42052

So, without further ado, this is what we can try to achieve by the end of June.

COPPER: 30s x 30s x 30s
BRONZE: 45s x 45s x 45s
SILVER: 60s x 60s x 60s
GOLD: 90s x 90s x 90s
DIAMOND: 120s x 120s x 120s

Rest time between each set should be as long as the set itself.

I would recommend halving the set you are shooting for and slowly upping increments till the end of the month.

So what are you shooting for?

Replies

• composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well I managed "Gold" last night (first attempt at stepping up from 75s) but with 1 min rests. I guess I'll be aiming for "Diamond" but I I'll keep my rests to 1 min.
  • prillygirl
    prillygirl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm totally doing this. I have endometriosis so my abs are often neglected due to the amount of pain I feel when I recruit my abs for hard work. I'd like to think I can reach the diamond level by the end of June. This is daily, right?
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm totally doing this. I have endometriosis so my abs are often neglected due to the amount of pain I feel when I recruit my abs for hard work. I'd like to think I can reach the diamond level by the end of June. This is daily, right?

Up to you on that. I do them once every two days but once a day is good if you can make it.
  • Lysander666
    Options
    Well I managed "Gold" last night (first attempt at stepping up from 75s) but with 1 min rests. I guess I'll be aiming for "Diamond" but I I'll keep my rests to 1 min.

I'm on 'silver' myself at the moment. Hope to be on gold by the end of the month at least.
  • Herohorse
    Herohorse Posts: 108
    Options
    Great idea! I'll join! :happy:

I am not used to fitness terms, sorry. What does 30s x 30s x 30s mean?
  • Lysander666
    Options
    Great idea! I'll join! :happy:

I am not used to fitness terms, sorry. What does 30s x 30s x 30s mean?

The 's' is for seconds!
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm in... which is more difficult, planks on forearm or plank on palms?

I'm going to shoot for Gold by the end of the month.
  • Lysander666
    Options

Apparently palms is easier because more muscle groups are involved. Forearm concentrates on core more.
  • ireloyd
    ireloyd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hate planks! But Im in :) I'll be starting on copper for sure haha but i'll let you know how far I get by the end of the month :D
  • Herohorse
    Herohorse Posts: 108
    Options
    Ok, cool.
    I will aim for bronze. I will first have to achieve being able to advance from the "girly" kind. :laugh:
  • BklynEibhlin
    BklynEibhlin Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in - I need to work on my core to get rid of lower back pain. Starting on copper, and hoping I can even do that! :ohwell:
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Apparently palms is easier because more muscle groups are involved. Forearm concentrates on core more.

The more I read the more It seems like a 50/50 split to me... some say palm is easier because there's more muscle groups involved.
    Some say forearm is easier because it's using your skeleton/bones to hold you more than your muscles.

In any event, I'm still in! :)
  • Lysander666
    Options
    Good for you, glad you're both in!
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Im in and Im aiming for diamond! I have been really trying to master the plank, I usually just do them randomly. Im excited about this challenge!!!
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    im so in
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Iam in! I am hoping..thinking I can do the 60 sec ones now. So making diamond by the end of June would be awesome. I personally find the palm ones much easier than the forearm. I think I will do both for the challenge.
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Oh so in on this, I have been looking for a challenge beyond joining the 'insanity' bandwagon. A perfect way to combine with and push my cardio workouts further. I used to be silver, now back to bronze.....due to nothing but laziness. So aiming for nothing less but GOLD :)
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am in. I started them last week and was aiming for 5 seconds each, but could hold at 10s. Not much, but it is a start. :blushing:
    I've been looking for a good plank challenge. So I am in. I am going to aim for Silver. :drinker:
  • __stacyb
    __stacyb Posts: 306
    Options
    I'm in!
  • Becky_Smith72
    Becky_Smith72 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Going for Diamond!