Zumba for big girls

Options
I am contemplating Zumba and looking for insight or recommendations from anyone who has a lot to lose and does Zumba.

I'm currently 5'4" and 321.6 pounds.

If I decide to buy one of the DVDs, where should I start?

Thanks!

Replies

• TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bump.... 'cause I would like to know too ;)
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to find a class to go to?

At my gym, there are lots of overweight people doing zumba and it's a fun group thing. You have some people who are super athletic dancer types laughing and getting along with those of us who are....not. :)
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great because it can be for anyone, of all ages and sizes. My main exercise for many years was Zumba.

The DVD sets have like 5 or six discs in there. If you are new to it do the intro disc first so you can get a feel for the steps and rhythm of the dance before going to the harder dvd's.
    The games for the Wii and Xbox are a pretty good place to start too. The games break down the songs by difficulty so you can pick and choose which dance you want to do and feel comfortable with.

Good luck to you!
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
  • Doing_me
    Doing_me Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am a Zumba Instructor and I have a lot of students that have a lot to loose. Check out some of the youtube videos first and see how you like it and then maybe try a class? Classes are always so much more fun than dvds at home! :)
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i started zumba when i was over 300 lbs just pop it in and try to follow it you can modify the moves that are to hard at the moment as long as you keep moving it counts =)
  • jsbieniek
    jsbieniek Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The DVD's are good but there is no replacement for a class if you can get to one. It is more motivating and I find that my DVD's just sit there because I'm always going to do it "later"! There are several girls in my class that are heavier (and many that are more coordinated than me! LOL). You set your own impact level by how much you put in to it. Maybe also think about checking a Gold class, it is designed for lower impact. But be careful, it is certainly addictive ! :)
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Don't know what DVD for you to start with, but if you have not tried it here is an online site for you to try out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=schNu5ylfwc
  • alawilliams
    alawilliams Posts: 20
    Options
    Zumba Is for ANYONE!!!! I have been taking it for 4 years now and am very addicted to it. Best thing about Zumba is you can really work hard or you can take a moderate pace. Either way you are burning calories!!! Find a class... although the DVD and games are good, it can't replace the feeling of an actual class.
  • missyj1115
    missyj1115 Posts: 1,220 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pleasehealthme
    Options
    So, when I started Zumba I just downloaded a bunch of different videos, kinda watched through them to see what I was most into and went from there! There are a lot of videos on youtube too that will get your heart pumping. It's good for shopping around to see what's out there for you to buy. Just some advice :) I know a kid who lost 100 lbs doing only zumba for exercise. It was very encouraging. Good luck!
  • ShellStar13
    Options
    YouTube has some great videos that actually have "Plus size" instructors. I started with that...I felt more comfrotable looking at someone my size - if they could do it, so could I. Here is a link to one that I started with...you can do a search from there. I made a playlist of about 40 minutes of different videos I found on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i7e5cRlaaI&sns=em

:smile:
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    To be honest I would got for aerobic! Its not the healthest thing USLESS you have been taught dance! Beacuse the moves use a lot the things that need correct placement of the hip and ankle! Even the fittest can hurt themself! I love aerobics it high energy but simple movements!!! Maybe try a few DVDs cheap or classes see what you like! :D
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I am contemplating Zumba and looking for insight or recommendations from anyone who has a lot to lose and does Zumba.

I'm currently 5'4" and 321.6 pounds.

If I decide to buy one of the DVDs, where should I start?

Thanks!

I'd just try searching YouTube for Zumba clips. I've mad numerous playlists, and then just put it on shuffle when I want to workout. I just go until I'm tired. It's generally easy to modify to make things lower impact. Free AND fun! I like it because it's non repetitive the way a DVD would be.
  • blandwriter
    blandwriter Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love her!
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    As a big gal myself, I definitely recommend a Zumba class. I have the DVDs and never once used them. I find I do so much better in class and being with people. and once I got over my stinkin thinkin (oh there's the fat girl what is SHE doing here) I had a blast. Everyone has such a good time. My instructor says the only rule in her class is that there are none. She says always go back to marching in place if you need to slow down.

When I first started there were things I just could not keep up with and would stop and march, last week I was able to complete one of the songs that always messed me up.

Best wishes, just have fun
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I did the DVD's but prefer the class. I didn't give up in the class. The other people motivate you to keep going. Even if you need to step back and sip some water or just breathe.... it beats being able to stop the DVD, sit on the couch and not get back up (Yeah, been there).
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I did and still do from time to time...I was 5"10 and 280.6 pounds...just do it at your own pace, and do not let it imitate you, you got this:) It is soooooo fun, tone your body, you will drop weight and loose tons of weight:)
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My wife is a Zumba instructor who had a client with your profile. The woman took a chair and placed it next to her so she could easily switch between rests and exercise. She lost a lot of weight since and as I recall, everyone was really supportive with her.
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    DVD's are good but I find that going to class makes for a better workout. I don't know if it's the energy of all the other people around me or the additional motivation of a live instructor or what. Just remember that you don't have to have any rhythm or dance skills to burn calories. I am living proof of this. Just remember to double-up on the sports bra as not to injure yourself and have fun with it!