If you have a problem with DIETS do not read.

Options

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm curious.. What huge difference is there going to be in losing 7 lbs? Unless it's for some weight loss challenge where you win $10,000 or something, I don't understand... but I'd like to. No one will notice 7lbs. I'd like to understand the motivation to do a slim fast, super restrictive diet & exercise plan.

The OP's tag line say 9 lbs lost. My guess is that she wants to get over 15 lbs down before going on vacation. I can understand this because the reason I felt like I had to lose a bunch to start with is that until I was out of "striking range" of my original weight I felt like I was in danger of having a bad weekend erase all my gains and feeling like I had not ever started. Once I had a "lead to protect" I had much more incentive to make the right choices. That is all purely mental mumbo jumbo and I know that, but it doesn't make it any less of an issue with me. I have never had success with a diet that started slow. You might say I never had success period since I eventually gained it back, but I had intervals of several years where I kept my weight normal.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Load up a pack with 40 lbs. Hike with it for 6 hours per day. Eat however you normally do. You'll lose at least twice that.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Eat more and eat clean - trust me. Go about 300 calories below your BMR. You'll need the extra calories or the intensity of your workouts will suffer.

Lift weights - heavy - 2 or 3 times a week. And not the high repetition, low weight kind of workout. Do about 5 sets of each exercise for 5 - 8 reps at the highest weight you can safely maintain form at. Bump up your cardio to four hours a week, and make two of them interval training (1 minute as fast as you can go, 1 minute recovery. repeat). So you are essentially working out every day but giving your muscles a few days rest in between weight workouts, to minimize soreness.

Doing the following made me lose 7 pounds, just under a pound a week after plateauing at 105 lbs. The hardest pounds to lose are the ones near goal. I also didn't feel much hunger because I was eating a lot of food - cold intolerance was the worst symptom and minimal.

Also: macronutrients. Protein will make you feel full longer. Aim for a gram per pound of body weight. Slim Fast is full of simple sugars and not so high on the protein, so you'll probably get hungry pretty fast.

Consider replacing it with a protein source around 100 calories (examples: whey protein powder, 4 oz chicken breast, 6 oz plain greek yogurt with splenda). Add a complex carb or piece of fruit for another 100 calories for 200 calorie mini - meal. Have several mini meals throughout the day.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Eat tissue and drink water. It will swell up and make you feel full. Smoke at least 2 packs of cigarettes a day, it will help curb your appettite. Finally, laxatives. Lots of laxatives. Sure it will be uncomfortable, but if you reach your goal it will be worth it.

God I hope your being sarcastic.

I retract my comment. Insanity isnt just a workout program :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I don't care how disgusting or hard the diet or exercise tip... all ideas are welcome.

Tapeworm? Of course you could just eat less and exercise more. You know, have a healthy lifestyle and let your body catch up to how you're living eventually.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I always find it funny that any diet or exercise advice starts with "consult your doctor or physician" when Dr.s and Physicians are very rarely taught anything about Diet or Exercise. LOL. Anyway, consult your Dr. before taking anyone's advice.

It's to get blood panels and a general health check done to make sure you don't have complications that could be worsened or triggered by a big change in diet. It's good advice; if you don't believe me, ask your doctor. :bigsmile:

As far as VLC diets go, there are some specific health concerns that make them a bad idea but most people don't have them. However, since a lot of people scoff at the idea of checking with your doctor before dieting, the general recommendation is not to do VLC.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Eat tissue and drink water. It will swell up and make you feel full. Smoke at least 2 packs of cigarettes a day, it will help curb your appettite. Finally, laxatives. Lots of laxatives. Sure it will be uncomfortable, but if you reach your goal it will be worth it.

Of course this is sarcasm, I didn't think anyone would think it was serious. I should have added a smiley. ;-)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Edited. Ridiculous
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I will tell you how I did lose that much in that amount of time - pretty severely restricting calories, like close to 1000 per day.

Others will come along and tell you that isn't healthy and they might be right. I did see my doctor and at my weight and level of fitness it was not optimum but okay. See your doc if you do this. Do not believe the starvation mode myth; if you eat more you will not lose more.

This is not an easy thing to do, BTW, and do take my advice to get your doc's opinion seriously. Don't do that long term; it would become an eating disorder. I usually eat more than that now, but I did that early one to get started. It's hard for me to stay committed until after I have made good progress.

Thanks! I'm thinking if I do slimfast it will be way easier to just control, plus then even if I don't do any exercise on one day it will still be a deficit.

Yes, SlimFast at 180 or so calories a can is something I have used but be forewarned that despite all their advertising to the contrary, it did very little to control my hunger. When I said this is not easy to do, what I meant is dealing with the hunger. I tried a few different things that people say will keep you feeling full and none of them worked for me. If you are overweight (my BMI was almost 33 at the time) you are conditioned to eating a lot more than that and dealing with the hunger without giving in is very hard to do. When I did some SlimFast days, I would not eat before work and then limit myself to 2 cans during work; nothing else at all. This left me a calorie budget that allowed me to eat normal servings of whatever we (me, my wife and kids) were having for dinner; no seconds, no dessert, no snacks later. It was not fun, but it worked. After I did that (not always SlimFast, but always limiting myself to something preplanned that was about 400 calories for the workday that included breakfast and lunch) for 6 weeks or so, I had lost almost 20 lbs and my rate of loss was pretty steady. Adding back in 200 to 400 calories a day slowed the rate of loss, but it is not nearly as hard to do. I hate to sound like a broken record, but get checked out by your doc if you are going to try this and know that it requires a lot of self discipline.

Slim fast made me hangry. (hungry+angry) It has so much sugar in it that it makes your blood sugars all whack-a-do and then I would end up eating more than I should for dinner. I have a BMI of between 21.5 and 22, I am 5'4" and rarely eat above 2500(those are crazy binge days), usually eat between 1200-1500 and slim fast wasn't enough food for me!

I would suggest doing alternate fasting... every other day. 500 calories and then a normal day for you and then 500....and so on. Just make sure that the 500 calorie days are full of fiber rich veggies and lean protein so that you don't feel like you starving. Also, drinking tea is nice on fast days and staying busy with things other than food.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You are an absolutely gorgeous girl BTW. Who cares about the 7 lbs or whatever? Avoid too much salt and drink a ton of water, so that you're not bloated. Eat clean and reduce calories to around 1600 if you want. Go buy something cute. Go on your trip, enjoy being young and beautiful, and have a blast.

I look back on my early twenties and think, honestly, what was I so insecure about? I should have enjoyed myself more.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

Of course this is sarcasm, I didn't think anyone would think it was serious. I should have added a smiley. ;-)

Oh good haha :)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I don't care how disgusting or hard the diet or exercise tip... all ideas are welcome.

Tapeworm? Of course you could just eat less and exercise more. You know, have a healthy lifestyle and let your body catch up to how you're living eventually.

lols! i second this! eat a tapeworm you'll lose that weight so fast.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

lols! i second this! eat a tapeworm you'll lose that weight so fast.

Yep, this^.

Or cut off a body part or get liposuction.....
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    In for body part removals.
  • Rwheltsley
    Rwheltsley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You are an absolutely gorgeous girl BTW. Who cares about the 7 lbs or whatever? Avoid too much salt and drink a ton of water, so that you're not bloated. Eat clean and reduce calories to around 1600 if you want. Go buy something cute. Go on your trip, enjoy being young and beautiful, and have a blast.

I look back on my early twenties and think, honestly, what was I so insecure about? I should have enjoyed myself more.

Annnnnnnd - this is by far the best advice yet.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I do ice cube cycling. Lost tons!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating a LOT of non-starchy vegetables to keep yourself full. Keep your protein up with low cal sources (low sodium tuna, chicken, beans) and you fat low (no avocado or nuts, very little added oil) and exercise. Keep overall calories low, but not crazy low (1200 - 1300). Focus on cardio. Do HIIT workouts 2-3 times a week and steady state cardio 2-3 times a week.

You'll be hungry. You'll be exhausted. But you'll probably lose a lot. And then you'll gain it right back. Probably while on vacation.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to learn more about this 7 pounds in 3 weeks crash diet approach...

...and how it has any place on MFP...

...and why OP thinks this will have any net improvement on her life if she is "successful" with it.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    In for awesome new strategies
    14131965_120620063000.jpg

Eat at a defect, lift heavy things, go a little cardio. It's mostly just making sure you eat less than you burn.

I've also heard that cocaine is great for this. [/sarcasm]