Fat-free Greek Yogurt is an abomination

Options

Replies

• JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Fage has a full fat option

Really? Where can I find it? The places I've looked have Fage, but it's all 0 or 2% fat or something.

Have you tried the 2%? I can't tell a difference between it and the 4%, whereas I can taste a HUGE difference between it and the 0%. Blech.

I am a 2%er all the way.
  • YellowNightingale
    YellowNightingale Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Fage, Oikos, there are a few brands only in the health-food section that you might like. I add in fruit and stuff, you can add in a bit of honey to help with the flavor!
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    To be honest you do need to mix it with other things or on it's own it can be pretty nasty. I like to mix mine with muesli or another cereal with oats, nuts, chocolate, etc. in it.
    It's also pretty good with a teaspoon of jam (jelly for Americans) or fruit in it. Jam is the best one as it's still less calories than a fruit yoghurt but tastes exactly the same.

We have jam in the U.S. :smile:

I make my own 1% Greek yogurt and mix it with homemade granola, ground flaxseed, and sometimes a bit of honey. When I want it a little sweeter (and smoother) I'll add some regular vanilla yogurt, like Brown Cow. I just bought some whole vanilla beans to make my own vanilla yogurt. I tried it with extract and found the flavor lacking.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    To be honest you do need to mix it with other things or on it's own it can be pretty nasty. I like to mix mine with muesli or another cereal with oats, nuts, chocolate, etc. in it.
    It's also pretty good with a teaspoon of jam (jelly for Americans) or fruit in it. Jam is the best one as it's still less calories than a fruit yoghurt but tastes exactly the same.

we have jam in America... #justsayin
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Greek yougurt taste and consistency varies WIDELY by brand. I would recommend trying some of the other 2% or low fat kinds before writing them off complately- you may like them better.

I like Chobani for mixing with Jam, and Fage for using like sour cream in soups and tacos.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Try...

Fage
    Chobani
    Oikos
    Yoplait 100
    Voskos
    Random Store Brands

You can also mix in some protein powder.
  • bizzybee72
    bizzybee72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use a little cinnamon and splenda. It's quite yummy!:flowerforyou:
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My fav is Oikos, but i prefer the Fat Free kind honestly! Brown Cow also makes a 2% variety that is great, but i've only had their blueberry flavor not the plain.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I used to eat it every day until I bought a regular one by accident. It is heaven and I can't go back to fat free. I get the Dannon Oikos Traditional greek yogurt. It is delicious.
  • penelofur
    penelofur Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I LIKE it.. :(
    Chobani has "flip" tops so it comes with chia seeds, nuts, dark chocolate etc...
    Those ones are excellent..

Although they are higher in calories...
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Greek yougurt taste and consistency varies WIDELY by brand. I would recommend trying some of the other 2% or low fat kinds before writing them off complately- you may like them better.

I like Chobani for mixing with Jam, and Fage for using like sour cream in soups and tacos.

This^ Seriously, I use Fage insread of sour cream too and the Chobani is heaven.
  • andreamossy
    andreamossy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ...with apologies to those who like it...but I just can't stand it, it tastes like chalk. Are there any other brands of full-fat Greek yogurt besides The Greek Gods? I can't seem to find any others.

I also have found all of them to be disgusting... Except for the oikos brand. Their fat free stuff is just as creamy as the full fat. Happy tasting!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have never had a greek yogurt taste like chalk. Even the plain stuff approaches creamy, sour cream consistency.

Try Costco's plain greek yogurt. It's very creamy and about 6.99 for two 32 ounce containers.

I've also had good luck with Chobani.

for flavoring add two packets of Truvia per cup. Mix with fresh fruit or a tablespoon of cocoa powder.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I have never had a greek yogurt taste like chalk. Even the plain stuff approaches creamy, sour cream consistency.

Try Costco's plain greek yogurt. It's very creamy and about 6.99 for two 32 ounce containers.

I've also had good luck with Chobani.

for flavoring add two packets of Truvia per cup. Mix with fresh fruit or a tablespoon of cocoa powder.

I'm talking about fat-free greek yogurt, not the plain fatty kind. I love greek yogurt. I don't have a membership to Costco, unfortunately.
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I used to eat it every day until I bought a regular one by accident. It is heaven and I can't go back to fat free. I get the Dannon Oikos Traditional greek yogurt. It is delicious.

This for me. I thought greek yogurt was NASTY until I tasted Dannon Oikos Traditional Greek in the orange cream flavor - OMG!! Thinking I'm going to try the diet soda cake (made with any flavor cake mix and diet orange soda) and the orange cream yogurt will be my icing.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I like the texture of Fage (fat free, 2%, etc..)
    a little vanilla protein powder and berries.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Put some stevia in it, along with your favorite extract(s). I use vanilla, almond, and coconut.

That sounds GOOD! Ever freeze it? Make it into like an ice cream?
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I eat 0% President's Choice and I think it tastes delicious, even plain...
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options

yes! eat it with jam! nom!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Cabot Greek-style full fat is to die for. Half a "serving" is plenty.