How long did it take you to build up to a 5k?

Options
2»

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Just a bump update - so many of you inspired me to go out jogging today and use C25k! I completed day 1 of week 1 and found it easier this time than the first, considering how much I hate running. After I finished the session, for the hell of it I decided to just run with no stopping and only ended up stopping when my shins felt uncomfortable, but to my surprise, I ran 8 minutes straight at one point! I was so stoked! Really looking forward to training more with it and maybe even jumping to week 2 or 3. :P My lungs could handle it but I noticed my knees/shins felt a little wobbly. I believe I need to practice striking the ground properly, although I don't run on the balls of my feet or my heels. Should it be more of a rolling motion, or a "stomp"? :laugh:

I'd advise against this. You may get injured. Keep to the programme.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Took me about 2 1/2 months, IIRC.
  • beanymac22
    beanymac22 Posts: 47
    Options
    I just downloaded a Zombies, Run! 5K training app, It looks pretty cool but I haven't used it yet, has anyone had any experience with that one? It is supposed to make running more interactive and fun
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Not more than about 2 months. What I found is that when I could comfortably run more than a mile and a half then finishing a 5k was no big deal. Like one of the above posters said, I ran 2 miles one day, two days later I ran 5k at the same pace, then just out of curiosity I ran 10k to prove to myself that I could.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just a bump update - so many of you inspired me to go out jogging today and use C25k! I completed day 1 of week 1 and found it easier this time than the first, considering how much I hate running. After I finished the session, for the hell of it I decided to just run with no stopping and only ended up stopping when my shins felt uncomfortable, but to my surprise, I ran 8 minutes straight at one point! I was so stoked! Really looking forward to training more with it and maybe even jumping to week 2 or 3. :P My lungs could handle it but I noticed my knees/shins felt a little wobbly. I believe I need to practice striking the ground properly, although I don't run on the balls of my feet or my heels. Should it be more of a rolling motion, or a "stomp"? :laugh:

Holy smokes that's amazing!!! I've fiddled with c25k off and on since February. I keep hurting myself by trying to run an entire interval so I haven't been able to get past day 1!!! So what I was going to tell you is: Don't push yourself into an injury!!!!! Like someone else said, just follow the program!! Leg/foot injuries can take weeks to recover from and that will really set you back!
  • pikamiya
    pikamiya Posts: 3
    Options
    I absolutely adore Zombies Run 5k :) There's a group somewhere on here for it but I haven't joined it; basically, finding out what is happening next gets me motivated to go running every other day :) I've gotten through week 7 and then was distracted by a move and started walking without the plot; currently working my way back through it :)
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    C25k is an amazing program! I used it initially to get to a 5k (about 10 wks).
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I started with intermittent walking and jogging - I had to start slow because I had not been active at all for 30 years. It took me 3 full months with runkeeper to prepare for a 5k (34:10 was my time). I ran 4 times each week and increased speed and endurance much faster than I expected I would.

I found that I had to take it easy and not push too hard or I would feel as if I was run over by a truck...so pick a plan, get started, and be amazed how fast you improve! AND rest on rest days! it is necessary for recovery.

This. I started last year and I started running 10k only a month after conquering the 5k. It's doable!
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I tried the c25k app today. I couldn't finish day one :(
    I got 12 minutes in and just couldn't do any more. I walked the rest of my walk.
    I'm going to do it again on Saturday and see if I. Can do longer or further but. Honestly not getting through the first day made me feel pretty down on myself.
  • PrincessRunnerLindsey
    Options
    When I decided to start running, I just jumped on a treadmill and went. I did 5k right off the bat doing a walk/run method (I think I did about run 4 walk 4?), and it took me 47 minutes to complete. A few short months later I did a timed 5k and finished in just over 32 minutes. I tried to run 3-5k per session, 2-3 times a week.

Lindsey
    www.prairieprincessrunners.wordpress.com
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I started c25k in 2011. Never finished it because I kept getting sick. The next year I went back to running and realized I could run 15 minutes at a time. So I started there with 3 sessions a week and added 5 minutes once each week for 5 weeks. Once I found I was to 30 minutes I was able to just keep running till I finished 5k, 38 minutes at that time. I did a 5k 8 week training plan at that time and ran 5k in 29:52.

So 5 weeks for me with decent physical fitness to complete 5k, 13 weeks for a time I was happy with.
  • temple_n
    temple_n Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started running because I really wanted to challenge myself and I thought I hated running. I joined a friend of mine initially and we used a C25K app on our phones (no joke). Then I heard about a program through my local Fleet Feet store called No Boundaries and it slowly brings you up to a 5K over 12 weeks. I loved this because it taught me that interval running is still running and I haven't stopped since. Since then I've enven mentored in the No Boundaries program. Now I run 4.5 miles in 2min run, 1min walk intervals without a problem. I am hoping to start adding extra mileage at those same intervals. I had trained up to 4min run 1min walk but I found my endurance sweet spot at 2 min run 1 min walk. Honestly, from what I can find in literature on the topic, using intervals doesn't compromise pace because you're able to maintain endurance. Also, I hear it's a better workout as far as fat burning to do intervals. Thanks for your post, excellent question!
  • YankeeGal75
    Options
    It took me 6 weeks to go from couch potato to a 5K using this program: http://www.barnardos.org.uk/training-5kmtrainingprogramme.pdf

Week 1
    Monday Rest
    Tuesday Run 1 min, walk 1 min x 10
    Wednesday Rest
    Thursday Run 2 mins, walk 4 mins x 5
    Friday Rest
    Saturday Rest
    Sunday Run 2 mins, walk 4 mins x 5

Week 2
    Monday Rest
    Tuesday Run 3 mins, walk 3 mins x 4
    Wednesday Rest