OK I'll bite, why does everyone go crazy for squats?

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm not. They make my thighs humongous! They are already humongous without them.

Interesting. I found that they make my humongous thighs thinner.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    People have already listed the most important benefits. I'm just here to show the difference of a booty between no squats and squats

e4881013-a1e4-4fae-971d-03202a06e0c0_zps337eb92b.jpg

Amazing *kitten*! Gives me hope!
  • Marianela626
    Options
    Do a search for before and after squats.. you'll see. Nothing like them to change and define your booty
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    They're a great isolation exercise. They isolate everything from the neck down.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Love squats! I do sumo squats because I have bad knees, my legs have never been more toned and my tush... wow is what my honey says! They're great if you have knee issues because squats build up all of the supporting structures of the knee, I can even jog now!
    Forgot to mention how great squats are for your core!!!
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    Love squats! I do sumo squats because I have bad knees, my legs have never been more toned and my tush... wow is what my honey says! They're great if you have knee issues because squats build up all of the supporting structures of the knee, I can even jog now!
    Forgot to mention how great squats are for your core!!!

love this! thank you so so much!
    i was worried about knees problems
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I hate squats....they suck....but I do them anyways
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Because they protect your knees!! Very important if you want to enjoy running..

YES^^ I have knee problems and I can't run unless I do squats. Nothing helps keep knee strain/pain away better.
  • rljohnsufl
    rljohnsufl Posts: 48
    Options
    My exercises of choice lately are split squats and bulgarian split squats. They are a way to work all those little stabilizing muscles that keep you upright, they work the legs separately, and ...they require less weight to get a workout. (i.e. no hoisting a barbell over my head at home - I just need dumbbells).
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I'm not. They make my thighs humongous! They are already humongous without them.

Wide stance powerlifting type squats will utilize the glutes more than narrow stance which is intensive on the quads. Also, lifting at higher intensity will cause more strength gain and less actual size gained. And lastly, stick legs on girls is gross,.When your BF% drops youll have amazing legs that look better than any skinny models sticks of flab.

Meh...I already have enough butt and thigh muscles from all the walking I do. But thank you for the tips.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have dropped several pants sizes doing my own version of squat challenge with a kettle bell. Having strong legs has many many benefits. I am a better swimmer then before. I completed c25k so i could run as a cardio work out and when i used to come home after a 30 min run my legs would feel like jelly and my knees would throb (i did not weigh a massive amount more then present when i started). Since doing squats and having stronger legs my speed/ stamina and general running ability has improved so so much.Now when i get home i feel like i could go out and do the whole run again (no knee pain at all). Not to mention squats work all the big muscle groups in one swoop so it gets a good burn over doing eg a simple arm exercise as arm muscles are smaller.

Anyways don't ask why... Just do it. You wont be sorry xxx
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I squat because i have sacroiliac joint issues. My chiropractor prescribed them to strengthen my core muscles and side muscles, which will prevent my si from going out. Plus, I love my *kitten*, and as I lose, I want to keep it...lol
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    And... to add to the benefits everyone has already listed - if you've had kids (like I have) they are hands down the easiest way to tone your pelvic floor muscles (sooo much better than doing kegels etc)! And the bonus is you get a nice *kitten* :wink:
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My husband keeps talking about "buddy squats"

hmmm.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

No, they don't
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I completed c25k so i could run as a cardio work out and when i used to come home after a 30 min run my legs would feel like jelly and my knees would throb (i did not weigh a massive amount more then present when i started). Since doing squats and having stronger legs my speed/ stamina and general running ability has improved so so much.

This. It engages your hip muscles and helps you stabilize during runs.
  • likitisplit
    Options

No, they don't

I know. My thighs are thinner since doing them.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Because they give you a sweet booty!
  • ml1007
    ml1007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Squats make your legs amazing!
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options

No, they don't

I assume you have personal knowledge of my thighs? LOL. For a lot of people they seem to work out great, but my leg muscles do end up getting a bit too big for my liking...and I already have a big ole ghetto booty anyways.