METABOLIC DAMAGE & CALORIE COUNTING

Options
Hi everyone!

I feel that this is something that needs to be raised!
For the past 4 years (I'm 20) I have been on low calorie diets(800-1000) a day - I dropped 'weight' super fast, I was lethargic, but then gained some back when eating normally, and therefore always staying on a low calorie number to maintain so It felt like I was constantly on a diet - I was probably maintaining on around 1400. Yeah - that sucks. That is what you call 'low metabolic capacity'..

My metabolism is messed - messed up from the endless cardio, low calorie.
A lot of you think its calorie in vs calories out. Yes this is true - but NOT true for those that have messed up metabolisms from years of dieting - it is NOW much HARDER for us to lose weight without creeping down to something stupid like 800 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week.

I recently came off my stupid low calorie diet, after losing 10 pounds I gained 14 pounds eating normally and then developing a stupid binge disorder due to all the restricting and unhealthy food choices. I am working on improving my metabolism which will take time.

I now do strength training, HIIT, eat clean, not just for weightloss but also for my health, my skin glows now. I eat low carb, high protein and high fat. I feel amazing less bloated and overall much more healthier! I have been doing this for around 3 weeks and have around 4% body fat. I dont weigh myself anymore - to me it is ALL about measurements and the way my clothes fit *& reducing body fat.

Here is an amazing video which opened up my eyes COMPLETELY! I recommend watching it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

Please please please - if you are reading this, feel free to ask questions. If you feel like you are not seeing results and are eating pretty low already - give your body a break, eat at maintenance. Eat healthy!!!!!

Loveee! x
I'm fortunate enough to have an amazing coach and nutritionist. I

Replies

• MissMalinSara
    MissMalinSara Posts: 137
    Options
    I am no nutrtionist myself, but after years and yearssssss of dieting I know my body so well and what works for me.. everyone is different.
  • MissMalinSara
    Options
    bump
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

and have around 4% body fat.

:huh:
  • MissMalinSara
    Options
    Lost**

Lmao
  • Herohorse
    Herohorse Posts: 108
    Options
    Very cool! Great job!:smile:
    I had a similar concern as I ate low calorie for a while. Question: How "high fat" do you eat (percentage or grams)? I have trouble eating low fat on my vegetarian diet, even though I try, and I would like to know what is working for you.
  • MissMalinSara
    Options
    Typo :noway:
  • MissMalinSara
    Options
    Very cool! Great job!:smile:
    I had a similar concern as I ate low calorie for a while. Question: How "high fat" do you eat (percentage or grams)? I have trouble eating low fat on my vegetarian diet, even though I try, and I would like to know what is working for you.

Well around 40g carb 150g protein and 80g fat a day :-) All from healthy whole foods nuts, coconut oil, olive oil etc.
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Options
    Clean is NOT normal eating in this day and age. LOL 4% for a woman is it? :huh:
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You have 4% body fat? If that is an actual number, and you are woman, that's probably too low. I'm guessing you aren't actually 4%. That would be stupid low for a male, even.

Calories in vs calories out is true for everyone, even those who have "messed up" metabolisms. The out part of the equation is just lower.

If you have some weight to lose yet, a calorie deficit will get you there, but it may need to be a modest deficit and a slow loss if you are on the low end of the body fat spectrum.

Your basal metabolism is going to be very closely related to how much lean mass you have. If you increase muscle, you are theoretically increasing your metabolism, but not by leaps and bounds.

Edit: Nevermind about the 4% thing. Got it. :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    She lost 4%.

Anyway, just commenting that "clean eating" isn't an obligation. But if it helps you, carry on.
    I like eating well and eating a little of everything.
  • Herohorse
    Herohorse Posts: 108
    Options
    Great, thanks for the info!
  • Canuck_Fit
    Canuck_Fit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I feel that this is something that needs to be raised!
    For the past 4 years (I'm 20) I have been on low calorie diets(800-1000) a day - I dropped 'weight' super fast, I was lethargic, but then gained some back when eating normally, and therefore always staying on a low calorie number to maintain so It felt like I was constantly on a diet - I was probably maintaining on around 1400. Yeah - that sucks. That is what you call 'low metabolic capacity'..

My metabolism is messed - messed up from the endless cardio, low calorie.
    A lot of you think its calorie in vs calories out. Yes this is true - but NOT true for those that have messed up metabolisms from years of dieting - it is NOW much HARDER for us to lose weight without creeping down to something stupid like 800 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week.

I recently came off my stupid low calorie diet, after losing 10 pounds I gained 14 pounds eating normally and then developing a stupid binge disorder due to all the restricting and unhealthy food choices. I am working on improving my metabolism which will take time.

I now do strength training, HIIT, eat clean, not just for weightloss but also for my health, my skin glows now. I eat low carb, high protein and high fat. I feel amazing less bloated and overall much more healthier! I have been doing this for around 3 weeks and have around 4% body fat. I dont weigh myself anymore - to me it is ALL about measurements and the way my clothes fit *& reducing body fat.

Here is an amazing video which opened up my eyes COMPLETELY! I recommend watching it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

Please please please - if you are reading this, feel free to ask questions. If you feel like you are not seeing results and are eating pretty low already - give your body a break, eat at maintenance. Eat healthy!!!!!

Loveee! x
    I'm fortunate enough to have an amazing coach and nutritionist. I

Something about the 4% body fat doesn't sound right...I thought the essential body fat % for women was a little over 10%. I'm hoping you mean you've lost 4% body fat
  • MissMalinSara
    Options
    Clean is NOT normal eating in this day and age. LOL 4% for a woman is it? :huh:

It is HEALTHY.

Ok I'll have a 200 calorie snickers for lunch instead of 200 calories worth of chicken and veg.

Duh.
  • MissMalinSara
    Options
    TYPOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

LOST**** 4%

Lmao.
  • Canuck_Fit
    Canuck_Fit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    TYPOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

LOST**** 4%

Lmao.

Phew :happy:
  • Mateo1985
    Mateo1985 Posts: 153
    Options
    Great job on changing things up. Check out Fat 2 Fit radio as well. it's a podcast with a lot of good information. They're against the whole concept of crash dieting so it's pretty cool. But you probably know enough already lol.

I sent a friend request so I can check your food diary. I want to learn where people get their protein from. I'm kind of clueless when it comes nutrition part of the food.

Over great job and Keep it up!!!!
  • MissMalinSara
    Options
    Great job on changing things up. Check out Fat 2 Fit radio as well. it's a podcast with a lot of good information. They're against the whole concept of crash dieting so it's pretty cool. But you probably know enough already lol.

I sent a friend request so I can check your food diary. I want to learn where people get their protein from. I'm kind of clueless when it comes nutrition part of the food.

Over great job and Keep it up!!!!

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to point out that your metabolism was never damaged. All you did was move enough to account for how much you wanted to eat.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Bump to watch video later
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can legally add 's's to years until you're at least 30, but good job on the other stuff. :wink: