Question for restaurant servers.

Options

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I agree with simply ASKING for a refill - and nicely, too.

I'd rather this is how it worked.

On the other hand, it bugs me that I have to ask for water.
  • chinamonkey
    chinamonkey Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    saying that though..when i was 17 working at pizza hut us serving staff got £3.20 an hour...and was less than kitchen staff as we got tips... so sometimes serving staff are on less than others...

However i wont tip unless we get better than basic service!
  • shorty458
    shorty458 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    They are apparently non-attentive servers! I've been a waitress, and I would always refill water & soda. If guests were still eating, or have not even started yet, I would just bring out a new one. If they were done eating, i would ask just to make sure.

From a former server, that is a pet peeve of mine. I can understand if they are busy, but if it is slow and my glass is left empty, I am not happy!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    For all you people who say they "just don't tip" or leave a few pennies, heads up to this. Servers are charged taxes on their total sales. They have to pay taxes based on 8% of that total (its been a while since I was a server so it could be more now in CA at least). So if you don't tip at least 8%, that server actually loses money waiting on you. SO unless the server is especially rude or bad at their job, please don't screw them like that. As someone who lived off of tips (although I was a damn good server) cheap *kitten* who stiffed me or tipped next to nothing deserved to get throat punched. That is all.....

Wow! We don't have those rules here. You just have to claim the difference of minimum wage minus 2.13/hr, whether you make it or not really.

As far as being a customer, I try to make my visit more enjoyable for my server by having my drink and food orders ready when they arrive (but only giving the food order if they ask). I also let my server know asap that my husband consumes an ungodly amount of sugar and creamer with his coffee, and just bring a bowl of it to save yourself some headache. I order a soda AND a water (if I'm getting soda) or a water for another guest at the table (that they don't want) if I'm feeling thirsty. I know I shouldn't have to, but I know that servers are busy! This keeps me satisfied for awhile.

Also, it's just helpful as a customer to clean up the little paper sugar packets, butter pat containers, etc. Just put them in a dirty cup or bowl. I know it's not your job, but no server wants to reach all over you to pick up stray pieces of paper or even dirty dishes. It takes all of five seconds to tidy up between courses.
  • chinamonkey
    chinamonkey Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    For all you people who say they "just don't tip" or leave a few pennies, heads up to this. Servers are charged taxes on their total sales. They have to pay taxes based on 8% of that total (its been a while since I was a server so it could be more now in CA at least). So if you don't tip at least 8%, that server actually loses money waiting on you. SO unless the server is especially rude or bad at their job, please don't screw them like that. As someone who lived off of tips (although I was a damn good server) cheap *kitten* who stiffed me or tipped next to nothing deserved to get throat punched. That is all.....

Wow! We don't have those rules here. You just have to claim the difference of minimum wage minus 2.13/hr, whether you make it or not really.

As far as being a customer, I try to make my visit more enjoyable for my server by having my drink and food orders ready when they arrive (but only giving the food order if they ask). I also let my server know asap that my husband consumes an ungodly amount of sugar and creamer with his coffee, and just bring a bowl of it to save yourself some headache. I order a soda AND a water (if I'm getting soda) or a water for another guest at the table (that they don't want) if I'm feeling thirsty. I know I shouldn't have to, but I know that servers are busy! This keeps me satisfied for awhile.

Also, it's just helpful as a customer to clean up the little paper sugar packets, butter pat containers, etc. Just put them in a dirty cup or bowl. I know it's not your job, but no server wants to reach all over you to pick up stray pieces of paper or even dirty dishes. It takes all of five seconds to tidy up between courses.

love it! i still stack all the dishes at the end, scrape any left overs into the top plate etc! you cant get out of waitressing habits!
  • cheerbabe080790
    cheerbabe080790 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You know, you could politely ask...servers are people too, they aren't psychic. the average person doesn't want more then 1-2 refills. Don't sit there and get mad when the server doesn't fill you up, just be politely vocal about your wishes and I am sure you would be accommodated. Servers get paid 2.83 an hour and they work their butt off to depend on the generosity of others. I was a waitress for 4 years during college, and it is people like you that made me angry. If I've refilled your drink 3-5 times, and you're still unhappy ...then you tip me 1.99-3.99 ...you aren't worth my time. Sorry, but servers are only nice to those who tip them. it's like any other job. You wouldn't be happy if your boss cut your pay because you didn't refill his coffee enough times....it works the same way with servers. Just ask for what you want, be nice and they'll be nice to you, take in account all their service, not just your refills, and then if all goes well tip either 5 dollars for anything under 25 dollars, or 20% for anything over 25 dollars. That's the right thing to do.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Refills and tips , what is this madness?
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Because you don't need it.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda, but my husband does. He never has a problem getting refills. More often than not, they're bringing out another one when he hasn't even finished the current one.

Helpful tip: Try talking to your waiter/waitress straight away and tell them how you would like your refills handled. Easy peasy.
  • dieKriegerin77
    Options
    :sad:
    Talk about first world f***ing problems.
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Imagine if your pay was docked 15% every time you forgot to call someone back or sent an email 10 minutes late at work. That wouldn't happen. Servers are the only people constantly judged for their work with payment as their consequence, and most of them work their *kitten* off.

If you go looking for reasons to not pay a tip, you'll definitely find some because servers are people and people make mistakes. But you have to be understanding that they are doing the best they can.

And most people don't drink 5-10 glasses of soda in one sitting. That is totally excessive.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    It is a service industry good service=good tips. I didnt say it was an easy service industry job but it's still that persons job to serve and hopefully meet the needs of the customers.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Imagine if your pay was docked 15% every time you forgot to call someone back or sent an email 10 minutes late at work. That wouldn't happen.

Both those are inexcusable and a 15% pay decrease seems reasonable to make one be more efficient.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have a question for customers: can you not see that I'm running my butt off serving 6 to 8 other tables? That I'm seating people at the door, helping people at the register, making soups, making salads, and I just can't do it all at once? You drank your soda in three minutes? That sucks, do you want me to just sit here and watch your table non-stop? I do the best I can, and I'm serving 25 customers at a time in my cheap restaurant where we're understaffed, so thanks for shorting my tip because I'm not superwoman.

not to be cruel, but

wHq59ok.gif

i'm out of the house, spending hard earned money on something i could easily make at home. the problems of other people are not of my concern. all i know is i am here, and i am thirsty. i'll drink my refillable drink in whatever time period that suits my needs, tyvm.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Americans are very odd

We usually have to pay for extra drinks in restaurants

Yeah. I won't go to places that don't have free refills. Exception being shopping mall restaurants, because the rent there is 2-3x more expensive. Usually its the super cheap/dirty hole in the wall places that charge for refills around here.

Cost for a refill of a soda is pennies to the restaurant. So.

I usually have wine in a restaurant, clearly my idea of a restaurant is different to yours

you drink wine at every breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Do you drink soda with breakfast lunch and dinner? Here in Australia the only free refills you get are of water and thank god for that too
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

This doesn't apply in the UK, nor in other countries in Europe I've lived in so far (Greece, France, Holland & Germany).
    So yeah... I don't tip. They get minimum wage just like the rest of us.

Well then I guess you are entitled to being cheap :drinker:

We don't tip here in Australia either unless the service is really awesome, it's not customary and our service staff are much better paid. Having said that when I travel I always tip according to local custom
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Weirdos. Just give your staff a wage already.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Is it wrong that I think this thread is very funny!

Customer is all "I don't care how busy you are, this is my money, and I'm not tipping much if I'm not happy"

Server is all "I can't believe you didn't leave me 20% even though you weren't happy with your experience"

Customer is all "I just got a refill, and drank it in 2 minutes...it's been 3 minutes since then...why isn't my glass full"

Server is all "I got 8 tables and have to make my rounds, it takes me at least 5+ minutes to get back to you"

Both sides claim great wrongs have been done to them.
  • johnnlinda
    johnnlinda Posts: 69
    Options
    Many years ago I was a server. I was always on top of refills, I think partly because I hated waiting for my diet coke to get refilled. But give me a rude customer, they can sit forever and if I did bring them a refill after the were grumpy, I would oh so drop the tip of a dirty towel in it, smile and say enjoy. Be nice to your server, or dine at fast food places. Yes, you can get really bad service. If so, don't tip. TIPS... To insure prompt service
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I was a server. I was always on top of refills, I think partly because I hated waiting for my diet coke to get refilled. But give me a rude customer, they can sit forever and if I did bring them a refill after the were grumpy, I would oh so drop the tip of a dirty towel in it, smile and say enjoy. Be nice to your server, or dine at fast food places. Yes, you can get really bad service. If so, don't tip. TIPS... To insure prompt service

Yea...that's a pretty crappy thing to do to someone. If someone is rude, sorry, that doesn't give you a green light to introduce potentially damaging materials/bacteria etc.. into their meal.

You should honestly be ashamed of yourself for ever doing something like that. It's not cool when people are rude, but you should never put their health at risk because of it.