Guy eating healthy at work

NormInv
NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
I feel like people judge a guy who eats lean at work. I work with a lot of women and they love their donuts and bagels. Its that kind of place where they have cake and sweets for birthdays, monthly lunches, weekly snack bars - everyone looks a bit overweight (ok I am being nice, everyone looks fat). I bring my carrots and broccoli to snack at my desk and I get the weird stares. They probably think I am a psycho!

So.much.judgment!

Replies

• PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    I get the same thing at my office, when I'm snacking on almonds and blueberries etc etc
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    My husband gets the same thing. It was pretty comical the time they had an office-wide potluck salad lunch...he was the only guy who showed up! :laugh:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Be honest, do you look at them the same way they look at you when they have their fatty foods? You may do it as well and not even realize, same as they might not realize they're doing it. They might feel like you'd be judging them for how they eat, so they just judge you on how you eat, instead. Life's a *****, and then you die. :shrug:
  • PNOD
    PNOD Posts: 35
    I work from home or am on the road... This is often hard too, so I cannot comment much on a workplace environment, but while on the road I hang out with many different people and often have to do lunches and dinners for people that do this once every few months and meanwhile I do it 2-3 times a week.

I have noticed when a customer orders a great "looking" meal that I would stand clear of and I order the salmon with no butter, steamed veggies and I get a look of like WTF are you doing. Hard sometimes.
  • NormInv
    Be honest, do you look at them the same way they look at you when they have their fatty foods? You may do it as well and not even realize, same as they might not realize they're doing it. They might feel like you'd be judging them for how they eat, so they just judge you on how you eat, instead. Life's a *****, and then you die. :shrug:

nice try hon, but i dont look at them in any way...i just mind my own business....but like i said,,,,nice try
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    to604byejamesdean37.gif
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member

Actually I when I see people with snickers and other foods on their desk I don't judge because that is the office norm so when I see I don't judge it's just normal. I notice most people in an office look at people strange for eating healthy
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member

nice try hon, but i dont look at them in any way...i just mind my own business....but like i said,,,,nice try

Well, you did say that you notice they eat bagels, donuts, etc and look overweight... So you do look at what they eat and notice it.

I deal with this, every day. I work surrounded by men and I they like to "tease" me about what I eat. If I eat the cake, its "Oh, how many pieces are you having? Any left for the rest of us? Are you allowed to eat that??" If I dont its "Oh youre on a diet you cant eat that right? Gotta make the rest of us look bad, you never eat!"

Then any time I DO have a snack or whatever that I brought for myself "HOW MUCH DO YOU EAT IN A DAY, THOUGH YOU WERE ON A DIET???"

it truly gets annoying! Every day they comment in one way or another! I just started giving them THE LOOK! lol
  • DalekBrittany

No need to be a **** "hon", I was just stating my opinion. Nice try though "hon."
  • NormInv

Well, you did say that you notice they eat bagels, donuts, etc and look overweight... So you do look at what they eat and notice it.

I deal with this, every day. I work surrounded by men and I they like to "tease" me about what I eat. If I eat the cake, its "Oh, how many pieces are you having? Any left for the rest of us? Are you allowed to eat that??" If I dont its "Oh youre on a diet you cant eat that right? Gotta make the rest of us look bad, you never eat!"

Then any time I DO have a snack or whatever that I brought for myself "HOW MUCH DO YOU EAT IN A DAY, THOUGH YOU WERE ON A DIET???"

it truly gets annoying! Every day they comment in one way or another! I just started giving them THE LOOK! lol

Love and peace
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    It's your body. Eat what you want. If the sheep in the office want to eat the donuts, let them. They will be the doughy ones not you.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    When people see me eating "healthy" they ask me if I am on a diet and then tell me "Good!". :grumble:
  • DalekBrittany
    nvm...not worth the strike. ;)
  • NormInv
    while we at it, my group insurance coverage premium is off the roof because of the donut people. i am never gonna use a single penny of the thousands of dollars i pay in premiums every year to support the lifestyle of the obese. what tyranny!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    I don't really have a problem with how people "perceive" my eating habits. If they comment, I will tell them "I eat what I want and I don't want that". That's usually enough. If they persist, then they'll get a "No, really, I don't want it!" in a slightly stronger tone.

If they shoot me "looks" because of what I eat, eh...that doesn't really bug me.
  • NormInv

was that strikeable? i am chicken
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    who cares what they are thinking?
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member

was that strikeable? i am chicken

Strange. I thought you were beef.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member

Love and peace

So You changed it just as I was quoting it, I still saw the "fat people deserve it" remark... Yeah, I used to be fat so I guess I deserved all the bad things that were said/done to me during that time, and people to be judging me?? Well I have discovered in the past 3 years having gone from morbidly obese to healthy that it doesnt matter what size/color/sex you are, people JUDGE you. And being a particular size/color/sex DOESN'T make it OK. Just saying! :flowerforyou:
  • LuHox
    LuHox Posts: 136
    I worked in a place where most people ate pretty bad. Nobody cared that I didn't. I don't think they noticed. I noticed what they ate just because the bad food was always around, it's not easy trying to lose weight, and sometimes I just got a little irritated watching people who are thinner & healthier-looking than me eat junk food and drink soda constantly.... like a "why can't I do that and be that skinny" sort of thing.