Man in Business Suit - Flat Front or Pleated Pants?

Options
1235»

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I'm no fashion plate, but even I know, pleats are so 1990's. Don't, just don't, anyone.
  • avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I've been buying pleated pants for suits and flat front for casual, but I guess now I need to rethink my strategy.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    See, this is the kind of man who wears Flat Front pants. I rest my case....

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/05/29/judge-orders-psychological-exam-for-man-charged-with-molesting-pet-peacock/
  • surreygirl23
    surreygirl23 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've just had a look on the M&S website (largest seller of menswear in the UK)
    Formal trousers - flat front (79), single pleat (33), double pleat (none).
    Chinos - flat front (24), single pleat (1), double pleat (none).
    Casual trousers - flat front (68), single pleat (1), double pleat (none).

To sum up - does james Bond wear pleated front trousers?
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    So my (assumedly unpopular) conclusion is that a conservative suit is going to be the right call in my situation. I work in a more conservative city in a conservative industry. Most (90%+) of my superiors and key clients will dress in a suit with pleated pants. Does the internet and fashion say pleats are out of style. Yes. Does that change the reality that in my situation being fashion-forward could be construed as "youthful and inexperienced". Sadly, No. The conservative and safe choice here is a traditional business suit. In the US that remains a 1 or 2 pleat pant. That is pretty clear regardless of what the fashion industry wants to tell you.

So for those that said flat front. I ask that if you work in a corporate office environment where suits are the norm, notice if those are flat front or pleats (I'd guess pleats on almost anyone over 35).

If the question was "which suit would make you most want to jump in the sack" then I agree that a trendier suit would win.

I equate this to a question that a businesswoman might ask on this forum "Guys, should I wear a long skirt or short skirt to the office". The answer would be short skirt. Always the shortest skirt. Preferably with fishnets and 6-inch heels. And a plunging neckline. We'd all agree that is the right answer.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    So my (assumedly unpopular) conclusion is that a conservative suit is going to be the right call in my situation. I work in a more conservative city in a conservative industry. Most (90%+) of my superiors and key clients will dress in a suit with pleated pants. Does the internet and fashion say pleats are out of style. Yes. Does that change the reality that in my situation being fashion-forward could be construed as "youthful and inexperienced". Sadly, No. The conservative and safe choice here is a traditional business suit. In the US that remains a 1 or 2 pleat pant. That is pretty clear regardless of what the fashion industry wants to tell you.

So for those that said flat front. I ask that if you work in a corporate office environment where suits are the norm, notice if those are flat front or pleats (I'd guess pleats on almost anyone over 35).

If the question was "which suit would make you most want to jump in the sack" then I agree that a trendier suit would win.

I equate this to a question that a businesswoman might ask on this forum "Guys, should I wear a long skirt or short skirt to the office". The answer would be short skirt. Always the shortest skirt. Preferably with fishnets and 6-inch heels. And a plunging neckline. We'd all agree that is the right answer.

this thread would be much better on texags...
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Flat front!
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    Options

this thread would be much better on texags...

Truth.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

I work in a conservative environment and pleats are only worn by IT geeks. Not one semi stylish older gentleman here wears pleats.

Pleats are not more conservative. They are out of style. Big difference.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    Options

I work in a conservative environment and pleats are only worn by IT geeks. Not one semi stylish older gentleman here wears pleats.

Pleats are not more conservative. They are out of style. Big difference.

So here in the US, I would say that two of the most common places to purchase a suit are Jos A Bank and Men's wearhouse. I go to their website and a majority of their suits have pleated pants (not all but 75% or so). To say they are "out of style" is just inaccurate when we are talking about suits in a business setting with C-level executives.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    C levels dont shop at Mens Wearhouse and Jos A Banks. Most of everything they sell is out of style to begin with. They specifically cater to the non fasionable and out of touch older men who do not wish to spend more than a few hundred on a suit.

How many Zegna, Brioni, etc suits are pleated? If you are interviewing someone for a corporate job you should be making enough money and spending enough on suits that your preferred suit labels dont even sell pleated pants. Hell, I'd be wary of even taking a job from a man wearing pleated pants.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Flat frontd, as long as they fit right and are the right cut.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    C levels dont shop at Mens Wearhouse and Jos A Banks. Most of everything they sell is out of style to begin with. They specifically cater to the non fasionable and out of touch older men who do not wish to spend more than a few hundred on a suit.

How many Zegna, Brioni, etc suits are pleated? If you are interviewing someone for a corporate job you should be making enough money and spending enough on suits that your preferred suit labels dont even sell pleated pants. Hell, I'd be wary of even taking a job from a man wearing pleated pants.

"Preferred" by who? LOL ...and your comment about being wary of taking a job based on how a guy dresses? Too much! LMAO....Not trying to be offensive, but you havent made the impression you were aiming for. I just cant see someone like you being able to make prudent financial decisions.

You certainly have proven my earlier comment.
    Latest styles and fitted clothing projects youth. Youth does not project wisdom - dress mature.
    and I just saw on your profile youre 24 yrs old. LOL

There is nothing substandard about a suit from Jos A Banks or the Men's Warehouse, other than one cant brag.

I suggest you read the book, "The Millionaire Next Door". http://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Next-Door-Thomas-Stanley/dp/0671015206
  • StevePlatia
    StevePlatia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Flats for suits, but I don't mind some mild pleats for business casual. I like the modern fit suits and power suits. Go for it!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My hubby wears flat fronts.