Been going for a month and lost no weight

Options

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds in 5 weeks, and now the past three weeks have lost nothing. I eat NO MORE than 1200 calories a day, and often am around 1000. I drink NOTHING but water, and work out at the gym around 6 days a week. I have not broken 1200 calories, not even once, and am limiting my sugars and fat grams like crazy. No sodas, no fast food, and the scale is NOT moving. HELP!

25 pounds in 5 weeks is really fast. I don't know how much you have left to lose, but this link really opened my eyes. I now understand how my body works and it can work for me or against me. Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • kazaroona
    kazaroona Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Also have you measured yourself? You have lost fat and gained muscle which wouldnt have changed your weight but would have changed your size, making you smaller. Effectively what we all want when we say we want to 'lose weight' is actually 'get smaller' which it sounds like you are doing.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds in 5 weeks, and now the past three weeks have lost nothing. I eat NO MORE than 1200 calories a day, and often am around 1000. I drink NOTHING but water, and work out at the gym around 6 days a week. I have not broken 1200 calories, not even once, and am limiting my sugars and fat grams like crazy. No sodas, no fast food, and the scale is NOT moving. HELP!

You need to eat your exercise calories too so you NET at least 1200. MFP does not include the energy you need for working out, that is why it adjusts your calories to eat more for exercise. Eating less isn't better. You need to eat more than the minimum.

Or, figure out your BMR and TDEE and take a % cut from that and not eat the exercise calories back because that would be included in your TDEE.
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Here we go with the eat more thing again. Eating more is NOT for everyone. You need to fool around with what works for you and your body. I lose on 1200 a day and I do NOT eat my exercise calories. (go ahead, ready to be blasted) But it works for me! And im not tired, weak, lethargic etc etc...things they say will happen if you only eat 1200 a day. Maybe try eating half your exercise calories and see if that helps. When I have tried to eat my exercise cals back (I tried for a month) I gained weight. It wasn't for me. You gotta figure out what works for you.

You have significantly more weight to lose than the OP, and people who have more weight to lose can eat that low safely (for a time). You are right, not everything works for everyone, because you have to look at the specific NUMBERS for that person. Advising that the OP eat just 1200 is potentially unhealthy for her.

Did you even read what I wrote? I didn't advise her to eat 1200 a day. I told her to find what works for her and eat half her exercise cals back instead of all to see if that might work.
  • kazaroona
    kazaroona Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above post too....when I eat my exercise cals back I dont lose, so I try to only eat half of them back. Without a heart rate monitor you dont know what youre actually burning so I think MFP may be inaccurate or I am not working hard enough or working out my cals right, I dont know, but I know that I eat some back if I need to, but not all.

The eat more to weigh less science makes sense, but it doesnt work for me. (I know people will now say you ahve to wait 3 months etc to level out etc but it just didnt work for me. Eating less and moving more works for me.)

Also, look at what youre eating. 1200 calories of clean food is more filling and you seem to lose better than 1200 of 'unlclean' food.
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Three things.

1. When you go from not working out, to working out. Your body starts building core muscles & muscles in general. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat. That is why you are noticing your clothes fitting better, but not seeing the scale go down most likely.

2. Portions, Portions, Portions. Use actual measuring cups & spoons when measuring out portions of your food. Also get a food scale for meats. This will make a HUGE difference. You'd be amazed at what "the eye" perceives 3 oz to be, and what 3 oz really is.

3. Water! Yum! Drink lots and lots and lots and lots of water. Take out pop entirely if you haven't already. Drink Pop/Soda on special occasions only. Drinking a lot of water will help flush all the bad out of your blood stream.

Hope this helps. <3
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above post too....when I eat my exercise cals back I dont lose, so I try to only eat half of them back. Without a heart rate monitor you dont know what youre actually burning so I think MFP may be inaccurate or I am not working hard enough or working out my cals right, I dont know, but I know that I eat some back if I need to, but not all.

The eat more to weigh less science makes sense, but it doesnt work for me. (I know people will now say you ahve to wait 3 months etc to level out etc but it just didnt work for me. Eating less and moving more works for me.)

Also, look at what youre eating. 1200 calories of clean food is more filling and you seem to lose better than 1200 of 'unlclean' food.

Yes! Forgot that part. Thanks :) What you eat does matter. I try to eat as clean as possible and always get my recommended servings of fruit and above on my veggies most days. And sodium...if you eat a ton of stuff with sodium it will hinder loss. I keep my sodium below 2500.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I was having the same issue when I went from 184 to 163. I was eating 1200 a day and finally my body protested. I upped my intake to 1350 - 1500 and I started losing again. I also cut out all crap food, soda and stuff and ate more whole foods, and now I am 138 and I am eating 1900 calories a day =)

you can do it!

good luck!
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    more exercise---45 minutes per day--why not push a little harder, longer on the walks?
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back the excercise calories. Just eat the 1200. I lost over 13 lbs in 40 days
    NO. Just f-k NO.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Give it time. Sometimes it takes a bit before you really start losing weight. You did say that you can tell a difference in how your clothes fit so you are losing inches and you should count that as something. Sounds like you are on the right path. If you still have no weight loss then I would try changing your exercise regimen up a bit. Also, try the TDEE - 20%.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The diet coke and all soda really have to go--- a hard habit to quite, but that stuff is toxic and doesn't lead to weight loss or good health. Try not drinking it for two weeks---good luck!
  • missescrawford
    missescrawford Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am in exactly the same boat. feel free to add me. we can motivate each other. i am determined to get the weight off!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back the excercise calories. Just eat the 1200. I lost over 13 lbs in 40 days
    NO. Just f-k NO.

^^ agreed. You have to fuel your body.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Make sure you weigh and measure EVERYTHING. Log everything correctly (some of the foods listed in the database are incorrect - google helps with foods that do not have nutrition labels)

Drink water (personally, I drink up to 3L a day, but that's my preference, you certainly do not need to drink that much). Log any other drinks - a glass of OJ, milk, wine, log it... there's calories there!

Be aware of the fact that MFP could be overestimating your calorie burn.. but at 1200 calories, I don't think it's an issue if your burns are a bit overestimated.

Make sure you are weighing yourself at the same time of day in the same circumstances (I weigh first thing in the AM, after I pee, with nothing but a smile on)

Other than that, take a deep breath and relax. The weight WILL come off! I don't eat clean, and I don't pretend I do. I eat ice cream, and chocolate, and pizza... but I make it fit into my day. I've lost 56lbs thus far.

So, like I said, it WILL come off!!
  • Medusa3
    Medusa3 Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree!
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I know you've probably gotten all the information you need, but I'll still try to lend a helping hand anyway....maybe you're not eating enough calories, your body may be storing fat due to being too hungry. I would try upping your cal intake. Also, are you drinking enough water? Are you logging every single thing you're eating? Even a packet of sugar in your coffee needs to be logged. I hope you figure this out. Best of luck!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Make sure you weigh and measure EVERYTHING. Log everything correctly (some of the foods listed in the database are incorrect - google helps with foods that do not have nutrition labels)

Drink water (personally, I drink up to 3L a day, but that's my preference, you certainly do not need to drink that much). Log any other drinks - a glass of OJ, milk, wine, log it... there's calories there!

Be aware of the fact that MFP could be overestimating your calorie burn.. but at 1200 calories, I don't think it's an issue if your burns are a bit overestimated.

Make sure you are weighing yourself at the same time of day in the same circumstances (I weigh first thing in the AM, after I pee, with nothing but a smile on)

Other than that, take a deep breath and relax. The weight WILL come off! I don't eat clean, and I don't pretend I do. I eat ice cream, and chocolate, and pizza... but I make it fit into my day. I've lost 56lbs thus far.

So, like I said, it WILL come off!!

This!
    Also, find your BMR and TDEE exercise for 3-5 hours and eat that TDEE-20%. also do not forget that you are closer to your weight range for your height so it is more difficult to lose large quantities.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • clarewalsh5477
    clarewalsh5477 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I', a simliar height and wieght. I', loosing wieght slowly but it's coming off. Keep going :)
  • clarewalsh5477
    clarewalsh5477 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I', a similar height and weight. I'm loosing weight slowly but it's coming off. Keep going :)