Mom of 3- gonna try phentermine pill to help lose the weight

Options
Hi Everyone,
I am a 24 year old mother of two beautiful girls and one handsome little boy (Ages 6, 3, and 2)! I am considering taking the diet pill phentermine. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and had success? I am not huge, but I am not comfortable with the weight I have accumulated since the birth of my three kids. I would like to lose approximately 27lbs in order to reach my goal weight. If anyone else has tried this or knows of someone who has tried it, please feel free to let me know your thoughts. Also, if you would like to be friends on here then add me! I would like all the moral support I can get. Thanks!

Replies

• kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yup - Had great success while I was on it. But once I stopped all the weight came back and then some. This is a dangerous drug that is NOT approved by the FDA for weight loss.

It is the equivelant to street speed. Fast heart beats, disnyess, and I had withdrawls after I ernt off of it.

Although they make bug promises (and when I was taking mine it was an RX although the sell it at GNC without a RX now) it doesnt last.
    You can damage your heart and many other complications.

My suggestion is DONT.
  • Belle2
    Belle2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Very dangerous drug that can lead to alot of health problems farther down the road. Thats coming from someone who works in an ER and sees people who have taken it...
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Brittney, I can't speak for everyone, but I do believe that most of the people that joined this site do not believe in taking supplements. Good ole fashion healthy eating and exercise is the PROVEN method for weight/fat loss. Of course we would all love to lose ALL of our weight and have the body of our dreams by tomorrow, but that isn't realistic. I really hope you re-think taking this supplement. I understand that it is frustrating, but you will be right back here needing to lose your initial weight plus some if you don't figure out the healthy way to lose weight. We have all felt like you do! Good luck.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about it but I'm a strong believer of lifestyle change and exercise. No diet drug or fad diet you try is going to keep the weight off forever unless you learn how to eat properly and exercise. At least none that I know of. Everybody I know who has done the diets, pills etc have put the weight back on and then some. I hope you find something that works for you! Good luck! :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Isn't it illegal in the united states?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    OMG Brittney, I just clicked on your profile and saw where you live! How much of a coincidence is that? Out of all the hundreds of people I met on here that are in all 50 states and even overseas, you live in my backyard! lol
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I tried it as Adipex and it does help u lose BUT its also a stimulant that will have u crashing in the afternoon. Also it has terrible side effects such as the worse constipation of your life, and terrible dry mouth. Also ur body can become tolerant to it and it will stop working,so basically, save ur money girl and do it the tried and true way....
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Use MFP for a few weeks and see if you have results. When I was very overweight, I though that a pill or a surgery was the answer. I gave MFP a chance and I've lost 73 lbs. Try it the old fashioned way, you might be surprised what kind of success you have! Best of luck on whatever choice you make!
  • brittneybrown
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments and concerns. It is legal in the U.S if under a doctors supervision. I do plan on diet and exercising, but I figured why not try phentermine and get a jump start to the weight loss. If I learn to eat the proper things and manage my snack cravings, then when I go off of phentermine I will have had a lifestyle change and HOPEFULLY be able to keep the weightloss off for good. I know you all encourage not to try it, but I feel like I have to give it a shot. I will keep you all posted. I will also closely monitor my health. I work on a medical/surgical floor and will do routine blood pressure and heart rate checks.
  • brittneybrown
    Options
    Really? You live in West Paris too? How cool is that!
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Nothing works if it isn't the old way of portion control/calorie count and exercise. Please if you only have 27 lbs. to lose then do it nice and slow and you will get there in a healthy fashion for your 3 children. I have 2 young ones too so I know we do it to keep up with them but if I lost 55 lbs. by watching my food intake and exercising then so can you with only half that to go :wink:
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Truthfully diet pills are primarily a stimulant. It helps you burn calories because it increases your heart rate. And I'm sure we'll all agree that we don't feel like eating a hero while we are exercising, so while your pulse is up it your appetite is slightly decreased. I find that it was always a placebo for me making me feel like I was doing everything I could, and it increased endorphins so I was always in a much happier mood. They are also addictive and I went through a few days of nasty withdrawl from them. Be careful.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Brittney, I can't speak for everyone, but I do believe that most of the people that joined this site do not believe in taking supplements. Good ole fashion healthy eating and exercise is the PROVEN method for weight/fat loss. Of course we would all love to lose ALL of our weight and have the body of our dreams by tomorrow, but that isn't realistic. I really hope you re-think taking this supplement. I understand that it is frustrating, but you will be right back here needing to lose your initial weight plus some if you don't figure out the healthy way to lose weight. We have all felt like you do! Good luck.
    :flowerforyou: Very well put, I agree, the majority of members do prefer health and fitness to death and illness, I'm pretty sure of that.

You're so young and with young children, why take the risk of losing the bit you have to lose with drugs?? Eating healthy and working in more fitness will take you far!!! Your body will thank you for it every step of the way!!!

I hope you chose wisely for not only yourself but the kiddos as well:flowerforyou:
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I used it 2 years ago, my doctor prescribed it to me, It made me feel crazy. I couldn't get to sleep at night and would lay in bed restless, after 3-4 hours of sleep I'd be up wide awake going a hundred miles an hour. I stuttered on my words, my brain was foggy feeling, I'd drive to work and once I got there I couldn't remember how I got there. I chewed on my tongue and the inside of my cheeks, and clenched my teeth so then my jaw would hurt. I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest, it also would beat very fast. Those are just a few things that bothered me. When I told my dr about these things, he told me to take half a pill to start, which then didn't make a huge difference. He didn't like overweight people, and wanted me to take these. After deciding on my own to not take them, because they made me feel crazy, and I am a stylist and at the time a manager too, so I had to deal with the public, and couldn't do it anymore on the pills, I did gain like 25 of the 30lbs I lost on the pills. Which now I gained all of it back plus some. I am almost certain though, that I lost the weight that I did from exercising like crazy to help get rid of the restlessness feeling I had, and not eating at all. They made me not want to eat, I had to force myself to eat dinner which was usually like bird food. I seriously would exercise like 3 hours to help make my body tired so I'd be able to sleep. It never helped. I went to my new doctor because I moved, and asked to try those pills again, she absolutely refused to allow me to take them! They cause heart palpuations, and can cause holes in your heart. I asked if I could just have a month supply to get me started, and she just refused.
    I say stay away from them. :(
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments and concerns. It is legal in the U.S if under a doctors supervision. I do plan on diet and exercising, but I figured why not try phentermine and get a jump start to the weight loss. If I learn to eat the proper things and manage my snack cravings, then when I go off of phentermine I will have had a lifestyle change and HOPEFULLY be able to keep the weightloss off for good. I know you all encourage not to try it, but I feel like I have to give it a shot. I will keep you all posted. I will also closely monitor my health. I work on a medical/surgical floor and will do routine blood pressure and heart rate checks.
    Sounds like you made the decsion before you posted:huh: :noway:
  • roxxidavison
    Options
    I was going to respond, but I felt I needed to. My doctor actually put me on that to help curb my appetiete, but I am using diet and excerise to achieve my goal. I'm not crashing from it in the afternoon or have cotton mouth from it. I think each person is differently effected by drugs. So do what feels right to you. I still say watch what you eat and excerise.
  • AmyLynn4321
    AmyLynn4321 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've just heard too many horror stories of people dying on diet pills. I'm too paranoid to try them. Even the surgery - almost everyone I know that's had surgery has had complications. It can be done without it - even if you only have 27 to loose. I did a biggest looser competetion at work as part of a team. Most of the girls on my team only had about 20-30 to loose and they all met their goal or very close to it in 3 months.
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take it.

If I were you I'd stick with a healthy plan...lean proteins, healthy carbs and fats, lots of fruits and vegetables and an occasional treat. I never thought that just by keeping track of my calories I would lose weight and so far I've lost 12 lbs. since mid-June. Believe me, once you start tracking what you eat, you begin to make better choices. Realizing that the food I was eating was not as healthy as I thought, I began to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into my diet. Also, not wanting to see an excess amount of calories on my calendar, I cut back on sweets and fatty foods, and I make sure I excercise (gives you an allowance of extra calories). IT REALLY DOES WORK, GIVE IT A TRY WITHOUT THE PILLS. It will be better for you in the long run!
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    Yup - Had great success while I was on it. But once I stopped all the weight came back and then some. This is a dangerous drug that is NOT approved by the FDA for weight loss.

It is the equivelant to street speed. Fast heart beats, disnyess, and I had withdrawls after I ernt off of it.

Although they make bug promises (and when I was taking mine it was an RX although the sell it at GNC without a RX now) it doesnt last.
    You can damage your heart and many other complications.

My suggestion is DONT.

I couldn't agree more. I have a friend who uses it every time she want's to "crash diet" for a specific occasion...summer, wedding ect. as soon as she stops taking it she gains the weight right back plus some. I have never tried it because I am too afraid too, I have heard the same, not FDA approved and is the equivelant to street speed, something I defenitly would not want to be on if I were all by myself let alone around my children. I have given birth to 3 children as well, wasn't "overweight"persay but I wasn't comfortable, since joining MFP I have lost 26lbs and kept it off over the last 3months so far and don't plan on stopping here, I'd like to lose 10-15 more pounds but more then anything tone up now. I realize your at a point of deperation, I was there 3months ago too and would've done anything to lose the weight over the last year, MFP takes a little longer but is an extremely healthier way to lose weight. We all have done it the all natural way...I'm positive you can too. My advice would obviously be not to try it, lol. I wish you the best of luck in whatever decision you come too, I just hope it's the healthy one :flowerforyou:
  • brittneybrown
    Options
    healthychanges2, I guess I did have my mind made up before I posted. I have thought this through for awhile now. I was searching for anyone who had tried it and had success, but also wanted to hear any side effects, etc. As with all medications, there are side effects. You have to weigh the good and bad and see if it is worth it to you. I would never judge anyone for what they wanted to do to lose weight; whether that be diet, exercise, surgery, or pills. We are all united in this goal of losing weight together. Please understand where I am coming from. I don't feel like trying the pills to see how it affects me is wrong. I will give it a shot, and if I have bad side effects I will stop taking them. Have a good day! :)