Replies

• StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    "hearts and flowers and buckets of *kitten*"
  • theerachele
    theerachele Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I was seventeen I was sitting in my room with my boyfriend at the time (Now my husband!) and we were watching a movie with the lights off. We were seriously just watching the movie and sitting next to each other, I mean my mom was home! She came in & told me she needed to talk to me privately. She pulled me aside and said, "Rachel, this is how watermelon seeds are planted." It was creepy & a little terrifying. To this day I wonder exactly what she meant by that? I know it was probably some kind of weird sex talk, but it was so strange! That is the one thing that sticks out in my mind.. ten years later!
  • GeeGirl82
    GeeGirl82 Posts: 32
    Options
    Guilty by association.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Not my mom, but my 100 year old grandmother told me "Never tell a man what he can and can't do. Just make sure he understands that you can do whatever he does ten times worst. He wants a night off with his friends? That's fine. You go to Vegas for a week with yours."

^ LOVE THIS!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    When commenting on my questionable choice of friends (in her eyes): "You can bathe a pig, dress a pig, and take it to church - but sooner or later it will go back and roll in the mud." Looking back - she was right a lot of the time. :wink:
  • michellechawner
    Options
    My father: "More than a handful is wasteful" (in regards to boobs)

My mother: "Pick your battles wisely"
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    These are great! I recently asked my kids (18 & 9) what I say that they will remember years down the road. It was:

"Suck it up!" ( they need to learn to be tough, right?)

"Get your carcass off my couch!" (I do get sick of them laying there, staring mindlessly at the TV like they're dead)
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    My mom is brilliant... There are so many things that she (and my dad) said and taught me that have gotten me through challenges.

One of the things that has stuck with me was what she told me about drugs and alcohol when I was young. She said that if I ever got into "a situation" that I could always call her to come get me - no matter what, no questions asked. She didn't want me getting behind the wheel of a car while drunk or stoned, or getting into a car with someone else who was. I know that she wanted me safe more than anything. She recognized that kids do dumb stuff, and she wanted me to have a safe way home after doing that dumb stuff.

Oh yeah, and "When you grow up your kids are going to be just like you." She was right about everything else, so I have no reason to believe she won't be right about that. too. Thus, no kids!!!
  • BreeFeelinFree
    Options
    Told you so!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    "you are who you hang out with."

"Everyone pulls their pants down and takes a SH** the same way, so go out there and get 'em with no insecurities."

"the ones that tease ya, like/love you the most." (this was said to me through the school years as a way to get me through the hard times of being teased by the boys and by my older brothers). but it turns out... .She was right...
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    "I told you! No wire hangers, ever!"

:laugh: Great movie
  • skylarking036
    Options
    "Wait till your father gets home." To which I would be whimpering in the corner when he got home. Then it was, "You want me to give you something to cry about?"

Ahhhh...childhood memories.
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all..........................." Love you mum :heart:
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    In 5 years, everything will be different in your life....she was so right. :D But shhhh don't tell her that!
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My mom has always said these two things, that have turned out to be so true in life.

"Time will heal all wounds, but it will wound all heels. Don't run from your problems, because you'll never get away from them."

"When you hit rock bottom, stop digging!"

Both of these sayings never made sense until now. She's an incredible lady, and now I realize that she's always tried to teach us to just stand up and face the world!
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    "Get your butt outta my life and stay out forever".

Best thing ever, :)
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I could fill up pages of the awesome stuff my mom has said that kept me going.

The one that always works: This too shall pass.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    "Go outside and play"
  • superchunk17
    superchunk17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Tell me what you want.....and I will tell you how you can live without it