Best saying your mom ever said to you

Options

Replies

• butterflyluv1218
    Options
    "If wishes were horses beggers would ride" or "Stop treating me like a backwards two year old". My mom is so weird, lol.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    My mom always told me that hurt people hurt people. I didn't get it then but it makes me see people with different eyes now.
  • die2fat4love
    die2fat4love Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My mom, to this day, tells me that "the milk man must have been fat and short because you’re not big boned, your just fat and that is sooooo not from me" then she laughs and laughs. Ahh mom always the ray of sunshine in my life.
  • mg17601
    mg17601 Posts: 18
    Options
    I had 2 mom's, my mom and my mom-in-law. Whenever I'm in a bad spot or disappointed these always come to mind:

The only way out is through.

It's better than a stick in the eye.

If you have a wish in one hand and a big turd in the other, all you have is a handful of $#&T. (Still cracks me up)
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Tell me what you want.....and I will tell you how you can live without it

Oh I forgot my mom would say, "*kitten* in one hand and put your wants in the other & see which one gets full faster"
  • shannypoo21
    shannypoo21 Posts: 329
    Options
    After getting a whooping "Stop crying before I give you something to cry about" LOL still makes me laugh with pain til this day!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    "Getting older is terrible, but it's better than the alternative."
  • katie1286
    katie1286 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    "Always surround yourself with those that bring out the best in you, not the worst."

I'm finally listening to this one and it's made all the difference in the world!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My grandmother was a southern girl and always said either, "kill 'em with kindness" or "you get more flies with honey then ya do with lemons".... and she was so right on many occassions! I have only ever had issues with 1 nasty person after applying both those techniques.... I miss that woman! :love: :flowerforyou:
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    "The only way to get in the bush is to not beat around it." - My mom
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    After getting a whooping "Stop crying before I give you something to cry about" LOL still makes me laugh with pain til this day!

OMG!!! I heard that all the time...and now I say it to my kids :laugh: :embarassed:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    "Stop rolling your eyes like a dying calf in a hail storm!" I was an eye roller as a teenager and hated this expression. I still remember the day it came out of my mouth when my teenage daughter rolled her eyes at me. :laugh:
  • BeautifulBrownButterfly
    BeautifulBrownButterfly Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My mom would always tell us "Don't let NOBODY make a fool out of you"
  • KellyR72
    KellyR72 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    "Mom, I am STARVING!" Her response, "Honey, I think you can live off the fat of the land for awhile...."
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    "Never date a guy with better hair than you have." Pretty much her only piece of dating advice.
  • goldenboy2532
    goldenboy2532 Posts: 856
    Options
    My mom passed away 5 years ago unexpectedly. At the time I was 6'6" and 230. She used to tell me all the time that I was still not too big for me to put over her knee. I still somewhat live by those words. Nobody is so big that someone else can't put them over their knee and whoop em.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The best thing my mother every told me was to not worry about the things I didn't have control over. I'd get all stressed out about something going on at work and vent to her and she told me this and it made total sense. It's not always easy but it does work most of the time when I'm stressing myself out about stupid crap.

I later figured out that instead of wasting time and energy on the things you can't change, you should focus that time and energy on the things you can change. This applies especially to weight loss/fitness. Stop beating yourself up about binging last weekend - no one's invented time machines yet so you can't go back and fix it. Instead think about/plan how you'll tackle that same situation next time.

The one thing she used to say all the time that bugged the crap out of me:
    Me: I'm hungry, can I have a snack?
    Mom: Drink some water
    Me: But I'm not thirsty, I'm hungry! :fume:

Granted it didn't help that Mom was a bit of a food policer but now that I know that the body mixes those signals from time to time it makes sense. Damnit, I hate when it turns out that she was right! :)
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    When playing any sports or activities, "Get up, you'r fine! There's no blood!" Even though I might of had a concussion she was a big motivator lol!
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Mom had constant love and wisdom. She was my heart. But dad is famous for ...." You can do whatever you want, as long as you put your mind to it"...and you know what? He's right....
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    "Shut the front door we ain't air conditionin' the entire town!"