Is your 'goal' a number or a look?

Options
Yooperm35
Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
I am thinking about reevaluating my goal. My original goal was #127 with an ultimate goal of #124. However, after doing Jillian Michael's and starting insanity, I realized that my weight is more than it was when I was at my lowest, but my clothes fit better than they did back then --- must have been that 'skinny fat' thing going on.

So I think maybe my goal should just be a look - a feel - do I feel good, is it flabby and squishy or firm and toned?

How many go for a look/feel rather than a number?

Replies

• thisgirlhere
    thisgirlhere Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My first goal is to just be healthy by whatever method i'm being measured by. I'm overweight per BMI, my body fat % is too high and my waist measurement is a heart attack waiting to happen apparently. So I just want to get into a "normal" healthy range of numbers and then I'll think about my look.

I do have an old pair of jeans that I've had for years and it would be nice to get back into them though.
  • ShelbyNicole08
    Options
    I first thought it was about weight but sometimes I wouldnt lose anything but in 1 week lost 3 inches off my belly. I think what is most important is how you look in the mirror and do you like what you see and how many inches have you lost. You can be 140 but solid and muscle or your goal of 124 but it could be flabby. I would choose the 140 and toned :D
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    It's both - its a look but i'm not going to get to that look unless the numbers go down
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    My goal is a certain look. I stopped weighing myself at 135. I don't know how much I weigh now, but I am leaner, so that's all that matters.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It's a look and a feeling.
  • HopeDaleen930
    Options
    Ultimate goal, is to not have my lower gut resting on my thighs when I sit. Anything after that is just cherries on top!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My first goal is actually a number (I want to get down to 175), after I hit that goal it is a look/size.

I'm sure I will readjust the goal as each one approaches, but I'm keeping it flexible!
  • kahyee
    kahyee Posts: 63
    Options
    To fit into the dresses in my closet.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I started with a number in mind, now (having passed that number months ago) I'm going for a look.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My goal is to stay jazzed about being active and fit and to make it a lifestyle that I can sustain- to set and surpass new fitness goals and challenges. My goal is to get an endorphin rush every day and to try to remember that food choices are the fuel for my workouts. I've fallen short of this recently but every day is a chance to start again. A number or a look are great motivators too but for me the biggest rush comes getting all silly excited about stuff like doing my first pull up (done:) or unassisted handstand (getting there) and someday hopefully-running my first marathon (long ways to go).
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Mine is a look, the numbers arent as important because without the fit look and feel the numbers aren't gonna look good either. need one to get to the other.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    My actual goal is a look, but I know about what number will get me that look.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It's neither really. I just don't want armpit fat rolls. Haha!
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic! I always think it, but don't think I've ever discussed it.

I ran up the stairs the other day and noticed that when I got to the top (after taking the stairs two at a time) there was no jiggle. And it felt great! I am wearing the same size I did in high school, but I am more than 20lbs heavier...

I don't feel like I can judge by the number (on the scale or on clothing tags) any more. I'm going for a look/feel...and I'm almost there! how sweet it is!!
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I had a goal weight of 135 that I worked to. However, after getting there I realized that was just the start of this whole process. Since then I've lost ten more pounds and now do strength training and walking, and now I have the look I want :)
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I started with a number in mind, now (having passed that number months ago) I'm going for a look.

Hoping to be here--I want to hit a certain # which is not my lowest by any stretch--then I'll see how my clothes fit and how I look. Not going to get too hung up on the scale or jeans size. At least I'll be a lot less than my driver's license even considering I lied a bit.
  • PhiloPray
    PhiloPray Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    mine is a number.
    i have the look pretty much already. but i want the number to go down a few numbers more.
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get my BMI down to normal. I don't know if I'll continue with weightloss after that or if I'll just try to maintain. I don't think my body will ever be perfect after three children, but as long as I can buy the clothes I like and feel good about myself that's ok. My goal is also to get in good shape and be able to do more.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get my BMI to a healthy level. I started off morbidly obese with a BMI of over 39 and am now down to 27.5

The idea is to get to a BMI of 25 and then have a good, hard, honest look at myself and re-evaluate.

When I get to 25, it will be the first time I have been a healthy BMI since about age 10 and I am now 45.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Statistics prove that if you are in it for a number or a look you will fail!! You are either doing it as a lifestyle change or you want to feel better. Otherwise expect failure...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!