Is your 'goal' a number or a look?

Options

Replies

• JuliesZenpuppy7400
    JuliesZenpuppy7400 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My goal is a number because unfortunately I abused my body by being morbidly obese for so many years that the look I would love to have is no longer attainable so I'm just going to have to be happy with a number and being healthy and ALIVE!!!!!
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    A number. I just want to get to a normal BMI, but I wouldn't mind toning up too along the way.
  • justicekenny
    Options
    my goal is to live til 100 .... Boom
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Both!!

I want to like what I see in the mirror. I want to see strong muscle definition without too much "flexing"
    I want a number on the scale. This is not as important as it was about a year ago. I'm learning to take the number as a mere guideline.
    I want a certain body fat percent number.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Right now it is a number. When I get down to that number I am going to go for a look.
  • Skiffee
    Skiffee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My goal has always been just looking and feeling fit. I don't care what my weight is... if I can run for miles and I have some visible abs (Mostly so I can have a bit of self confidence I have lacked for the last ten years), then I'm going to be happy.

... Gotta be ready for that zombie apocalypse, ya know? ;D
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I think now its a look. I used to think that "if I can just get under 200lbs, I would be happy". Now I just want to be able to take my shirt off in public and not be embarrassed.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    both.
    look overall fitness but what's most important is quad and overall quad/glutes definition.
    there is no end goal, it can always be improved.

numbers. breaking my PR lifting numbers.
    possibly breaking records at my local meets in my weight class.
    I've never broken any records or been good at any sport, so that would be awesome.

second look: me in all my sweaty glory wearing several powerlifting medals
    or from track and field events. mostly the first one. the field events are just for fun.

ETA: the numbers on the scale and BF% mean very little to me. they are not what make me happy,
    nor do they determine my goal. I'll be fit the end. I don't need a number to get satisfaction.
    the scale and BF numbers are only useful for knowing what weight class to be in, and
    what % to cut or bulk at. that's all.

there is no perfect number, i'll be happy at this weight.
    no i won't. i'll have ****ty days and great days. being healthy doesn't change this.
    being at a certain weight doesn't solve any problems in my life. I'm doing it for me.
    the problems will be the same.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I started with a number, but over time my goal has changed: Now it's a much more broad. I will consider myself at goal when:

- I maintain no need for diabetes, blood pressure, or cholesterol medication Over time, I realize this goal may have to accept meds, for but now - I've kicked them and going to go with that as long as I can. (MET!)

- I can walk, jump, run, dance, kick, climb to keep up with my family without getting any more winded then my fit hubby (In progress!)

- I make healthy food choices at least 80% of the time (In progress, but close!) with a total calorie intake at or under 2200

- I exercise at least 150 minutes a week (MET!)

- I get in 10,000 steps at least 4 days a week (In progress)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    My goal is a number, but I really hope that it will coincide with loss of my pot belly.
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about reevaluating my goal. My original goal was #127 with an ultimate goal of #124. However, after doing Jillian Michael's and starting insanity, I realized that my weight is more than it was when I was at my lowest, but my clothes fit better than they did back then --- must have been that 'skinny fat' thing going on.

So I think maybe my goal should just be a look - a feel - do I feel good, is it flabby and squishy or firm and toned?

How many go for a look/feel rather than a number?

You can weigh more and look better with lower body fat % and more muscle! That is my goal, I'm over the "magic number" instead I want to LOOK good because that is what counts right?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    arbitrary number on a scale is pretty silly in my estimation. It's all about BF%. The number on the scale is made up of so many factors...skeleton, water, muscle, and fat. I know guys my height and weight with 25% BF. I'm 5'10" 180 and have a reasonable amount of muscle and about 19% BF...my best friend is same height and just a couple Lbs lighter but he's 15% BF. He looks the best of us by far...but I look a lot better than my buddies of the same height and weight @ 25% BF.

It's all about the BF%. I can't begin to even understand why so many people obsess about an arbitrary number on the scale...
  • vanessabear
    vanessabear Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Im so obsessed with the damn scale its rediculous! I'm trying to break that though. I thought it was all about that number but I want to look and feel awesome too. People say you look great (I've lost about 20 lbs and I'm 147 now) and not to lose anymore but now what I really want is to get rid of this jiggle in the middle. I've had a baby and I know that's why it's flabby! So now my main focus is cardio to burn the fat and tone tone tone!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Look, for sure. I don't care if I don't lose another pound as long as I look the way I want to.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options

... Gotta be ready for that zombie apocalypse, ya know? ;D

1. Cardio
    2. The Double Tap
    3. Beware of Bathrooms
    20. It's a marathon, not a sprint, unless it's a sprint, then sprint
    31. Check the back seat

Need I go on....?
  • yavrig
    yavrig Posts: 28
    Options
    my first goal was to go up the stairs without getting winded. after that, my goal was to walk 5 miles and not get exhausted. that's pretty much what i've been doing. my current goal is to tie my sneakers standing up on one foot without my belly getting in my way. with all the weight loss, now i'm battling belly skin getting in my way rather than belly fat. oh what a problem to have :D
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It's mainly a look I'm after
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Both. My goal is 18% BF but I just want a rockin' bikini bod
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My goal is a feeling: being strong and agile and fast and energetic.

I also want to look good naked.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I'm all about numbers. I want to have gone from body weight squats to squatting my body weight. After that, I want to be able to do that as a widowmaker.

Squat booty is a look though, and I wouldn't mind having one of those.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!