Squats yes but do you also deadlift?

Options

Replies

• redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    "There is no point in being alive if you cannot do the deadlift."
    -Jon Pall Sigmarsson

Deadlift and squat compliment each other. Each helps improve the other.

Not sure you have the background, but I think he also died while performing a deadlift.

"Jón Páll Sigmarsson died on the 16th January 1993 of a heart attack. He was deadlifting in his gym in Iceland when he suffered the heart attack, caused, it is thought, by a traumatic aortic rupture which was related to a weakened heart." -Wikipedia
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    -Jon Pall Sigmarsson

Not sure you have the background, but I think he also died while performing a deadlift.

Jón Páll Sigmarsson died on the 16th January 1993 of a heart attack. He was deadlifting in his gym in Iceland when he suffered the heart attack, caused, it is thought, by a traumatic aortic rupture which was related to a weakened heart, a problem that was known to exist in his family

People choke on food, crash their cars, slip in the tub and die during sex too... what's your point?

Don't eat, drive, bathe, or ****?
  • redhead1910
    Options
    -Jon Pall Sigmarsson

Jón Páll Sigmarsson died on the 16th January 1993 of a heart attack. He was deadlifting in his gym in Iceland when he suffered the heart attack, caused, it is thought, by a traumatic aortic rupture which was related to a weakened heart, a problem that was known to exist in his family

People choke on food, crash their cars, slip in the tub and die during sex too... what's your point?

Don't eat, drive, bathe, or ****?

I was just curious and decided to look it up. I lvoe deadlifts. lol
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    -Jon Pall Sigmarsson

what a way to go. that's how I want it, either lifting or doing something else i love, or sleeping.
  • redhead1910
    Options
    -Jon Pall Sigmarsson

what a way to go. that's how I want it, either lifting or doing something else i love, or sleeping.

Epic and Ironic all at the same time...
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I do deadlifts. But I worry about my back.
  • paultkohler
    paultkohler Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Redhead nailed it - the point is....Jon Pall Sigmarsson qoute in combination of how he died makes it "epic and ironic" at the same time. That doesn't happen very often.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Love me some deads!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've recently started doing the single leg deadlifts for the butt, butt, butt. (trying to make Cisco proud)

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBSingleLegStiffLegDeadlift.html
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

If you do them properly, there's nothing to worry about.

Aye. Doing them will strengthen your back.

Prefer deads to squats. I also do Bulgarian squats and particularly hate them because I feel like I'm going to topple over in front of everyone.
  • lhprop1
    lhprop1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    -Jon Pall Sigmarsson

He certainly did. It was supposedly genetic and ran in his family. Regardless of how he died, his quote is one that rings true and inspires many strength athletes like myself.

He left a legacy as one of the greatest strength athletes who ever lived and was a hell of a fun competitor to watch.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    Yes to deadlifts!
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I just started doing deadlifts this week, and LOVE them. I don't know if I can lift as much as an average female, but started with 95 lbs this week. I've been missing out all this time! I also started squats in the squat rack, rather than just body weight squats (boring), and I like those too, and started those at 105 lbs. It seems low, but getting the proper form for the first couple weeks will be the most important part so I don't get hurt.

So yes, I now deadlift and love it. :)
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I just started doing deadlifts this week, and LOVE them. I don't know if I can lift as much as an average female, but started with 95 lbs this week. I've been missing out all this time! I also started squats in the squat rack, rather than just body weight squats (boring), and I like those too, and started those at 105 lbs. It seems low, but getting the proper form for the first couple weeks will be the most important part so I don't get hurt.

So yes, I now deadlift and love it. :)

105 starting weight for squats is excellent. 95 of DL isn't bad either. Good job!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I do squats but the killer for me are deadlifts. Anyone else a big fan of deadlifts? By the time I've warmed up to my working weight I'm covered in sweat by the end of my set.

I squat so I can deadlift.

My schedule is squat then deadlift, and I really love deadlifts. LOVE THEM. So those are my reward for getting the squats done.

I've hit kind of a plateau because my deadlift strength is beyond my handgrip strength right now. it's a b.

What surprises me is that I'm the only one at my gym that I've seen doing deadlifts over 200#. There's a few bodybuilder peacocks, but they never deadlift heavy.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

word. so many people don't keep contact with shins and legs.

i love deadlifts. they are my 3rd favorite exercise, behind snatches and turkish get ups
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've recently started doing the single leg deadlifts for the butt, butt, butt. (trying to make Cisco proud)

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBSingleLegStiffLegDeadlift.html
    I just discovered single leg deadlifts. I do both....regular and single legs. I think the single leg ones are really helping my balance.

I also squat. But squats aren't my favorite. Deadlifts are. :heart:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

word. so many people don't keep contact with shins and legs.

i love deadlifts. they are my 3rd favorite exercise, behind snatches and turkish get ups

You are hardcore.

Those turkish get ups are bloody ridiculous. I do those at home, and my dog thinks I'm playing, so she's jumping on me/ at me... snapping at my face (she's 50 pounds too) while I'm trying to get up with 50#. It's hilarious until she lands on my ol fella.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I dislike them intensely. Then again I have a surgically altered spine so it is a little different for me. Also it reminds me of work. At work I frequently have to move very heavy items (like boxed gas grills and boxed swimming pools), and I frequently have to stack 45lb bags of things. Not to mention loading customers cars full of sacks of sopping wet heavy mulch bags. Dislike. Squats, now thats something I can learn to like doing.