Affordable Care Act Scare!

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    We had to cut back hours on some PT workers to stay under cap fro health care provisions in the ACT, or that would have added an additional $13+ million to our health care budget....and our premiiums went up again this year.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    The penalty for not having health insurance should be $1,000, it should be guaranteed refusal of emergency care. That will wake everybody up to the need for single payer real quick.

I don't think anyone should be denied coverage if it is an emergency. However, if it isn't an emergency I think hospitals should have a right to deny them to the ER. The amount of people who go to the ER for runny noses and coughs is outrageous.

I also work in the ER doing registration. It is OUTRAGEOUS how many people are using the ER like it is a dentist office. I have also had mothers bring their children in for a skinned knee (they were on Medicaid) Or better yet, we actually had a guy come in via ambulance for...get this...HEMORRHOIDS. Yes, he wasted not only the EMT's time but we the taxpayer are the ones who picked up the tab (he is on Medicaid).
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, we're paving the way for a better system in the future and there will be bumps along the way. I agree with the general concept that everyone being insured eventually leads to lesser expenses for all but it will be interesting to see how it all plays out in 2014.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, we're paving the way for a better system in the future and there will be bumps along the way. I agree with the general concept that everyone being insured eventually leads to lesser expenses for all but it will be interesting to see how it all plays out in 2014.
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I think we would be better off doing the following:

1) Securing the border
    2) Auditing all forms of current government health care (Medicaid, Medicare, etc.) for fraud, waste, and abuse.
    3) Limiting lawsuits

It seems the AHCA is more about governmental control than any real health care reform.

Remember, "we have to pass it to find out what's in it."

The more we find out, the more we need a do-over.

You're a second grade teacher. That is a great profession (that I wouldn't have the patience for). So what experience do you have to say "the AHCA is more about governmental control than any real health care reform."?
    Have you spent hours reading the ACA? Have you spoken to politicians or asked questions of your lawmakers?
    Have you read fearmongering blogs and message boards like this one?
    Hate to break it to you, but the lawmakers didn't spend hours reading it either.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    We had to cut back hours on some PT workers to stay under cap fro health care provisions in the ACT, or that would have added an additional $13+ million to our health care budget....and our premiiums went up again this year.

Just this past Monday the business where my mother works cut about 40 employees to 29 hours to stay under the 50 employee 30 hour average and at the same time put help wanted signs up. How screwed up is that?

Why did they do it now? Because the look back period is 6 months to determine your full time employee count come Jan 1.

Look for this to be a widespread practice.

Imagine being the owner of a growing small business that has 49 full time employees and needs to hire a few more. What are they going to do?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    WASHINGTON: Many people who buy their own health insurance could get surprises in the mail this fall: cancellation notices because their current policies aren’t up to the basic standards of President Barack Obama’s health-care law.

The National Association of Insurance Commissioners says it is hearing that many carriers will cancel policies and issue new ones because administratively that is easier than changing existing plans.

http://www.ohio.com/news/like-your-health-care-policy-you-may-be-losing-it-1.401817
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Rate Shock: In California, Obamacare to Increase Individual Health Insurance Premiums by 64-146%-

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2013/05/30/rate-shock-in-california-obamacare-to-increase-individual-insurance-premiums-by-64-146/
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

Just this past Monday the business where my mother works cut about 40 employees to 29 hours to stay under the 50 employee 30 hour average and at the same time put help wanted signs up. How screwed up is that?

Why did they do it now? Because the look back period is 6 months to determine your full time employee count come Jan 1.

Imagine being the owner of a growing small business that has 49 full time employees and needs to hire a few more. What are they going to do?

OK so if you have 49 employees now, and you aren't offering them the option of getting basic medical insurance... Who is paying for their medical care?

I AM.
    YOU ARE.
    THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY IS
    ALL TAX PAYERS ARE -

PLEASE UNDERSTAND that NOTHING IS MAGIC HERE. THE HIGHEST BILL RATE IS USED and the bill goes directly to the insured, the taxed and the wealthy.

Our country decided back in the thirties that health insurance would be an employment benefit not a government one. Was this because we're all red-blooded "we work and earn our care!"? Nope - it was because labor unions would be able to wield this a MAJOR BENEFIT of being a UNION MEMBER. yep. Union politics. So now are stuck with this economically ridiculous approach to medical coverage and we're trying to make it work without REALLY freaking out the population by totally overhauling it. We're trying to require employment to provide a shared cost method even if you aren't in a union or working for an organization that WANTS to provide insurance.

This isn't evil it's not a conspiracy it's not big government trying eff up your life - it's an attempt to fix an effed up system to make the costs 'smarter' and provide better outcomes for all of us.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Hate to break it to you, but the lawmakers didn't spend hours reading it either.

OK how does the this possibly justify being uninformed of the actual content? I quiz my congressional members, if only through their staff that answers the phone- you can do the same. You can demand they know as much as they need to but you need to do more than just post fear and rage because an uninformed population is really just a mob. We have ALL THIS INFORMATION right at our FINGER TIPS! It's not like our parents day - when you would have to drive to your state capital or DC to get a hard copy to read. We can all read the ACTUAL text and not the paid press's version. But it takes effort and energy which is much harder to muster than just yapping on the internet. You seem bright but maybe you DON'T want to know the truth because it's so fulfilling to be filled with moral indignation!

I have found that when ever you dig deeply into ANY of the big divisive issues in the world, when we wade in and read the details - there is no "clear" answer. REALLY SMART, REALLY COMMITTED, people work hard on BOTH SIDES of almost every issue you can name. And they have some excellent compelling arguments but these arguments are WAY TOO COMPLEX to fit into a news bite on FOX or MSNBC. They won't make you angry and they won't fill your soul with indignation! They're often kinda boring and illicit more of a groan than banner building flag waving emotion.

Information is powerful. Please don't settle for the "preaching to the choir" BS you get on the mega-corp news programs. Read the Wall Street Journal - read the long boring stuff with no pictures. Listen to the WHOLE story on the NPR website not the five minute version they air. Go dig up the sources they use and make sure they used them in context!

In case you hadn't guessed it - I don't have much time to watch TV -:embarassed:

To the person who registrars people at the Emergency Department - your ED may be out of compliance if you register them prior to they're being evaluated by a medical professional to determine if they WILL be treated in an ED. If you do do this, and they're being treated you can be sure your hospital has a policy for this. Some states reimburse at ED rates for all medicaid patients regardless of the reason - this would be a great example of "playing the system" - treat a skinned knee, use pennies of services and bill the state a share of total costs of the department divided by total patients treated. In these situations it PAYS to treat as many non-ill patients on medicaid as you can. If you only reject uninsured and under-insured patients but take ALL the medicaid patients it's a pretty good funding source! By US states, the only service a patient presenting with a skinned knee is entitled to? An evaluation my a medical person to determine how serious. Zero tests, Zero band aids just a check to see if the presenting issue warrants ED usage. If your ED is treating this kind of injury you may be actually witnessing a federal crime if it's federal dollars, more likely with Medicaid it's a state fraud. Here's a link for you (you may be entitled to a % of the ill-gotten funds your ED has pulled in through treating skinned knees! http://oig.hhs.gov/fraud/report-fraud/index.asp AGAIN what you're talking about here is MEDICAID what this board has been discussing is ObamaCare - not remotely the same thing. Trust me, if you see a newly insured citizen, their private for profit healthcare will NOT pay for an ED to treat their skinned knee.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

OK how does the this possibly justify being uninformed of the actual content? I quiz my congressional members, if only through their staff that answers the phone- you can do the same. You can demand they know as much as they need to but you need to do more than just post fear and rage because an uninformed population is really just a mob. We have ALL THIS INFORMATION right at our FINGER TIPS! It's not like our parents day - when you would have to drive to your state capital or DC to get a hard copy to read. We can all read the ACTUAL text and not the paid press's version. But it takes effort and energy which is much harder to muster than just yapping on the internet. You seem bright but maybe you DON'T want to know the truth because it's so fulfilling to be filled with moral indignation!

I have found that when ever you dig deeply into ANY of the big divisive issues in the world, when we wade in and read the details - there is no "clear" answer. REALLY SMART, REALLY COMMITTED, people work hard on BOTH SIDES of almost every issue you can name. And they have some excellent compelling arguments but these arguments are WAY TOO COMPLEX to fit into a news bite on FOX or MSNBC. They won't make you angry and they won't fill your soul with indignation! They're often kinda boring and illicit more of a groan than banner building flag waving emotion.

Information is powerful. Please don't settle for the "preaching to the choir" BS you get on the mega-corp news programs. Read the Wall Street Journal - read the long boring stuff with no pictures. Listen to the WHOLE story on the NPR website not the five minute version they air. Go dig up the sources they use and make sure they used them in context!

In case you hadn't guessed it - I don't have much time to watch TV -:embarassed:

To the person who registrars people at the Emergency Department - your ED may be out of compliance if you register them prior to they're being evaluated by a medical professional to determine if they WILL be treated in an ED. If you do do this, and they're being treated you can be sure your hospital has a policy for this. Some states reimburse at ED rates for all medicaid patients regardless of the reason - this would be a great example of "playing the system" - treat a skinned knee, use pennies of services and bill the state a share of total costs of the department divided by total patients treated. In these situations it PAYS to treat as many non-ill patients on medicaid as you can. If you only reject uninsured and under-insured patients but take ALL the medicaid patients it's a pretty good funding source! By US states, the only service a patient presenting with a skinned knee is entitled to? An evaluation my a medical person to determine how serious. Zero tests, Zero band aids just a check to see if the presenting issue warrants ED usage. If your ED is treating this kind of injury you may be actually witnessing a federal crime if it's federal dollars, more likely with Medicaid it's a state fraud. Here's a link for you (you may be entitled to a % of the ill-gotten funds your ED has pulled in through treating skinned knees! http://oig.hhs.gov/fraud/report-fraud/index.asp AGAIN what you're talking about here is MEDICAID what this board has been discussing is ObamaCare - not remotely the same thing. Trust me, if you see a newly insured citizen, their private for profit healthcare will NOT pay for an ED to treat their skinned knee.

I don't know where you are, but 90% of the skinned knees in the ER here are illegal immigrants that don't have a US address. The hospital writes them off as a complete loss. However if they refuse them for any reason they lose their tax exception. Catch 22.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

my wife's employer just cut a number of workers to part time as well.

I'm amazed that people making laws either do not consider or do not care about the "unintended consequences."
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I am shocked that anyone thought this was going to be "affordable". Think about it.

Actually I live in MA, we've had to have insurance for years and, though there are some flaws, overall it has lead to a higher quality of health and availability of care to residents.

what does someone in the middle class pay a month in premiums? What percentage of your gross income?
    I can answer that one. At a modest income of $52K per year in Iowa, I am at a Middle Class income and live in Iowa. I was unhappy with my employer's choice of health care insurance, so I looked elsewhere outside of the system. The premium quotes I received for a $500 deductible were in the ranges beween $550 and $900 per month. These were mostly with Blue Cross/Blue Shield and seemed reasonable to me considering what premiums I paid through my employer as well. HOWEVER: these were all HSA plans!
    (edited to include my state)
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options

OK so if you have 49 employees now, and you aren't offering them the option of getting basic medical insurance... Who is paying for their medical care?

I AM.
    YOU ARE.
    THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY IS
    ALL TAX PAYERS ARE -

PLEASE UNDERSTAND that NOTHING IS MAGIC HERE. THE HIGHEST BILL RATE IS USED and the bill goes directly to the insured, the taxed and the wealthy.

Our country decided back in the thirties that health insurance would be an employment benefit not a government one. Was this because we're all red-blooded "we work and earn our care!"? Nope - it was because labor unions would be able to wield this a MAJOR BENEFIT of being a UNION MEMBER. yep. Union politics. So now are stuck with this economically ridiculous approach to medical coverage and we're trying to make it work without REALLY freaking out the population by totally overhauling it. We're trying to require employment to provide a shared cost method even if you aren't in a union or working for an organization that WANTS to provide insurance.

This isn't evil it's not a conspiracy it's not big government trying eff up your life - it's an attempt to fix an effed up system to make the costs 'smarter' and provide better outcomes for all of us.
    THANK YOU! Yes!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I pay 3.25% of my gross income for insurance for me and my family (number doesn't matter, we get a flat "family" rate). My employer pays an additional 9.75% of my gross income for my insurance (they cover 75% of the full cost). So overall the cost of my health insurance is 13%.

History provides me with no examples of things becoming more cost-effective when the federal government is involved. It is by definition a cost-center and generates no revenue of it's own. Just the cost of administering the new health regulations in terms of staff required are astounding, and none of that money actually provides health care to anyone.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I pay 3.25% of my gross income for insurance for me and my family (number doesn't matter, we get a flat "family" rate). My employer pays an additional 9.75% of my gross income for my insurance (they cover 75% of the full cost). So overall the cost of my health insurance is 13%.

History provides me with no examples of things becoming more cost-effective when the federal government is involved. It is by definition a cost-center and generates no revenue of it's own. Just the cost of administering the new health regulations in terms of staff required are astounding, and none of that money actually provides health care to anyone.

I love you. :flowerforyou:
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    One thing I like about Canada - I pay $600/yr provincial health premium - that's 0.8% of my income. Together with my employers extended coverage, even my prescriptions are free. :smile:

So your federal, provincial and GST taxes don't go towards health care at all, just the $600?

I was wondering the same. What are they paying in taxes total compared to the taxes on Americans with SS, income, payroll taxes? Not to mention any State or Local taxes.

And what if your current plan has to make changes to their policies to meet the Obamacare standards? I can bet they will raise their premiums along with that...

Reading this thread horrifies me. I love my provincial health care!

As for funding, our liquor costs a LOT more. At least in Ontario, the LCBO (the regulated liquor store) transfers a significant amount to our provincial health care. It's a good system, the more you drink the more you contribute to your health care.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Lol, who could have guessed that? Guess everyone's premiums won't be going down as promised

The exact line was "families are going to be paying $2500 less per year"
    Gee, what a surprise it won't work out that way.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

my wife's employer just cut a number of workers to part time as well.

I'm amazed that people making laws either do not consider or do not care about the "unintended consequences."

Unemployment plummets. More people are working but less people are making ends meet. Socialism in the modern world. And someone that lives in a large white house has accomplished a few more of their goals.
  • AndyLL180
    AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am looking at having to pay monthly premiums of nearly $1000 a month or $10,000 a year!!!! That's almost 10% of my gross income before taxes and everything else that is taken out!

I just put in my number... 6 figures (so no subsidy) and single with no kids and the result I got back was:

$3,018 yearly for the bronze plan and $2,501 for the silver plan.

I'm not sure where you got your numbers.

And if you already have insurance you don't have to go through the exchanges.

And yes high deductible plans are allowed.

So much mis-information out there....