Discouraged:(

Options
2»

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost anything since April 9th. Keep losing and gaining the same 2 pounds over and over. Don't be discourage...I'm not. You have done REALLY well for 2 months. Evaluate your food intake and tweak it if necessary. Change your exercise routine so your body doesn't get in a rut. You will see a difference. Just hang in there. Remember that there is NO time limit on losing weight, just as there was no time limit GAINING it. ;)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    @ marchadite Ive tried logging what I eat its hard to try and keep up with it though but its no excuse I could do better..and thank you for your encouraging words

@gracie lynn I just measured a couple of days ago to try an keep up that way..and I took pics at the beginning and I do see a difference in my stomach but that's about it..and thanks for your encouraging words

Also what does TDEE mean..I new to all of this Im really lost when it comes to eating and working out properly..Im flying by the seat of my pants I just eat what I think is right and work out...I just started the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and I do a lot of pilates at work as far as working out

TDEE stands for total daily energy expenditure. It's the number of calories your body burns in a day and also the number of calories you'd need to eat to maintain your current weight. Eat anything below your TDEE and you should lose weight. You can find plenty of calculators online to figure yours out, like this one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Ok so what is the BMR??

Basal Metabolic Rate - It's roughly the number of calories your body would burn in a coma to keep all your organs running, blood pumping, etc.
  • Tishae
    Tishae Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @ marchadite Ive tried logging what I eat its hard to try and keep up with it though but its no excuse I could do better..and thank you for your encouraging words

@gracie lynn I just measured a couple of days ago to try an keep up that way..and I took pics at the beginning and I do see a difference in my stomach but that's about it..and thanks for your encouraging words

Also what does TDEE mean..I new to all of this Im really lost when it comes to eating and working out properly..Im flying by the seat of my pants I just eat what I think is right and work out...I just started the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and I do a lot of pilates at work as far as working out

TDEE stands for total daily energy expenditure. It's the number of calories your body burns in a day and also the number of calories you'd need to eat to maintain your current weight. Eat anything below your TDEE and you should lose weight. You can find plenty of calculators online to figure yours out, like this one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Ok so what is the BMR??

Basal Metabolic Rate - It's roughly the number of calories your body would burn in a coma to keep all your organs running, blood pumping, etc.

ok so I shouldn't worry about that number only the TDEE number right?
  • Tishae
    Options
    My advice would be the throw out your scale especially if you are working out that much! Instead, break out the measuring tape! You'll also want to make sure you are getting the appropriate amount of protein since you are probably gaining muscle with your work outs! Suck that water down as well! Good luck!

Funny thing is I don't even own a scale..I only weigh at work. Its like im addicted to the scale I weigh everyday Im there which is 3 days one week and 4 the next lol smh I probably need to stop smh
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    First: you've lost a reasonable amount of weight so far.

Just a heads up, people will need to see your food diary to advise you, so you should open that now instead of having it private.

I will say right now that the most probable cause is that you aren't eating enough for your current size and activity level. Figure out your TDEE using this calculator with the "20% reduction for fat loss" option. That is the number of calories you should be eating to lose weight.

This is probably higher (maybe much higher) than the number of calories you are currently set at. Increase your calories by 100 per week until you hit the right number. Expect your weight to stay the same as you increase your calories, then it will start dropping again.

Here is the calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

This^^^^
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options

Ok so what is the BMR??

You need to eat between your BMR and TDEE. This is a good post, it's a long read, that explains a lot of the questions you're having. It also has links to calculators to help you determine your BMR, TDEE, and daily calorie goal. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Based on what you've said so far and assuming you're accurately logging your food, it's possible you're not eating enough. Too much of a deficit can slow/hinder weight loss as much as too little of one.
  • Tishae
    Options
    I haven't lost anything since April 9th. Keep losing and gaining the same 2 pounds over and over. Don't be discourage...I'm not. You have done REALLY well for 2 months. Evaluate your food intake and tweak it if necessary. Change your exercise routine so your body doesn't get in a rut. You will see a difference. Just hang in there. Remember that there is NO time limit on losing weight, just as there was no time limit GAINING it. ;)

Thank you its hard when I feel ive worked so hard not to see the scale move down it got to me when I seen 182..and you shouldn't you look great...what did you do to lose weight?
  • Tishae
    Options

Ok so what is the BMR??

You need to eat between your BMR and TDEE. This is a good post, it's a long read, that explains a lot of the questions you're having. It also has links to calculators to help you determine your BMR, TDEE, and daily calorie goal. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Based on what you've said so far and assuming you're accurately logging your food, it's possible you're not eating enough. Too much of a deficit can slow/hinder weight loss as much as too little of one.

Ok thank you I will read..Ill do anything at this point to get on the right track...thank you all for your help sorry for all the questions that you all have probably answered a million times over lol
  • joelsumrall
    joelsumrall Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    dude.... 12 lbs? Are you kidding? You're awesome.

Just relax. Let the site do the math and move on. Just don't lie to the calculator, or yourself, and you'll get there.

If you have to stress it, pace while you fret, and list it under "cardio".

Really... 12 lbs. ain't bad. I thought I was bad for gaining 2 lbs over a weekend, but lost 1 over night, so, don't get discouraged, YOU CAN DO IT !!
  • Tishae
    Options
    dude.... 12 lbs? Are you kidding? You're awesome.

Just relax. Let the site do the math and move on. Just don't lie to the calculator, or yourself, and you'll get there.

If you have to stress it, pace while you fret, and list it under "cardio".

Really... 12 lbs. ain't bad. I thought I was bad for gaining 2 lbs over a weekend, but lost 1 over night, so, don't get discouraged, YOU CAN DO IT !!

yea it wasn't bad at first until I seen I gained yesterday then that's when I got discouraged. I was so happy and proud of myself then when I stepped on the scale and seen I gained a couple of lbs that's when I got discouraged because I didn't know what I had done wrong when I felt like I was doing everything right...but with the help of you all Im going to keep on and STAY AWAY FROM THAT EVIL SCALE LOL
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    This is kind how my day goes on my work days..when I get home around 730 am I eat a mcmuffin or drink a protein shake go to sleep then wake up around 2 pm and eat salmon and rice or a lean cuisine dinner then snack on a piece of fruit around 6 pm by then im headed to work...I get to work I probably wont eat nothing until 10 pm..then snack again on a breakfast bar..then around 2 am I go work out then eat oatmeal around 4 430 in the morning..then repeat this over again...on my days off its more balanced and I drink about a liter or 2 of eater everyday...I started losing weight around end of March I believe

first, you've done awesome losing what you have :)

But I am wondering if you aren't actually eating too few calories? especially if you are working out 5 days a week. Aside from the mcmuffin most of that menu sounds like not very many calories. Maybe add some good fats and protein calories in?

I realize you are just getting off of work, but maybe moving your mcmuffin and shake earlier so you aren't eating right before bed might help?

The tracking will be helpful too :) It keeps me honest about what I am eating - including the little things like the seasoning I use on a chicken breast etc. But it also helps me look at how much sugar or protein or whatever that I am eating. I was pleasantly surprised that I was actually eating very little of the sugar (10%) and only about half of the carbs that the tracker said I could have and this was nice to know :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Thank you its hard when I feel ive worked so hard not to see the scale move down it got to me when I seen 182..and you shouldn't you look great...what did you do to lose weight?

Thank you! I have type 2 diabetes so I have to watch my carb and sugar intake. Most people don't have to worry about that but I attribute most of my success to limiting my carbs and refined sugar as well as a little exercise thrown in. My diary is public....feel free to check it out.

Its taken me a YEAR to get where I am...and it was worth every minute. So, as tough as it may be, try not to be discouraged....it will happen. :)
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    TDEE-20% is awesome. Scales are evil!
    Don't stress if the scale doesn't move, its not a good indicator of progress. For example I have only lost 10 since starting here and that weight came off the first week I joined, then I gained 4 lbs, at my last weight I had dropped 2 lbs. I was freaking out over this and had to remind myself that I keep having to buy new clothes because I'm really shrinking. I dropped 5 SIZES while gaining weight. Also you may be just retaining water and that can add even 10 lbs to the scale weight (if you are like me.) Toss the scale and watch your clothes fit you better and then become too big.
  • Tishae
    Options
    This is kind how my day goes on my work days..when I get home around 730 am I eat a mcmuffin or drink a protein shake go to sleep then wake up around 2 pm and eat salmon and rice or a lean cuisine dinner then snack on a piece of fruit around 6 pm by then im headed to work...I get to work I probably wont eat nothing until 10 pm..then snack again on a breakfast bar..then around 2 am I go work out then eat oatmeal around 4 430 in the morning..then repeat this over again...on my days off its more balanced and I drink about a liter or 2 of eater everyday...I started losing weight around end of March I believe

But I am wondering if you aren't actually eating too few calories? especially if you are working out 5 days a week. Aside from the mcmuffin most of that menu sounds like not very many calories. Maybe add some good fats and protein calories in?

I realize you are just getting off of work, but maybe moving your mcmuffin and shake earlier so you aren't eating right before bed might help?

The tracking will be helpful too :) It keeps me honest about what I am eating - including the little things like the seasoning I use on a chicken breast etc. But it also helps me look at how much sugar or protein or whatever that I am eating. I was pleasantly surprised that I was actually eating very little of the sugar (10%) and only about half of the carbs that the tracker said I could have and this was nice to know :)

Ok Im going to try an switch things around...cooking meals is hard with how I work but im going to try because these lean cuisine are getting kinda old lol
  • Tishae
    Options

Thank you! I have type 2 diabetes so I have to watch my carb and sugar intake. Most people don't have to worry about that but I attribute most of my success to limiting my carbs and refined sugar as well as a little exercise thrown in. My diary is public....feel free to check it out.

Its taken me a YEAR to get where I am...and it was worth every minute. So, as tough as it may be, try not to be discouraged....it will happen. :)

I totally understand both of my parents are diabetics ...I wanna be an inspiration to them so that they can lose weight also and eat healthier..well you did a good job I wanna show my parents that they can do it too....Im happy that you have lost the weight and living a healthier lifestyle GOOD JOB!!
  • Tishae
    Options
    I have another question for you guys..what is the best heart rate monitor out there that is not so hard on the pocket..majority of the ones I looked at we're very expensive
  • bio01979
    Options

Ok Im going to try an switch things around...cooking meals is hard with how I work but im going to try because these lean cuisine are getting kinda old lol

I totally get the cooking thing lol, but for me it is mostly because I abhor cooking. Maybe try making things on one day off for the whole week at work? I have a few friends on fb that even do this with salads using a mason jar - seems funny to me but it apparently works :) But you can do things like cooking chicken for a salad and cutting it up in advance :) I find I try to make enough to have left overs the next day at least :) Like last night I made 3 pork chops even though it is just me. I had one and now tonight and another meal, all I have to do is throw some rice in the rice maker and make some veggies :)
  • bio01979
    Options
    I have another question for you guys..what is the best heart rate monitor out there that is not so hard on the pocket..majority of the ones I looked at we're very expensive

my coworker was saying the other day they have some at wal mart for like 50.00 that apparently work well. I am not sure though because I just take my heart rate like I always have periodically as I am working out with my fingers on my pulse lol :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    With the frozen meals being so high in sodium you might be having some water retention as well. If you have time during your days off you can always prepare some meals ahead of time and put them in the freezer. Skinnytaste and Emily Bites have good, simple to make recipes.