MILK

Options
13»

Replies

• skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I love cheese and yogurt but absolutely will not drink milk...I can't stand the taste.

This ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 1%. Still buy that for the kids, but recently switched to unsweetened almond milk, LOVE IT. I rarely drink it straight- usually in my cereal, or in a smoothie. 30 calories, more calcium than regular milk and less fat.

And less protein.

I still also think besides the protein issue that I'd prefer the calcium to occur naturally and not be added. I did use almond milk for a while but I see some benifits to real milk that it doesn't have.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    whole milk kefir...that is all.
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if a low sugar, high protein milk exists?

I recently discovered how much sugar was in my skim milk :/

I'm in the UK btw

The sugar in milk is just the lactose, which can be considered a natural sugar like that in fruit. Nothing to fret over.
  • fxgs
    fxgs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Raw milk is the way to go. I get it weekly at the local farmers market.
    Naysayers, do a search for raw milk and read about it.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    whole milk kefir...that is all.

Oh my goodness yes!!!! That stuff is addictive and good for you at the same time. Love it!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The sugar in milk is just the lactose, which can be considered a natural sugar like that in fruit. Nothing to fret over.
    Depends 'iifym' :).
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Milk is great for calcium for your bones. Semi-skimmed milk is better than skimmed milk - skimmed milk is mostly water.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Keep in mind, though, that not everyone can get their hands on it even if they wanted to. In most states in the US, it's illegal to sell raw milk (like "shut down your farm, bankrupt you with fines, and take everything you have" illegal), and in many cases, it's even illegal to buy it in another state and bring it across state lines.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    tumblr_m5cnhhaOjC1rwcc6bo1_500.gif
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I was young, my mom made milk from powder because it was way cheaper than the real thing and there were four kids to feed. Then it was 2% later on but I never liked either. Gave up milk for awhile when I first moved out on my own but then started drinking skim and finally craved milk. Use it in smoothies every day and straight up some nights before bedtime. No point forcing yourself to drink a certain type based on calories/fat/sugar/carb counts if you really don't like the taste. Drink whichever is your favourite. ~
  • xoxtarajeanxox
    Options
    tumblr_m5cnhhaOjC1rwcc6bo1_500.gif
  • xoxtarajeanxox
    Options
    I guess I'll be trying almond milk!
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would say whatever you like, as long as it fits into your day and works for you. I drink almond milk, because osteoporosis runs in my family and milk is terrible for bone density. I also do weight training to help prevent this in the future. But really, have whatever you like!
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Options
    I have always drunk whole milk, because there's nothing like the real thing. But I don't drink much of it, because milk isn't actually good for you in any form. I know it is a base, but your body treats it as an acid. Your bones have to pull calcium out to counteract it, so getting calcium from green vegetables is actually the better way to go. But it does taste soooo good, so I still drink it every once in a while as a treat, and I use it on my cereal. If you are feeling brave, you could try soy, almond, or rice milk, which are much better for you. Almond is my personal favorite. I don't think 1% or 2% milk is different enough from whole to be worth the sacrifice, so if you're going for it, go all out...

^^THIS. I love almond milk too, as does my husband and daughter, and more recently, my mom. There are 8 different kinds that I know of, and they usually have "original" and "unsweetened" varieties. I use the unsweetened to cook, but the sweetness in the original is so darn tasty! We intended to try other varieties, but liked the almond so much, we never bought another type.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Options

Keep in mind, though, that not everyone can get their hands on it even if they wanted to. In most states in the US, it's illegal to sell raw milk (like "shut down your farm, bankrupt you with fines, and take everything you have" illegal), and in many cases, it's even illegal to buy it in another state and bring it across state lines.

All of this. No, I do not consume dairy myself, but I think it's terrible that we can choose to do so many unhealthy things to our bodies, but this decision is out of our hands. People have the right to decide for themselves and for their families.