strong is the new skinny (pics)

Options
I know most of the people here think MFP is all about losing weight. Surprisingly, though, some of us are here to get gain their to healthy. I'm one of those. And, I learned so much about food in my almost 2 years of being here. I am so thankful I found MFP.

About 4-5 years ago, I was under 100 pounds. I'm 35 and stand in at 5'5", so at 30, that was just not acceptable to me. I had no idea the problems I was causing my body because of not eating. I didn't eat for the same reasons people do eat - stress.

I could not be healthier or happier now. I share this for others who are trying to gain. Looking back, its embarrassing, but looking back and looking at now, I'm proud of how far I've come, what I've overcome and where I'm going. I'm never going back.

fitandstrongnewskinny.jpg

2009 - 98 pounds soaking wet...

6376_150485974407_6199154_n-1.jpg

gaining...

twoyeardifference-1.jpg

Replies

• Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I like the "heavier" you so much better....Bry you are looking AMAZING! Keep up the lifting my beautiful friend!
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Wow....you're a rockstar
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You look fab, well done x
  • shawnmaire74
    shawnmaire74 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You look so good. Fit, fab and healthy. Thanks for sharing.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    nice keep eating kiddo
  • fitnwhole
    fitnwhole Posts: 227
    Options
    AWESOMENESS!!!!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your very hard work and determination. You look amazing. Seriously, ridiculously amazing.

I hate you. A lot. <grin>
  • EyelushGlam
    Options
    I just found this site glad to know it really helps!
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I think I like the 25% body fat better, but that is just me. In both pics you look really great though. Good job on your progress.

Definitely never go back to 98lbs...my sister looks like that today and she scares me.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Wow. You look fantastic! :]
  • apachebat
    apachebat Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You are looking GOOD!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Been a great friend since I started here! You ROCK!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,369 Member
    Options
    I'm here for much the same reasons, although I've been an underweight ectomorph all my life and I think it's "normal" for me. My BMI is currently 16.

But, like you, when I'm under stress I don't eat much. When my mum died I went for three days without eating one weekend, without realizing it -- I had never felt hungry.

The onset of peri-menopause and a family history of osteoporosis got me worried about my muscle mass and bone density, so I started looking into fitness (particularly weight-bearing exercise) for the first time in my life. Plus my body wasn't looking as firm as it once did -- some bits were downright mushy -- the dreaded "skinny fat". I also wanted to start tracking my sodium intake per doctor's orders as I inherited hypertension from my dad.

Anyway, I've started lifting (light!! so far) based on all the rave reviews on here. Hopefully I'm doing something good for my appearance as well as my future health.
  • HereCOMESErika
    HereCOMESErika Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know most of the people here think MFP is all about losing weight. Surprisingly, though, some of us are here to get gain their to healthy. I'm one of those. And, I learned so much about food in my almost 2 years of being here. I am so thankful I found MFP.

About 4-5 years ago, I was under 100 pounds. I'm 35 and stand in at 5'5", so at 30, that was just not acceptable to me. I had no idea the problems I was causing my body because of not eating. I didn't eat for the same reasons people do eat - stress.

I could not be healthier or happier now. I share this for others who are trying to gain. Looking back, its embarrassing, but looking back and looking at now, I'm proud of how far I've come, what I've overcome and where I'm going. I'm never going back.

fitandstrongnewskinny.jpg

2009 - 98 pounds soaking wet...

6376_150485974407_6199154_n-1.jpg

gaining...

twoyeardifference-1.jpg

Go girl!!!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thanks everyone! The 25% was not terrible, but wasn't going to help me win any competitors. Also, I really love my abs. :heart:
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    *happy dance!!!*
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Strong really is the new skinny. Congrats! :drinker:
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Great job gaining, you look awesome! and thank you so much for sharing
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You look great!!! Awesome job!
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    You look so strong and healthy now! Great job!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!