Let's be serious about Paleo

Options

Replies

• Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    "[/quote] Millions have been spent on various diet fads but the ONLY way to combat obesity is the general 'moderation, portion control and consistency with cardio and weight training' I LOVE counting calories as it really works for me but I also work out 5-6 times a week and satisfied with the results to date.

I am very reluctant to turn Paleo or any other 'diet fad'."
    [/quote]

I AGREE.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree with the OP more. The diet works because calories taken in are drastically reduced because the foods eaten make you feel fuller with less calories. But whole food groups are taken out of the diet for the wrong reasons. I worry about the long-term effects on bone structure and cancer development on a diet so lacking in Vitamin D and Calcium.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    You seem to be on a mission.
    Trying to explain why the diet works so people will understand the effectiveness rather than using the argument of reverting back to the stone age.

The original basis is wrong

Who the f cares? If it works for folks, and people want to try it. Let em.
    Then why even go online on the forums? This is for educational purposes.

ranting against it is not equal to educating people.

I was not ranting. I am educating people the effectiveness of paleo and incorporating the reason it works into a normal diet. Did you even read it?
    This wasnt a full out anti-paleo thread.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    You forgot to mention why the satiety on processed food is so low. Obesity researchers call sugar (sucrose) and high fructose corn syrup, the "anti-satiety" element in processed food. It is included in virtually all processed food, and especially restaurant food: it supplies only calories. The reason why a diet that eliminates processed foods and sweets works is that it eliminates the non-satiety foodstuffs while retaining the nourishing foods our bodies crave (even if our minds don't). Being successful includes training our minds to want what our bodies want. :wink:

There is no scientific evidence stating about sucrose being the cause of obesity. If you actually look at the index why is it that fruit has a high satiation if the carbohydrate in there is sucrose?
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Roasted orange peal with honey and cinnamon is one of my favorite holiday treats.
    Im glad thats the only thing you grabbed onto the whole thread
    although ill have to give it a try.

LOL.... Great thread... I never even heard of the Paleo diet until recently... I eat everything in moderation, but because I like how non processed food make me feel majority of my diet is lean meats veggies and fruits with small amounts of bread carbs usually near TOM :o)

Yay! To eating everything in moderation!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Trying to explain why the diet works so people will understand the effectiveness rather than using the argument of reverting back to the stone age.

There are many satiating foods that paleo scorns.

That is true but their basis on no processed foods is what allows it to be a successful diet

A lot of diets have that basis though.
  • DatMurse
    Options

There are many satiating foods that paleo scorns.

That is true but their basis on no processed foods is what allows it to be a successful diet

A lot of diets have that basis though.
    such as?
    what big name diets?
    atkins? no
    veganism? no
    vegetarian? no
    zone diet? no
    IFFYM? no
  • LuckyFur
    LuckyFur Posts: 96
    Options
    Bump

I have a hard time taking Paleo seriously and this may help.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Bump

I have a hard time taking Paleo seriously and this may help.

the thing is paleo does work, its their presentation, scientific basis, food group elimination is what I have a problem with.
    tumblr_mkxoj7mQAw1riakx3o1_500.jpg
    The raptor goes in the middle
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I was not ranting. I am educating people the effectiveness of paleo and incorporating the reason it works into a normal diet. Did you even read it?
    This wasn't a full out anti-paleo thread.

Just to provide a little unsolicited feedback, while it wasn't an anti-paleo rant, your topic did have a "soapbox" feel to it.

If you wanted to communicate the same point in a less preachy way, I would start with why good diets work (satiety), show how paleo supports satiety, and then point out that it's also needlessly restrictive. Making the point that it's a got some strong points, but goes too far.

What would have been even better - because you have some great content here - is to look at more than one of the more restrictive diets to see how they measure up on satiety and maybe even try to pull stats on their effectiveness. Time consuming, but really valuable to the MFP community.
  • DatMurse
    Options

Just to provide a little unsolicited feedback, while it wasn't an anti-paleo rant, your topic did have a "soapbox" feel to it.

If you wanted to communicate the same point in a less preachy way, I would start with why good diets work (satiety), show how paleo supports satiety, and then point out that it's also needlessly restrictive. Making the point that it's a got some strong points, but goes too far.

What would have been even better - because you have some great content here - is to look at more than one of the more restrictive diets to see how they measure up on satiety and maybe even try to pull stats on their effectiveness. Time consuming, but really valuable to the MFP community.

There are not many diets that follow the route of unprocessed foods that were as successful as paleo. The problem in the end is based off of sustainability and the content I linked were to studies that were published on the effectiveness of nonprocessed foods.
    This post was not meant to be a sticky but as a discussion. He was the only person who had a true problem with the post and was talking about me ranting. I was pointing out what was effective on paleo.

Out of all the diets paleo is the one which contained the least processed foods and put it on a near full restriction.
    As I said before the following diets do not restrict processed foods
    veganism
    vegetarianism
    atkins
    zone diet
    IIFYM(they are supposed to consume "healthy" and "unhealthy") but does not have set guidelines.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    There are not many diets that follow the route of unprocessed foods that were as successful as paleo. The problem in the end is based off of sustainability and the content I linked were to studies that were published on the effectiveness of nonprocessed foods.
    This post was not meant to be a sticky but as a discussion. He was the only person who had a true problem with the post and was talking about me ranting. I was pointing out what was effective on paleo.

Out of all the diets paleo is the one which contained the least processed foods and put it on a near full restriction.
    veganism
    vegetarianism
    atkins
    zone diet
    IIFYM(they are supposed to consume "healthy" and "unhealthy") but does not have set guidelines.

I guess "Diet for a Small Planet" never really took off, did it. If I can remember "Eat More To Lose Weight" emphasized whole foods, but that died with the low fat thing in the 90's.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can't be serious about paleo. I just don't have it in me.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I believe there is another reason why Paleo and other variations work. The more I am reading about Paleo and other like-minded diets, I have notice the diets are following a very high fiber model (i.e. low gi foods ... good, high gi foods ... bad). I believe there is a study happening now which compares the effect of very, high fiber diets with low carbs.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    The cereals in that chart must not include milk. I can pound several bowls of cereal and still be hungry.

As for paleo, meh. If I was going to do a diet, it would be that one.

I do have to say that your criticisms of Paleo are as silly as the diet itself. The tenets of Paleo are no more silly than your proposition of
    "Obesity(Physically) is caused by the laws of thermodynamics of in>out"
    OF COURSE it's in>out, but you've just thrown out the incredibly complex mechanisms that the body uses to manage energy. Not all calories are made the same. Satiety is a big part of it, bu it's not the sole contributor.
  • Martinsmuze
    Martinsmuze Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    DatMurse, I appreciate your post. Thank you.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    One thing that I've noticed it that my toddlers consistently choose food low in dietary fiber, while I need to pay attention to my consumption of those foods to feel full. I've begun to wonder if that's one of the differences between kid and adult nutritional needs.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    One thing that I've noticed it that my toddlers consistently choose food low in dietary fiber, while I need to pay attention to my consumption of those foods to feel full. I've begun to wonder if that's one of the differences between kid and adult nutritional needs.
    Kids are a little different. I do not read studies of pediatric nutrition. All I know is let them eat foods that they enjoy and that was from my maternal and family nursing classes.
    Their metabolic rate is obviously higher than their calories per lb of weight calculation and all metabolic calculations do not apply to kids because of their growing and it is highly individualized.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    The cereals in that chart must not include milk. I can pound several bowls of cereal and still be hungry.

As for paleo, meh. If I was going to do a diet, it would be that one.

I do have to say that your criticisms of Paleo are as silly as the diet itself. The tenets of Paleo are no more silly than your proposition of
    "Obesity(Physically) is caused by the laws of thermodynamics of in>out"
    OF COURSE it's in>out, but you've just thrown out the incredibly complex mechanisms that the body uses to manage energy. Not all calories are made the same. Satiety is a big part of it, bu it's not the sole contributor.
    I agree. If I had to blindly follow a a fad diet(with a name attached to it) it would be paleo.

That isnt the case and we are capable of utilizing energy requiements.

but tin regards to the causes of obesity I separated the physical and mental aspects of it. It is natural to eat to satisfaction.

with unprocessed foods you hit that much sooner than you do for processed(calorie wise)
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options

veganism
    vegetarianism
    atkins
    zone diet

Raw vegan eliminates processed foods!