MFP's Runners Club..June 27th...AGAIN!

13»

Replies

• kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Terry and Shannon

Enjoy those ten mile runs tomorrow. That is the next goal for my long runs. Since I did 8 miles in record time last week, I may attempt 10 miles on Sunday. Haven't decided.:huh:
  • kechiemc
    Hi hi! I usually run at night, but tried to start running in the mornings. It was hard though, and I usually just end up running at night anyway.

Why do so many of you run in the mornings? Is this a convenience thing? Or are there health benefits? Or is it simply a weather thing? I'm curious if i should make more of an effort to switch my 8 pm run to an 8 am run.

I am NOT a morning person. I run in the am mostly to get it over with. I am terrified that if I wait till evening I won't run.

During the summer months, it is a requirement b/c of the heat and humidity. I think I would die if I ran in the evening. It is so hot here.

I also like running in the am b/c all day long as I make food choices it is on my mind that I ran. I don't want to undo my run.:laugh:

It is weird but on days that I don't run I want to eat more (and I usually do).

Lastly, I am a chronic insomniac. If I work out in the evenings, I find that it takes even longer for me to settle down for bed. On days that I work out in the morning, I am very tired and sleepy at/or before bedtime.

I think it is a personal choice and if 8 pm works well for you keep going.:drinker:
  • kechiemc
    Hello!
    Good job to all who got up early this morning! I ran 3 miles in 33 minutes. I tried taking smaller strides and I am icing my shins now, so hopefully they will not be sore this weekend. Good luck to all on your long runs this weekend.

Yay!:drinker: Hope those shins feel better soon.

Have you decided when you want to do your half marathon?
  • kechiemc
    I just got home.
    I had to take my oldest daughter to the doctor to discuss her breathing problems. She is snoring like a grown man at night and can't seem to breath through her nose. We've already ruled out allergies so this morning after the Dr's appt, we went and had X rays taken to see if her Altoids and sinuses are normal. If not, she may have to have surgery. My poor baby!

I bought Jeff Galloway's book last night and I started reading it. I really like how he focuses on your resting your body and making sure to over work your body while training. His training schedule is more than reasonable and I was even wondering to myself if it was enough. :wink: But I guess someone with his expertise knows what he's talking about. lol
    I've decided to sign up for the 1/2 marathon and I will start training on Sunday. I'm going to take the next couple of days off and I'm just enjoy myself.

Have a wonderful day my friends!

Sorry to hear about the kiddo Mireille. Hopefully the docs can fix her up. She is prob not sleeping well with her issues.

I too LOVE Jeff Galloway. He has a proven system for helping people at any level successfully run marathons. I too am running a half this year, November. There are quite a few of us on this board doing halfs this year. Feel free to share your ah-has from the book with us.

When is your half?

:heart: -Kechie.
  • jdtrainer
    jdtrainer Posts: 160
    There is a training group called USA Fit that has training groups that utilize a run/walk program similar to what Jeff Galloway advocates. They are located in many large cities across the country. They give you a training schedule for during the week and then you get together with the group for the long run on the weekends.

They have groups for both full and half marathons. I trained with them several years ago and really loved the running groups. They have all different pace groups and coaches assigned for each pace. They even have walking groups. So if any of you living in or near large cities, might want to check them out.

I have not been using a run/walk approach, but I am thinking about trying 13 miles Sunday using that method.
  • rdhsm
    rdhsm Posts: 16
    Hello!
    Good job to all who got up early this morning! I ran 3 miles in 33 minutes. I tried taking smaller strides and I am icing my shins now, so hopefully they will not be sore this weekend. Good luck to all on your long runs this weekend.

Yay!:drinker: Hope those shins feel better soon.

Have you decided when you want to do your half marathon?

Kechie:
    There is a half marathon Oct 5 and one on Nov 1st that I am debating between. As for the shins... I have done well today. Probably a combination of the ice and strengthening since I have been a "runner" now for a couple weeks :).
  • kechiemc
    Good for you. I have been running over a year now and I still have a hard time thinking of myself as a "runner". My half is in November.

best
    -Kechie.
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    6 miles.