Is your 'goal' a number or a look?

Options

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have a number in mind but I will work at it till I am happy with how I look (then of course work on maintaining that look). Right now it's looking like I will need to lose more weight than I initially thought.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    mine is a number
    but i see what u mean by a look
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Honestly, more of a look... but I am watching the numbers to make sure I am getting there.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting forum.....I too am aiming for a number....one that is realistic for me. After that, I think how I look. But I want to keep an eye on that scale and not let it get too far ahead of what I feel comfortable with....Life happens and I want to be able to be flexible with my diet and exercise routines at times and find my happy plateau. Has anyone reached their happy plateau yet?

I just hit mine last week, after finally getting my weight to stabilize (I've been transitioning to maintenance since March and it's been ridiculously challenging ugh). For the first time in my adult life I can say I don't have a problem 'area' anymore-this coming from someone who last summer refused to wear shorts and wouldn't wear my one piece, skirted suit without a cover up. Now I'm rocking shorts and I just bought my first bikini :happy:

I also finally kicked my big diet soda habit-been soda free for two weeks and feel great-I'm now totally caffeine free :) I'm also easing up on the weighing-now I'm doing weigh ins 2-3 times a week, instead of twice a day! I'm very happy to finally 'be here' and I'm excited to see the continued changes that will come with my strength training/walking regiment.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I guess when I started, maybe like a lot of us. It was a number. As we get close to it, it became a look, a feel. I'm coming off of Total Knee Replacement 8 months ago, so it was also getting fully rehabed, which meant losing weight, to reduce stress on the new knee, increasing flexibility (which meant exercise which meant losing weight). And along the way, the feedback, both from the mirror and from friends, family and co-workers, is almost addictive so I want more. Now it's keep the number but get change the body -- reduce fat, add muscle. So now it's look. And feel. Feeling and moving better than you have in 40 years is its own reward.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    When I first started it was all about the number....that was 18 months ago. Now it's all about the look, feel, and my performance. I feel like if all of those things are in check and consistently improving then the number will adjust accordingly :smile:
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    My goal is totally a look. I guess I do kind have a number in mind but the look I'm going for is more important.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Very much a look rather than a number!!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    My first goal is to get to 160 & if I feel like I need/want to lose more weight I'll set my goal to either 150 or 140. If I like my weight at that size I'll look into lifting weights & toning up my body.
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    That's tough to answer honestly. My mission was to hit a certain number, but I like how I look at that number so I guess it's safer to assume the number. But then again I wanted to hit my high school weight but didn't yet I have a smaller waist now. Ugh forget it I don't know
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I started at 306 with an initial goal of 150 (roughly half my size). But, I'm not stuck on the number. I may to get 175 and decide that is perfect. I may get to 150 and decide I can go further.

I have never been under 175 as an adult. So I don't know what 150 will look like.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    It's a little bit of both. I absolutely want to be under 200 pounds. But I want to not look fat. I want to look like I'm in shape
  • colapopmusic
    Options
    My goal number is the number that I know that I FEEL and LOOK my best at :)
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I hit below my 'goal' weight and now It is a look I am going for. I need to tone. There are squishy and flabby bits I am not very happy with right now.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Neither. My goal is increasing what I can do.
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Mine is a look. I had a number in my head at first but I realized I have no idea what I would actually look like. I'm about 4 pounds over that goal right now. I would really rather get my body fat down so I have added in lifting heavy and dropped some of my cardio. I also have added more calories back trying to add in more protein.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    To be healthy. Weight loss will follow. Mine did
  • aNewMiniMe
    aNewMiniMe Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Both - I have my weight goal of 130 at 5'3", which is 7.4 pounds away now, but as I get closer I realize I am not in the shape I need to be. Very, very squishy around the mid section and the thighs.........they are not even close to pretty. So once I reach my goal weight and am able to maintain it for a period I too will quit weighing and just continue to work on toning. Muscle does weigh more than fat but generally we are still losing fat when we are putting on the muscle.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It's both - its a look but i'm not going to get to that look unless the numbers go down

This
  • ajones1227
    ajones1227 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think now its a look. I used to think that "if I can just get under 200lbs, I would be happy". Now I just want to be able to take my shirt off in public and not be embarrassed.
    [/

That's what I think now. Just to be under 200lbs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!