WEIGH IN EVERY DAY OR ONCE A WEEK

Options
Hi all! I struggle with deciding on when to weigh myself. I used to weigh myself everyday, but am thinking of weighing once a week. When I weighed myself everyday, I felt I could see if I was making progress and then be encouraged to keep at it the next day or be discouraged if I wasn't making progress and hopefully do better the next day. I am going to try weekly this time. I hope I don't get discouraged if I don't lose for the whole week. :noway:

What works for you and why?

I would love to hear from you.

Vicky/Michigan by the Lakeshore :happy:

Replies

• gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Once a week (or less) at the same time of day. Every Monday at 8 AM for example. Weight fluctuates because of a variety of factors too much for a daily weigh in to be accurate.
  • stefisdeadgood
    stefisdeadgood Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and take note of the change from the previous weeks weight. I try not to get discouraged if the scales go up for a day or two. If they go up and stay up for more than a few days I think about if there's anything I need to change.
  • eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday to make sure i'm on the right track, however I only update my weight on my profile on a Wednesday "weigh-in wednesday"
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Daily measurements at the same time are great. Just have to realize the numbers will bounce around a bit and they're not the complete picture of what's going on in the body.
  • JudieJudes
    JudieJudes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am quite ad hoc about weighing myself but I met a lady on holiday who was in her seventies and in great shape - slim and still with a distintive waist line. Her secret (according to her), was to weigh herself every single day and take action if she gained.

Take Care

JJx
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    Everyday, first thing I do in the morning. Has helped me see patterns in my monthly ups and downs so now i don't get freaked out when I hit that point in my cycle.
  • Pnuke77
    Pnuke77 Posts: 23
    Options
    I do every Friday after work. Gives me motivation to stay healthy through the weekend which is usually my downfall.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Once a week!!!!!!!!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Once a week in the morning
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i d o every Monday morning naked
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself most days, but I only record 1x/week. Tuesday mornings.

I don't stress about temporary ups and downs - I just like to note them mentally. Like if I was trending down all week, then had a big work dinner on Monday night and overdid it on sodium and/or wine and the scale is up on Tuesday morning, I don't wonder why. I just assume it will come back down the next Tuesday.
  • jolene_ca
    jolene_ca Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Every day. I use the Libra app for it. It's great and tells you your 7day change, an estimate based on current progress for when you will meet your goal etc.
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week.
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you are personally affected by fluctuations in your weight, both up and down. If you only want to see a steady decrease in weight, then once a week, or even much less...some say not at all. I personally love seeing the fluctuations every day. I get to see patterns in my weight based on my living patterns. That's fun for me, but others get hugely demotivated when they see an uptick. So, it really depends on you. There's no right or wrong answer.
  • Heidi0630
    Heidi0630 Posts: 27
    Options
    I weigh myself a couple of times per week, but I only record my weight every Monday morning.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Everyday, first thing I do in the morning. Has helped me see patterns in my monthly ups and downs so now i don't get freaked out when I hit that point in my cycle.

That! You have to do it in the morning, just panties or naked, after you visit the restroom, before breakfast. You will also notice patterns when you eat late at night, drink soda or sparkling water, consume a lot of sodium, increase exercising intensity or start a new workout. That way you won't panic if you see that you gained 5lbs overnight and know that it is just water.
  • glp724
    glp724 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I WI daily because I like data. I record whenever I feel like it.

If a 2lb fluctuation will ruin your day or will cause you to derail from your eating or workout plan, then maybe daily isn't good for you. If you just like numbers and information and might want to see how a salty/sugary meal one day might affect the next day's weight, then daily might be fine.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I weight 2-3 times and week and record progress whenever there's any! :happy:
  • redhead_k073
    redhead_k073 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I weigh in weekly. I have a history with ED so I know if I weigh myself daily I will become obsessed with the number and which direction its moving. So by weighing myself weekly I can prevent myself from sliding back in my ED past.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily as that keeps me on track...back in December I got sick for 6 weeks with the flu and literally ate 10 crackers total and water within 6 weeks and didn't weigh as I just knew I was losing weight from not eating. Nope, I gained 17 pounds! It's the only time in 3 years I quit weighing daily and I will never do that again. I don't know how I gained weight, I nearly cried!
    BUT
    Everyone has to do what is right for them.