Exercise during pregnancy.....

Options
2»

Replies

• pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    (Midwifery student here...)

The main thing is that you avoid exercises that are overly strenuous, have heavy bouncing or jumping, or involve the core abdominal muscles. DO NOT DO sit ups, crunches, plank, etc. as those can cause an abdominal rupture (tear in your abdominal muscles).

Good things to do would be walking, swimming, hiking, yoga, prenatal exercise videos, gentle dancing (belly dancing is actually GREAT for preparing for labor!), elliptical, bicycling, tai chi, gentle aerobics (no bouncing/jumping)... things like that.

Be sure to increase both your water and salt. Since your blood volume has increased, you need more of BOTH to keep everything balanced and to prevent pre-eclampsia. High-mineral sea salt is best (the more color the better). And eat lots of protein and healthy fat after you workout (ie nuts/nut butter, beef jerky, etc).

Always check with your OB or midwife to find out weight-lifting restrictions, or specific movements to avoid, depending out your particular needs/abilities/condition.

The "no ab exercises during pregnancy" thing is a myth. It's actually really important to keep a strong core during pregnancy, to prevent back pain during pregnancy and to aid in delivery and recovery. Honestly, if you're going to do ONE THING it probably should be core work! Of course, lying on your back after the first trimester may not be advisable, but planks continue to be a great option.

Here are a couple sources 0
    http://www.webmd.com/baby/features/exercise-during-pregnancy-myth-vs-fact
    http://www.babycenter.com/406_is-it-safe-to-do-sit-ups-or-abdominal-crunches-during-pregna_1246888.bc
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I would not take the advice of anybody who is not a qualified clinician that is up on the latest evidence-based and peer reviewed information on the subject. I suggest you ask your OBGyn.

I can share with you my wife's experience (she's a nurse BTW and did some research along the same lines). At the time (12 years ago) the conventional wisdom from the American Academy of Pediatrics was that you should slow down once your heart rate gets to a certain point, (I think 70% of MaxHR) which for her was 135 beats per minute. The concern was that a very high heart rate could interfere with the flow of blood across the placental barrier. There is some newer research that calls the 70% rule into question. I can't speak to it in detail but I understand that they looked at the training and experience of a group of women who were running and doing triathlon training and found no adverse effects.

My wife, a world class power lifter, remained active during her pregnancy by doing circuit training and cycling. She wore a heart rate monitor and slowed or stopped when it started beeping at the 135 BPM threshold. In fact she was doing squats while she was 8 months pregnant with our twins, and that impressed even the most stalwart of meatheads in the gym.

In any event, I would treat anything you read on the Internet with a grain of salt and seek out the advice of a qualified, licensed OBGyn who is up to date on the subject.
  • pamelak5
    Options
    I would not take the advice of anybody who is not a qualified clinician that is up on the latest evidence-based and peer reviewed information on the subject. I suggest you ask your OBGyn.

I can share with you my wife's experience (she's a nurse BTW and did some research along the same lines). At the time (12 years ago) the conventional wisdom from the American Academy of Pediatrics was that you should slow down once your heart rate gets to a certain point, (I think 70% of MaxHR) which for her was 135 beats per minute. The concern was that a very high heart rate could interfere with the flow of blood across the placental barrier. There is some newer research that calls the 70% rule into question. I can't speak to it in detail but I understand that they looked at the training and experience of a group of women who were running and doing triathlon training and found no adverse effects.

My wife, a world class power lifter, remained active during her pregnancy by doing circuit training and cycling. She wore a heart rate monitor and slowed or stopped when it started beeping at the 135 BPM threshold. In fact she was doing squats while she was 8 months pregnant with our twins, and that impressed even the most stalwart of meatheads in the gym.

In any event, I would treat anything you read on the Internet with a grain of salt and seek out the advice of a qualified, licensed OBGyn who is up to date on the subject.

FACOG no longer subscribes to the 140 bpm limitation (this change happened after your wife was pregnant). You're supposed to go by how you feel - and if you feel faint at 130, that's too high, and if you feel fine at 160, that is just fine. But there are certainly old wives' tales that are patently untrue in the vast, vast majority of pregnancies - silly guidelines like "don't lift your arms above your head", "no ab work" or,"don't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk."

Regardless, I agree with the poster above - these are questions for your OBGYN who can make recommendations based on your specific situation.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I really dislike the idea of someone trying to burn calories while pregnant. With the amount of women who undereat and overexercise, NO!. You're asking for a miscarraige if you're anything like probably more than half of women who attempt to exercise and diet. Seriously, you need to do a lot of research and talk to doctors and be realistic with your goals. This isnt a laughing matter.

You should probably be doing some kind of light strength training and light cardio, but absolutely not attempting to manage your weight. Hell, I'm pro choice, but, don't do in the one ya want to keep.
  • pamelak5
    Options
    I really dislike the idea of someone trying to burn calories while pregnant. With the amount of women who undereat and overexercise, NO!. You're asking for a miscarraige if you're anything like probably more than half of women who attempt to exercise and diet. Seriously, you need to do a lot of research and talk to doctors and be realistic with your goals. This isnt a laughing matter.

You should probably be doing some kind of light strength training and light cardio, but absolutely not attempting to manage your weight. Hell, I'm pro choice, but, don't do in the one ya want to keep.

While I agree that weight loss shouldn't be a goal while pregnant, I want to state for the record that exercise does not cause miscarriages. In fact, regular exercise in pregnancy reduces the chance of miscarriage. As I was pretty active before pregnant, my doctors told me I could (and should) continue running, plyometrics, core work, heavy lifting as long as it was comfortable. (If I didn't do those things before, that would be a different story). And, it seems that most pregnant women are likely to gain too much, which causes gestational diabetes and a whole host of other problems.. I agree that you should check in with your doctor periodically to monitor weight gain and sometimes, that plan will include counting calories.
  • BeFitMom
    BeFitMom Posts: 17
    Options
    During pregnancy, the fetus and placenta uses glocogen (stored carbohydrates) as fuel, and mom's metabolism switches to stored fat for energy. Because of this duel system, it is safe for over weight and obese women to moderately restrict calories to prevent excessive weight gain during pregnancy.
    As to exercise, both mom and baby receive numerous, outstanding health benefits from regular, moderate level, cardiovascular exercise during pregnancy.
    NO studies show a correlation between moderate exercise or moderate calorie restriction during pregnancy.
    Helene Byrne, BeFit-Mom
  • rekki83
    rekki83 Posts: 6
    Options
    There are plenty of exercises you can do while pregnant. Make sure to get the clearance from your care provider first. As long as you are not high risk you can exercise.

You only need an additional 400 calories per day to nourish a growing baby. Most people think when they are pregnant, now is the time to eat whatever and whenever and blame it on pregnancy so kudos to you for staying in shape, you'll also find that labor is easier too and getting into shape after will also come easier.

To those who don't agree with exercise during pregnancy, small baby, the baby might fall out, whatever...Not true. My last pregnancy was 42 1/2 weeks. My son came late but was a healthy 9lb 7oz boy at 22 inches long. :-D

Swimming is great, the water supports your belly and it's also relaxing and fun

Jogging

Walking

Squats - They also open up the pelvic area and make for an easier delivery

Lunges

You can do light weights for toning your arms, nothing heavy, maybe 3-4lbs each hand should be more than enough.

Yoga - some places offer prenatal yoga classes

I would not recommend situps. Be safe, drink plenty of water and don't over exert yourself. Have fun :-)