Pool embarrassment...

Options

Replies

• cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    First of all, nobody has the right to judge your size or form. Try a kickboard or ask for lessons if you don't like your skill level. My experience is that people at the pool tend to be pleased with folks working on self-improvement, and if you get dissed from the teenagers, go watch Fried Green Tomatoes and squish their car in the parking lot. Or borrow a little kid and swim with them.
  • MsKriss281
    MsKriss281 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I did it. I decided to hit the gym before my plans tonite and I got in some cardio. 45 mins on the treadmill walk/jog. I went down to the pool and it was a little crowded so I went to the jacuzzi again. Say there for about 5 mins then the pool just emptied! I got my goggles and found the furthest lane possible and had at it. Really awkward at first but I got thru it. I did only 6 laps before I felt winded but I could tell that with the 10 mins I was there I got a better workout than the treadmill. Maybe I've found my new calling? Thanx all for the encouragement!

Awesome! :happy:
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I did it. I decided to hit the gym before my plans tonite and I got in some cardio. 45 mins on the treadmill walk/jog. I went down to the pool and it was a little crowded so I went to the jacuzzi again. Say there for about 5 mins then the pool just emptied! I got my goggles and found the furthest lane possible and had at it. Really awkward at first but I got thru it. I did only 6 laps before I felt winded but I could tell that with the 10 mins I was there I got a better workout than the treadmill. Maybe I've found my new calling? Thanx all for the encouragement!
    Way to go! Great to see you got motivated to do it after getting the responses on here!!!! Congrats and keep going!!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I am this way in the weight room, especially when there's a bunch of fellas and me and my lifting buddy are working on our thighs. I am super-self concious.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    i'm right there with you where i live theres plenty of beaches. i live in the area for comming up in october 19 years i've been in the lake like 6 or 7 times all those years. i don't really know how to swim and i'm way to afraid to go with out a shirt so i know exacly how you feel
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I identify. I absolutely adore swimming but I got to the point where I wouldn't even go to the river or beach, let alone a public swimming pool. Fortunately I am blessed as we bought a swimming pool and now I can swim to my heart's content at home, in private, whenever I want.

I wear shorts and a tshirt in the pool - until I can fit into a nice one-piece. Wear something comfortable but not something that will hamper your movements and weigh you down. Get in there and swim and as you do more your skills should improve.

Hope you can get into it. :)
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I am training for a triathlon right now, and whenever possible, I do open water swims since I can wear a wet suit.

LOL! The first time I wore one for a tri I joked that no one was allowed to take any pictures. Then I realized how flattering a basic black suit that squashed all the bulges flat was for me and I posted a pic on FaceBook.

Two things in addition to all the previous encouragement: first, you're mostly underwater anyway when you're swimming so there's not that much for people to see. Second, if you invest in a heart rate monitor, check your swimming heart rate against your rate during other cardio. I found I have a very lazy breast stroke (never learned to swim properly) but if I just start running back and forth in the water at waist height I can really get it beating, so I do that at intervals.

Have fun- I love swimming!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    LOL---What's great about being a senior is that you no longer care what others think about the way you look. (I go to a senior's water exercise group. ) Besides, I look better than most of the old bats in there--I even had an old geezer try to pick me up the other day. :wink:

Seriously-- as a rule, real adults pay little attention to the way others look at the pool. That's for twenty-something singles and teenagers. The one exception to that rule, is the way everyone in my class exclaims over a favorite swim buddy--a 92 year-old who looks like someone left him out in the sun too long and he melted. But bless his heart, he gets out there and swims laps every day! If he can do it, so can you! :smile:
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I did it. I decided to hit the gym before my plans tonite and I got in some cardio. 45 mins on the treadmill walk/jog. I went down to the pool and it was a little crowded so I went to the jacuzzi again. Say there for about 5 mins then the pool just emptied! I got my goggles and found the furthest lane possoible and had at it. Really awkward at first but I got thru it. I did only 6 laps before I felt winded but I could tell that with the 10 mins I was there I got a better workout than the treadmill. Maybe I've found my new calling? Thanx all for the encouragement!

That's so fantastic, you have a lot to be proud of for overcoming your discomfort and going for it !! Yay !
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere. When I first met my fiance, he couldn't even put his head underwater at all because it scared him so much. Now he loves to go swimming. In terms of swimming laps, I'd suggest the breaststroke. (Kinda feels like swimming like a frog).
  • glorificus37
    Options
    Yes, swimsuits are friendly to no normal person (by which I mean all non-swimsuit models). However, I've been going to the gym for a little while and every single person is so engrossed in themselves they DON'T CARE about anyone else. So if you acquire than attitude, go make a big splash!!!!!!

Just go swim.
  • watermstry
    watermstry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As a former lifeguard and swim instructor, I would like to offer my two cents.

1) I always felt bad for people swimming in shirts. It looks so uncomfortable and heavy! It doesn't make people look smaller either. Really, people swimming laps are barely noticing everyone else in the pool. Trust me - I spent 7 summers staring at swimmers.

2) Take a few private swim lessons. Check out Craigslist for good deals, or see if your city rec program offers adult classes. Personally, I loved teaching adults. Changing just a few of your mechanics might make swimming much more pleasant for you.
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Has anyone wore their heart monitor in the pool?
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere. I was embarrassed about not being able to swim - I started last season literally on my deck learning how to breathe in a bowl of water. I ended the season having done an olympic triathlon. :) DO IT! :D
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options

YAY proud of you! :)<3
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Has anyone wore their heart monitor in the pool?

I have. I own a Polar FT7 and you can swim with it. You cannot PUSH the buttons of the watch underwater though. I have heard others put it in a ziploc baggie just to be safe and stuff it in their suit :)
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I had that problem. I was worried about taking my shirt off, drowning, pissing off the other swimmers. I said screw it and went for it. I can do one length. Then wait a moment then swim
    Back. No one points. No one laughs. No one cares.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Has anyone worn their heart monitor in the pool?

I also wear my FT7 in the pool. It works fine but, like the earlier poster, I don't push buttons while in the water. One of the things I like about the FT7 is being able to use it while swimming. I don't think my FitBit would tolerate it!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have a bikini, and yes, I let my pale giant belly hang out for all to see, but then as soon as I'm done, I throw a dress on over it to cover up.

It's only embarrassing if you let it be. No, I'm not at the pool to flaunt my goods, but I am there to enjoy the water and have fun. The way I see it, no one's belly ever shrank by sitting around hiding from all the fun and active stuff in life. However, there are lots of folks out there that have gotten into shape by swimming and exercising in the water. In fact, it burns a lot of calories, and is very easy on your joints. I can completely wear myself out in the water without being sore. It's fabulous.

So, get out there, and have fun. By just doing what you want to do, you're actually going to make your body look better. No one will say anything to you, and if they do, they are a total prick for trying to bring you down while you're in the middle of improving that very situation.

Go enjoy the water!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I am TERRIBLE at swimming but to be honest, nobody is watching you swim. So just go, get your burn on and enjoy it. Swimming is awesome, even if you are bad at it, it's still enjoyable.