Exercise for the extremely out of shape

Options

Replies

• JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    One foot in front of the other....slowly build the time and distance. :smile:
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I agree that Leslie Sansone videos are the way to go. I started my journey at 255 pounds, and I was horribly out of shape and in a lot of pain because of my unhealthy lifestyle and just having a baby. I did those videos at home for a few months before hiring a personal trainer, and I loved them! They gave me enough confidence and strength to move into different types of exercise.
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    When I started back in January, I was in terrible shape. I would get out of breath going up a flight of stairs. I started out by walking short distances on my treadmill (it was winter at the time) and then progressed to being able to run for 30 seconds at a time. Lately, I've been trying all kinds of things: doing short bursts of running on a mini-trampoline, climbing "stairs" via a stepper, going for fast-paced walks in my neighbourhood with my husband -- and almost always fitting in multiple workouts in a day. I can't believe I am the same person. My fitness level has improved remarkably. And I expect to be celebrating the "50 pounds gone" milestone next week.

By the way, I started at 286 lbs. and I also have a history of depression problems. (I was at 237 pounds earlier this week.)

You can do this!

Feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like someone to encourage you and share the journey.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given you excellent advice on just doing something, as my doctor told me even a few minutes at a time is more then I was doing. I've had extreme pain in my ankle and feet, so when I started walking it was only for 5 min at a time, several times a day. I would even just make a point to get up out of my chair and go up and down the steps several times. Today I walked on a trail that had several inclines and I walked for a whole hour! 6 months ago I was just trying to do 5 minutes without pain, now I can walk for an hour. You can do it, you just need to start small. Once you start and you lose even a few pounds you will feel the difference and that will help to motivate you.

Good luck
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hi you need to make sure your Thyroid is under control with medication if its overactive it will contribute to mental health stress and you will overeat I had my thyroid removed 2 years ago and since then have struggled with weight you will not lose any till your thyroid medication is right the best exercise is slow walking to start with good luck

I absolutely agree with you. I am surprised that the op weighs as much with a hyperactive thyroid.....unless it was a typo.
    I also have no thyroid, but am well controlled and losing while at the thyroid clinic I go to all patients with a hyperactive thyroid are very slender.
    Either way it is very important to make sure the disease is under control and the heart ( BP and beats per minute ) are checked before a person start with any kind of exercise....no matter how small the first steps are.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Love the pool/water aerobics idea! Easy on joints and gets you moving and you stay cool too ;)

Praying for you! God can do it...nothing is too big for Him. Incorporate your daily devotional time and talk to the Father... He is always there!

(((((Hugs)))))

Shan, Atl
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Walk, as other people have suggested. I would add pick an interesting place to walk to... or aim for after a few weeks.... it could be a place to sit down and have tea (but don't eat fattening food), or a statue, a park, a bookstore, some definite place you would enjoy seeing for a moment. Once you walk there, of course you have to walk home. If you decide to start walking, you will be surprised at how much your endurance builds up every day. And walking is also good for depression, anxiety, and the general blues.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You have to start moving in some way or another. If you don't think you can do 10 minutes of walking then walk to the corner of your block and back everyday for a week then try to make it half way around the block for a week etc. You can also get hand weights and do some are exercises from a chair. I also do the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. I have had 3 back surgeries so I had to start slowly too.

Please feel free to check out my profile and add me if you would like. Remember that anything is better than nothing, we are all here for you and YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Hang in there!!

Hugs
    Bev
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Walk . . . . 10 minutes a day, 3 times a day, 6 days a week for 30 days.
    Low impact the best exercise to start with.
    After 30 - 45 days, mix it up, buy a used exercise bike, incorporate it in your fitness plan,
    Walk 2 times a day, bike once a day for the next 30 days, 30 minutes a day 6 days a week.
    Eat healthy, log your exercise.
    Best of luck.
  • rd1759
    rd1759 Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree with some of the other posts. WALK AEROBICS DVDs by Leslie Sansone are where I started and have worked my way up to some of her DVDs for intermediate walkers. However, I mix and match her beginning DVDs even still. And I agree with others who have encouraged you to start out slow, maybe 5-10 minutes a day and work your way up from there. There's no getting around diet and exercise. Find ways to add activity to every day stuff, like parking farther and farther away from the door. I am also a mental health care provider. I feel sure that counseling will help with anxiety and depression. But so will exercise and a healthy diet plan of eating less and less processed foods and more of fresh fruits and veggies and proteins. I have found so many excellent resources for eliminating high inflammatory foods from my diet that has made a big difference also. Good luck and YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm an old fart (almost 52). I started at 478 pounds a little less than a year ago and could barely walk 1/10th of a mile at a glacial pace. I am down 78 pounds (after being down as much as 95 pounds). Tonight, at 400 pounds, after a several month hiatus, I walked 60 minutes at 3.37 miles per hour for a total of about 3 1/3 miles in 84 degrees and 60% humidity. Just start by doing what you can do and gradually extend the distance and time and improve your pace. It's about gradual improvement, not suddenly going from your recliner to running a marathon. Also, get a complete physical before starting ANY physical fitness regimen... particularly if you are overweight.
  • Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Like others have said walk a little longer each time. I started out with about a mile each time I went out. Now I try to always do at least 3 and have started Couch to 5k. I also go to pool classes which I love.
    If you have a pool you can use even walking laps would be great. Less impact on the joints and you may be able to go a little longer.
    Remember slow and steady wins the race.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I started out at about the same weight as you and was/am extremely out of shape. I do kettlebell - not too difficult to do and I found routines for that online. Just google beginners kettlebell. I also like doing Sweatin to the Oldies - part 1 is also available for free online. I'm not ready to do the public exercise thing just yet. I also have a dog so I do short walks with him a few times a day.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    One foot in front of the other....slowly build the time and distance. :smile:

This, it's that simple. Nice first post btw. Welcome.
  • wcugirl04
    wcugirl04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting back on track. I was at about the same weight as you when I began this journey. I started doing 15 minutes of Shaun T's Rockin Body. After a while I built up to 30 min and then 45...I then had to change it up a bit as my stamina improved. I now can and have to do much more. I was very out of shape when I started. I tried not to over do it, and I felt like his beginner video wasn't very difficult. Good luck and hang in there... at first it sucks but it does get easier!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned but, you do not have to burn 3500 calories with exercise if you're using the MFP set up. If you do nothing but eat at that goal amount you'll lose weight. It already includes your deficit for the .5, 1, or 2 lbs you select.

As others have said though consult your doctor before you start pushing yourself. Once you've got the all clear walk the ten minutes you can now until it's easier. Then walk 11. If you have access to a pool water walking is a good alternative. It's easier on the knees and gives resistance as well. Sign up for a water aerobics class if you can. Just moving your body helps. Honestly. I was over 400 lbs at my heaviest. Give it time and don't push yourself too fast. Build up gradually.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am extremely over weight, never been in shape in my life, and suffering multiple pain disorders. I cannot walk because of the pain in my legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o0kNeOyH98&feature=related

Is the best yoga for complete n00bs I have seen. If I can do that every day, you can too.

I also use a stationary bike for 30-45 minutes a day.
  • lizalga
    lizalga Posts: 3
    Options
    I think walking is the way to go. When I started a can bare walk so I sarted 1/2 - 1 mile 3x a wk and slowly increase now I walk almost 5 mile per day and I'm also able to do 1hr of cardio, of course I altanate. To overdue is not healty. Is not how much u do is how u do it.
  • Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    Options
    I second the walking. I can relate. I have agoraphobia and panic disorder so sometimes getting my heart rate up sets me into a panic attack so I avoided it for a very long time. My highest was 384.

Like someone else said, if all you can do is ten minutes, do ten minutes 3x a day and try to increase the length of each walk, even if it's only an extra minute or two. When I started walking I could only do about 7 minutes before my heart began to race, I'd be out of breath and then I'd get panic attacks. As the weight started to come off it became easier. I can now do 30 minutes fine, 45 minutes if I'm really pushing myself (and I'm still heavier than you at 332 lbs). I could probably do more if I really really wanted to but I've never tried. You can do it. Just don't get discouraged. Keep with it and you'll slowly build up your stamina.

I also found swimming was great. On top of my other issues I have dyshidrodic eczema (I'm positive I didn't spell that right) which causes me to break out in painful bumps on my hands and feet if I break a sweat so I loath sweating. In cool water I don't break a sweat so when the weather is right I'll do about 20-30 min of slow paced laps. Again, when I first started I'd be out of breath in 5-10 minutes but slowly it got easier. If you run out of breath you can just stop, relax, maybe do some lunges and squats or other exercises in the pool and when you've got your breath back get back to your slow laps.

I also have dyshidrodic eczema, and swimming is amazing for avoiding break outs. I have to swim anyway for other conditions, so it's a win win
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Is walking tiring, or painful?
    If painful, heck even if its not painful, get a recumbent stationary bike to get you started exercising...and then when your stamina is back a little bit, you'll want to add walking and/or the elliptical.
    The recumbent bike takes pressure off your back and allows you to still burn calories from a seated position.
    Swimming is another way to exercise for the seriously sedentary, like myself.