Exercise for the extremely out of shape

Options
13»

Replies

• hladams8110
    hladams8110 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My mom started out by simply just walking in place every place she went where we had to stand for even a few minutes. It helped her lose over 20lbs, you could try that.
  • jennifersmiles444
    jennifersmiles444 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone's suggestions...especially trying for small bursts of exercise, even if it's just for 5 minutes at a time to start out with. I was really out of shape last winter, and I hated exercising. I committed to doing an exercise dvd every day...just did what I could to start out with. Don't beat yourself up if you can't do the whole thing. Just commit to starting it and doing a bit more every day. I was really surprised how quickly my endurance increased. Here's another suggestion: When you get home, put on your workout shoes and clothes....and play some music (I like Latin music) that makes you want to dance. Even if it's not 'exercise time', I find myself moving faster around the house and dancing a little as I do chores. Music will help your body get in the habit of moving, and it's great for lifting your mood as well:) I'm glad you've decided to exercise....you can do this!
  • honeydoozy
    honeydoozy Posts: 46 Member
    Options

If you get to a point where you can tolerate being around more people, I would recommend Zumba. Even if you get *none* of the moves right, the atmosphere is fun, the songs are great, and an hour passes very quickly. I get a better workout in Zumba than I do when I run :smile: - I'm upset when I have to miss a class. We have all shapes and ages of people in our class, and everybody just puts in the effort they can. They keep coming back for more :smile:.

^^^ THIS.

I was way out of shape and inching way too close to 300lbs. Zumba has been a huge part of my weight loss (and fitness gain!). There's no question about the exercise part of weight loss being hard. It's REALLY hard. The key, is to find something active that you really enjoy - something that you look forward to doing. The awesome thing about Zumba, is that no one in the room cares if you're getting the steps perfectly or facing left when others are facing right. :-) You go at your own pace and intensity and the only way you're doing it "wrong" is if you're not having fun.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    One step at the time. Walking is great exercise. Do what you can and build on that; don't sweat the wedding dress at this point. Mood disorders are exacerbated by stress and honestly, that is not the main concern at this point. Watch what you eat. Eat nutritious foods and minimize processed carbs... These can affect mood as well. I am glad that you are receiving counseling... that may help. Exercise can help with mood disorders AND ensure that you have your vitamins covered, especially the B-complex. As far as exercise, walk. Walk what you can and increase minutes. You may want to do this several times per day. Do what you can do and increase the time and vigor of it. Best wishes on your achieving your goals.
  • AnJulNZ
    AnJulNZ Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for helping with anxiety. It's not easy to do when you're out of shape, but in my experience, it is very calming.

With yoga I also felt a lot stronger, not just physically but mentally. Going to a class might be difficult with your other problems, but I'm sure there are probably a lot of youtube clips that you could use. It's low impact - good for your bung knee.

Walking in the pool is also a good idea. Whatever you choose to do, start with babysteps.

Best of luck. At the time I thought I would never recover from my depression/anxiety disorder but with hard work and some counselling I made it. You can too!! Feel free to add me if you'd like. And enjoy your work with cats :)
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Keep on walking, do laps around your house without stopping, time yourself and do it until you feel like you've worked out a little. Add climbing the stairs a couple of times and gradually go up and down them more and more times.

The wii fit is great and fun for getting you moving even if you just play the games and don't do the exercises (I love the step aerobics on there and the balance games but even playing tennis on it gives you a workout if you put a little effort in and it'll certainly help to get you a bit more flexible).

Good luck with your goals, try and stay focused and positive, everyone is wishing you well :)
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    what everyone said - start small, and keep going. If 10 minutes is all you can do, then do 10 minutes. soon it will be 11, and then 15 and before you know it you will be going for an hour or more.

and , of course, you need to focus on what you are eating.

the first time i got on a cross trainer/elliptical, i think i went for 3 minutes. i thought my heart was going to fly out of my body, it was pounding so much! but hey, i can go for an hour (sometimes more) at varying MPHs and resistance levels so i am here to tell you - baby steps.

don't worry about the numbers for now. you aren't going to be able to go from zero to one hour in a week. but you will be able to go from zero to 10, and then 20 and so on.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cE1jxDS3HY

start with the Leslie Sansone, she has different walking videos, and do as much as you can, increasing your exercise time length every day.

I was going to suggest this.

Also, try to walk outdoors, focus just on enjoying walking first. Don't worry about time, distance, intensity just yet. Find somewhere that's nice to walk, e.g. a local park or something, and just enjoy it.

Personally, having recovered from mental health problems, I'd say regular exercise helped a great deal. Exercise helps to reduce anxiety, and exercise releases "happy hormones" that can help relieve some symptoms of mental illness. On its own, exercise can't cure it, but together with other things like counselling/therapy it really can help a lot.

What everyone said about starting small and working up is very important, but just know that whatever exercise you're doing it will help not just with weight loss but also with the mental health issues. It can be really hard to motivate yourself to exercise at times, especially when you're going through mental health problems, but it really is worth it and try your best to force yourself to exercise when you're feeling really bad.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hi, first let me say congratulations on choosing to change your life style. That is the first, and most important step.
    Try to forget the word exercise, concentrating on your food and logging. This is the most important part of weight loss. What you eat.
    For now, until you feel ready just think ' move' not' exercise'.
    I remember walking to the letter box was so hard but I just kept thinking 'move', 'move,. Moving is exercise when you haven't been doing anything.
    This saying really helped me. # No matter how slow you are moving you're lapping the person on the couch. #
    Be kind to yourself, let your head catch up with the changes as you make them. Being rigid and hard can set you up for a fall so take it slow and appreciate every small change.

Good luck.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    When I started at 234 lbs, I ran the C25K. Within 10 lbs of that, I was running 3 miles.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    One foot in front of the other....slowly build the time and distance. :smile:
    THIS is very good advice!
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Well, maybe try walking those 10 minutes a couple of times..
    And another good alternative - i find; swimming. It burns calories, makes you stronger and you wont have so much weight on your knees.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

Watch this 5 minute video if you need some inspiration to start: "Never, Ever Give Up. Arthur's Inspirational Transformation"

It's a true story. Be sure to watch all the way to the end and look at the final photos.

He was overweight, on crutches and in a wheelchair, and began to exercise one day at a time.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    walk for now.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Walking for 10 minutes might be tiring, but it's better than not walking.

When I first started exercising, I exhausted myself at first, and as I was sore the few days following, I lost all motivation.

So, I tried just doing shorter, less intense workouts. I would walk for a few minutes, or jump rope for a song, or do a few minutes of yoga... whatever. Even if it was only for 5 minutes, it was better than nothing, so I counted it. So, you workout for 5 minutes here and there... then build up to 7 minutes, then 10, then 15.... Everyone starts somewhere.

You might struggle with the goal of burning 3500 calories in a week at first. Build up to it. Do what you can. Just because you haven't hit a specific number doesn't mean that what you've been doing wasn't worth it.
  • northofsanity
    Options
    Hi you need to make sure your Thyroid is under control with medication if its overactive it will contribute to mental health stress and you will overeat I had my thyroid removed 2 years ago and since then have struggled with weight you will not lose any till your thyroid medication is right the best exercise is slow walking to start with good luck

I absolutely agree with you. I am surprised that the op weighs as much with a hyperactive thyroid.....unless it was a typo.
    I also have no thyroid, but am well controlled and losing while at the thyroid clinic I go to all patients with a hyperactive thyroid are very slender.
    Either way it is very important to make sure the disease is under control and the heart ( BP and beats per minute ) are checked before a person start with any kind of exercise....no matter how small the first steps are.

You are right, I did typo. I get the two confused sometimes. I have a underactive thyroid. xD That probably makes more sense for my case. I do take medication for it, my doctor had to increase the dosage recently. I think in two or three more weeks is when I go back for blood work to check my levels.
  • northofsanity
    Options
    I'm an old fart (almost 52). I started at 478 pounds a little less than a year ago and could barely walk 1/10th of a mile at a glacial pace. I am down 78 pounds (after being down as much as 95 pounds). Tonight, at 400 pounds, after a several month hiatus, I walked 60 minutes at 3.37 miles per hour for a total of about 3 1/3 miles in 84 degrees and 60% humidity. Just start by doing what you can do and gradually extend the distance and time and improve your pace. It's about gradual improvement, not suddenly going from your recliner to running a marathon. Also, get a complete physical before starting ANY physical fitness regimen... particularly if you are overweight.

My goodness! I live in north Texas and I'm very familiar with heat and humidity so, I say good on you for that! Fortunately, I see my doctor about every 3-5 months so she is aware of everything I do, and I don't need a physical.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cE1jxDS3HY

start with the Leslie Sansone, she has different walking videos, and do as much as you can, increasing your exercise time length every day.

^This! Here's another youtube video (I like "walking" with a group).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rnB9rDRrCM

The resaons this is perfect for a beginner -

1. low impact - small space needed
    2. because there is no choreography you can go at your own pace .... go slower if you need to.
    3. no equipment is required
    4. Leslie is VERY encouraging
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i would also say, that as you start out (I liked the take multiple short walks a day idea) that you need to make sure that you are properly supporting your body as you walk/increase exercise so that you do not injure yourself again. Make sure you are wearing proper shoes that fully support your arch. Also, if you need to put on knee braces, then wear knee braces. It's amazing how much of an impact some of these things can have on our stamina. Good luck!