FitBit..... is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• claston77
    claston77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just bought one via a Memorial Day sale at Brookstone. It takes multiple steps but it gets you a Fitbit One or Fitbit Flex for $70.35 including tax and shipping. Here is the deal:

1) Go to Groupon and purchase the Brookstone deal here:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/brookstone-2-atlanta?utm_campaign=1029&utm_medium=afl&utm_source=GPN&tsToken=US_AFF_0_1029_1327_0&sid=Xu-34MbhEeK3KBrqAdQZcAB2R1_g8lZ3_0_0_0

The voucher will be sent to your email immediately.

2) Go to Brookstone.com and add the Fitbit One or Fitbit Flex to your shopping cart. At checkout enter MEMDAY20 for 20% off and use your Groupon to pay and then the remaining $45.35 with the credit card of your choice, Paypal, or Amazon.

HTH!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I have fitbit one, had a fitbit ultra before that. To me it's worth it. I've used it for nearly a year now. I try to reach my step goal every day and it encourages me to move more during the day, as well as giving a good estimate of my TDEE.

Ditto! Well, I've only had mine a month but I LOVE it! I'm at maintenance know and one of the reasons I wanted it is to see my true TDEE. LOVE it and worth it to me!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    After reading this, I've decided I'm going to buy one, although I'm debating over a zip or the one. The one is obviously the best but not sure if I can justify £80!

personally i dont need to track my sleep, and i saw that as the biggest diff, between them , and the zip was a good one to "get my feet wet" with it , and it has become one of my favorite weight loss tools
  • ttiiggzz
    ttiiggzz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love my Zip. And the fact it doesn't have a rechargable battery and the battery lasts for *months*.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've had the one since March and love it...for all the reasons already mentioned. Definitely worth it.
  • FitKate
    FitKate Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    100% Freaking love it! Love all the ways it intergrates into helping with all levels of fitness.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Zip and I love it. Its fascinating to keep track of steps and calories with it. I was shocked at how many steps I take during an average workday...no wonder I'm tired when I get home!
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Looking at buying a Fitbit, so the most basic question to anyone who has one is was it worth the money?

The next question is which one would you buy?

From poking around online, the FitBit Flex looks really good, but I'd love to hear from real uses their thoughts.

Thanks!

I swear by my fitbit one. it does make you more aware of your sedentary behavior, and I love all the features and abilities it has, especially how it integrates with MFP food diary.
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    How accurate are the calorie counts on the Zip? I'm thinking it may also help to get an idea of my TDEE.

IMO, i never worried about its accuracy, I just used the numbers from one day to the next as a reference. For instance, If I burn 2000 cals today, and 3000 cals tomorrow, I know I was about 50% more active on the second day. Whether or not it was a true 1000 calorie improvement, who knows, and personally I don't care.. I just know I did more.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I love love love my FB One!! As far as the accuracy I've worn it at the same time as my Polar F4 HRM & the readouts are almost identical when it comes to walking/running type exercises. I little less so for stuff thats more like cycling or weight lifting sort of stuff. I work with someone who has the UP bracelet & when I compared it mine I think mine is much better, I love the website, and they've recently upgraded that as well so its got a lot of info on it. My favorite feature are the activity reports, I'm learning how to run wtih the C25K program, and with these reports I can see my pace/speed/ steps/distance/calorie burn for just the time of my run & its so cool to see my pace & speed improving and comparing it to previous runs. Definately worth it!
  • fuzzball01
    fuzzball01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I loves my fitbit. I need to know my steps for the day. I have the fitbit one I do believe. I have had one since they came out and I love it. well worth the money
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I ordered 2 Fitbit Flex for myself and my husband. Its like almost 2 month wait for it,,,so I have 6 weeks to go....
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Again thanks everyone for all the information, this is great!
    I ordered 2 Fitbit Flex for myself and my husband. Its like almost 2 month wait for it,,,so I have 6 weeks to go....

Yeah, one of the reasons I decided on the FitBit One over the Flex is that the Flex is not yet for sale here in Japan, they say "Spring 2013" on their website, but with it now almost June and no new news, I wonder when they will have stock. Also I run a liquor shop I lift lots of heavy stuff all the time and in the past I had to give up on wearing a watch, as they would get destroyed by me banging it into stuff, so I worry about the Flex meeting the same fate.

Cheers!
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    only if it motivates you to move and stay active.... other than that, i don't feel it's worth it. TDEE likely inflated and checking it can become obsessive for OCD types.
  • crazypeachs
    crazypeachs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Flex and Zip don't have an altimeter so they can't do stairs / elevation changes.

Useful summary link that - thanks.

Yeah, I get that, but what I wonder is if the altimeter is a deal breaker or not?

I don't go up and down a lot of stairs in my daily routine, nor is there opportunity to go up and down a lot of stairs.
    Being able to wear the Flex on my wrist like a wrist band, that seems to me a really good thing, I worry about wearing the One like a pedometer as I've lost a total of two of them now.

Cheers!

i have the zip. i do stairs regularly (live on the 3rd floor, work on the 2nd) and couldn't figure out why it didn't keep track of my floors. guess i didn't read as well as i thought i had. it's not a big deal to me, tho. it still tracks my steps. and as for losing it, i've lost pedometers before, but this clip is very strong, and sits flush with your clothes. i wear mine on my bra and it's only popped off once. when i wear it on my yoga pants it doesn't move.
  • crazypeachs
    crazypeachs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    OK I'm now looking at the One seriously as I can buy it here in Japan, the Flex is not out yet here, and they are not giving a release date, seems the Flex has been sold out in the US etc, so the release has been delayed here in Japan.

Many of the ladies here have said that they wear the clip on One on their bra, out of site, out of mind, and you can't easily drop it. I don't wear a bra, obviously :laugh: so where do the guys keep their fit bits? I have lost/dropped two pedometers, I had them on my belt, but I wear these 3/4 length shorts all the time, and they have four pockets on the front, the lower pocket on each side sits about my knee level, these pockets have zippers on them so I'm wondering if I can put the FitBit One into that pocket and zip it up, will it function as it is supposed to, or should it be on my waist?

Cheers!

i would suggest as close to your waist as possible for better accuracy, but that's just my suggestion. can you wear it on your pants' waist, under your belt?
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Ok I am going to show either my geek side or my ocd :laugh:

I have a zip and a jawbone up .... love them both and they are very close to each other in step counts.

I like the jawbone - it goes on my wrist and I don't have to think about it unless I want to sync and it has a 10 day battery charge.
    My zip has been a constant companion whether in a pocket or attached to my sports bra... it has even gone thru a washer and dryer and still works great.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to again thank everyone for their input. I've had the Fitbit One for 4 days and I've walked 53Km.
    I'm really liking this, easy to figure out and it has so far kept me motivated.

Cheers!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to again thank everyone for their input. I've had the Fitbit One for 4 days and I've walked 53Km.
    I'm really liking this, easy to figure out and it has so far kept me motivated.

Cheers!

high 5 dude :)
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to thank everyone for the help. I went to a big electronics shop here, they did not sell the FitBit, but they do sell a bunch of similar devices made by Omron, Tantia, Panasonic etc. All of these units were about half the price of the FitBit too, and I think some of them are on par with the FitBit, but they are all in Japanese, the software is in Japanese, and I just don't want to deal with all of that, it would most likely involve bothering my wife for some translation.

Yesterday we spent hours walking around Costco, and then the Electric shop, I have no idea how many calories I burned yesterday, and I decided that I should just buy the darn thing so I can do a better job of sticking to my calorie goal.

I got online and ordered the FitBit One.

It is a Japanese market unit, but I'm hoping the software that I downloaded from FitBit in English will work with the Japanese Market unit.

Should be here soon, again, thanks to you all for your input.

Cheers!
    I'm with you about the calorie counting! Need a clearer idea of what I am burning as I move around Tokyo, and not sure I trust the MFP cal counts. So I just ordered a Fitbit One through a Rakuten online shop (case cafe shop) here in Japan on the weekend. Price was 9700 yen, and I used Rakuten points, so I got it for about 9,300 yen :) I haven't received it yet, so holding my breath! SoftBank wanted 10,050 yen total for it. I went in the shop and asked about the language -- they said the Fitbit One itself only shows icons, so when I log in to a U.S. or Canada Fitbit site, I should be able to see the stats in English. Haven't tried that yet but hoping it works without using a VPN. (The Fitbit website seems to want to revert to the Japanese one everytime I google it....) Let me know how it works for you.

And ganbaroo, ne!