whats your weakest area? strength training

Options

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Inner forearms. In pull-ups, my back is strong enough and my biceps and my grip seems ok, but I get a burning sensation in the inner part of my forearms at the inner elbow crease.

Having said that, I am working these at 20 lbs fat overweight so I expect things to improve as I shed dead weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I can deadlift about 90lbs, but can barely bench 40?

I don't know much about muscles or whatnot, but that seems a bit odd to me.

Same here, I deadlift around 120 Ibs but only bench 55, but DLs use core muscles including the back where as benches focus more on chest and arms? (I'm guessing here, feel free to correct me!!).

So, arms totally!

Bench is also a compound movement, depending on how it is done. It does use less of the larger muscles however.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Same here, I deadlift around 120 Ibs but only bench 55, but DLs use core muscles including the back where as benches focus more on chest and arms? (I'm guessing here, feel free to correct me!!).

So, arms totally!

Bench is also a compound movement, depending on how it is done. It does use less of the larger muscles however.

Aha, thanks :bigsmile: so the use of the lower back and abs gives the DL more power?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So, arms totally!

Aha, thanks :bigsmile: so the use of the lower back and abs gives the DL more power?

Not exactly. Deadlifts should be using more leg/glutes - which are larger muscles. Bench should also use your core and back, depending on how you bench.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

Not exactly. Deadlifts should be using more leg/glutes - which are larger muscles. Bench should also use your core and back, depending on how you bench.

Ah right, thanks for that - it's all rather interesting!!
  • john0804
    john0804 Posts: 31
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one when it comes to shoulders, I've noticed my left arm is strong get than my right but to my knowledge I've never done any injury to it.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I can deadlift about 90lbs, but can barely bench 40?

I don't know much about muscles or whatnot, but that seems a bit odd to me.

So, arms totally!

Nothing wrong with these numbers in relation, my Bench for example is 140KG, Deadlift is 220KG. As stated, more, larger muscles in the lower body, so lower lifts should always be much heavier.

More on topic, Back\Biceps are worst for me, Hate training Biceps though, and stayed away from training them at the start as was only doing compounds.

Just to be an awkward git, Shoulders\Tri's are one of my strongest area's. Trick with shoulders is patience, and not going too heavy too quick.

• gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    My core...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Welcome. And for the record, I deadlift twice what I can bench. It's usually OHP < bench < squat <deadlift.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    OP: my shoulders are my weakest area. I've been doing standing overhead presses, Arnold presses, lateral raises, and upright rows to slowly but surely build the strength in that area.

Welcome. And for the record, I deadlift twice what I can bench. It's usually OHP < bench < squat <deadlift.

For me it's OHP<bench<deadlift<squat.

I think I could probably deadlift more than I squat if I used the sumo stance rather than the traditional stance for deads, and perhaps if my grip strength were greater than what it is now. My OHP is only around 80 pounds, but the others are over 100 pounds with squats being over 200.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Triceps and anterior deltoids, the little muscles are a pain, uggg
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    OHP<bench<squat<deadlift for me.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Abs and biceps. My legs and my whole posterior chain in general are really strong which would make me a perfect candidate for oly lifting if I 1. Wasn't so damn lanky 2. Wasn't so clumsy and uncoordinated. Sadfrog.jpeg
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    For me it is calves. Small calves and ankles. Triceps too but not as bad.

edit; I got it. LOL
  • ReaGaladriel
    ReaGaladriel Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Arms, especially triceps. Abs are ok and legs are great. :p
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Mine has to be my shoulders and pecs. It is aggravating how weak they have become in 18yrs out of the gym compared to all the other muscle groups .....
  • sdokeefe
    sdokeefe Posts: 29
    Options
    Definitely the Lats for me, can barely manage 3 overhand pull ups.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Tris, boo! :(
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    my left arm is stronger than my right, which is weird, im single and a righty

as far as muscle groups i am not sure

for example

my last two sets of bench are 225
    olympic bar curl is 95
    leg press is around 350
    tbar row is 115
    close grip bench is 185

i feel these should all be much higher
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    my damn lats... freakin' pullups SOB... I STILL have to do assistant pullups at the gym ACK!

4 years and counting :/