4th week of my new healthy lifestyle but NO results.

Options

Replies

• professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Wow. Since when is providing factually correct information that specifically addresses the problem as presented considered rude?

(Dear all of MFP: I can't speak for everyone else, but when *I* ask a question in the forums, please do not sacrifice factual information and accuracy in order to phrase your responses in a way that you believe will be less likely to hurt my feelings.)

OP, I wish you nothing but success in all your fitness and health goals. You got this! :flowerforyou: - ©2013

+1
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Nope, I think in the fitness world people need to be kinder, if you're not, that's good and all but I didn't come here to be led by the hand, and I also don't appreciate that kind of "honest" talk but hey if that means I'm taking things personally then yeah, I am an individual and I don't go around treating everyone equal just because that's who I am. I got my response way before I even got to the rude comment but now I'll think twice about the forum.

Every day there WILL continue to be people like me who make the same mistakes and ask for the same things. We're not psychic and if people dont want to answer the same thing over and over then dont. Motivation is about being positive and lending a hand. If this was my third time asking the same question then by all means, even yell at me. But man, why forget that kindness takes you a long way?

This was a very good way to put it. I would tell you that going into the forum with a question like this is a little bit like opening the door to your bathroom while you change. People will interpret what they see however they interpret what they see. And people make assumptions and call it honesty because they really BELIEVE they are helping you connect the dots...that happens a lot here. Take what you can and leave the rest. You said you got your answer so that's really the best you can hope for in the forums. There IS kindness at MFP and you can see it all over... especially within your own FL. You might poll your friends list with questions like these first to avoid some of the harder edged comments if they bother you. The forums are a good place too, you just have to be able to separate the two groups of comments. Don't think of the comments in terms of good, bad or rude if you can help it. They are either helpful...Not helpful. That may make it a bit easier to get what you need in the future. Good Luck to you!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.

You said you tend to eat 1300-1400. Then when I pointed out that wasn't enough and that you need to eat exercise cals with this method you said that you know that and you generally eat 1800.

You said you measure and log everything, but your logging doesn't seem to bear that out, and your logging also doesn't indicate that you are eating exercise calories. When people commented on that, then you said that you don't log everything.

You got offended when people point out the obvious. Which wasn't rude or non-motivational or mean, it was simply trying to HELP you by answering your question.

So, here comes the motivation and support part:

1. Measure and log everything every day. Without that info, you are blind.
    2. Remember that MFP calculations do not include exercise calories, when you exercise you need the extra cals for fuel.
    3. Don't let anyone or anything stop you, it's all up to you.
    4. The only one you are cheating is yourself if you don't use the tools as they were meant to be used.
    5. Be awesome, you can do it!
  • thisdarkpassenger
    thisdarkpassenger Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Have you been measuring your inches lost? I haven't lost much weight but I have lost a lot in inches.

(I am sure someone else suggested this, I am just too lazy to read through the posts)

:)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that you mentioned everything you shouldn't be worried about and nothing that you should. I'm pretty sure that you're doing it wrong.

Let us know when you get serious and want to get real help.
  • melreynolds71
    Options
    dont give up, ull see results soon sometimes it takes a little longer than others
  • malliexo
    malliexo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Cardio. Cardio. Cardio. :)
  • mca519
    mca519 Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't give up! Remember, muscle weighs more than fat. Tracking calories definitely helps, even the healthy snacks add up. Keep up the hard work!!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Your body is not going into starvation mode. Please do not listen to that nonsense. People throw that around WAY too much.

NO.

When a person undereats, metabolism does slow. The body has many complex ways of dealing with what it perceives as starvation. That's why severe calorie restricted diets not only fail for weight loss, they damage overall health. I know from experience.

OP: Also, don't listen to the advice to increase cardio. Walking every day and being active overall is good enough. However, strength training is a win. Sometimes building muscles slows the weight loss as seen on the scale, but your body will get smaller and you will feel awesome. That doesn't mean you need a fancy gym and equipment. My "routine" involves playing outside with my child, simple body weight exercises, and just doing a variety of activities around the house and outside. It's not rocket science.

Meh, I don't think starvation mode is the issue here. To each their own. She's eating 1300-1400 calories a day. That is not a "severe calorie restricted diet".

If starvation was the issue she would be losing weight. These threads are pretty much worthless.
  • challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    My advice is just to take this information..and try to change things up a little. Dont give up. If you give up then when you decide you want to do this again, you will have so much further to go once again. You have already started and realized that you needed to take charge and eat healthy and exercise. I think you are doing awesome with being able to work out and trying to log. Consistency does help but in th end, you are the person that is trying to get to where you need to be. Everyones comments do bring very helpful valid points. Be happy with yourself and what you are doing. I am sure the weight will start to come off but sometimes we just need to find out what our body is asking for and get to that point. You will figure this out. I can understand your frustration because you are not seeing a loss on the scale and it was good of you to post. So please keep your head up..take the advice of others that are trying to help you and make this happen!!
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    OP - I have lost a lot of weight... and it shows by my ticker. At first, it was SLOW... took MONTHS for me to figure out what worked for me.

I receommend logging everything religiously for one week - see a doctor for bloodwork - get a heart rate monitor - and, the best advice I have every been given when it comes to these forums is "Take what you want and leave the rest".

You will find something that works for you... I did. Now, I am stalled for 6 months, and working on "finding" it again. Dont be discouraged.

Good luck to you!!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Nope, I think in the fitness world people need to be kinder, if you're not, that's good and all but I didn't come here to be led by the hand, and I also don't appreciate that kind of "honest" talk but hey if that means I'm taking things personally then yeah, I am an individual and I don't go around treating everyone equal just because that's who I am. I got my response way before I even got to the rude comment but now I'll think twice about the forum.

Every day there WILL continue to be people like me who make the same mistakes and ask for the same things. We're not psychic and if people dont want to answer the same thing over and over then dont. Motivation is about being positive and lending a hand. If this was my third time asking the same question then by all means, even yell at me. But man, why forget that kindness takes you a long way?

I agree with the lending a hand aspect. But I do not agree that motivation is about being positive.
    Sometimes its the negative that motivates people. Sometimes its the "tough love". Maybe its only positive that works for you. In that case, don't go to an open forum and ask advice. Go to your friends list and ask there. They know you and will be "kinder" to you.
    Personally, I think the brutal honesty that was shown to you is much kinder than sugar coating things.
    And just like some people can choose not to answer a question that they see over and over again, you can also choose not to respond to someone if you find their response to be rude. You can also ignore it and move on to someone else's response.

I also disagree what you said about the fitness world needing to be kinder. I have found that people in the fitness world are full of fun facts and information and have been nothing but supportive and helpful. They work hard and play hard. They are meticulous with counting the calories, making sure they eat right, working to be stronger, faster, better. They are tough. Their answers might be tough. If you can't handle it, then ignore it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Remember, muscle weighs more than fat. Tracking calories definitely helps, even the healthy snacks add up. Keep up the hard work!!

What is the "nice" or "not rude" way to respond to this post? Just leave it there without a response so that others interpret it being left unchallenged as tacit support for the statement? Or does someone stick their neck out and risk being called rude for challenging the likelihood of the assertion that OP gained enough muscle in these four weeks to mask her weight loss (on a deficit, or at best, maintenance).

(Especially in light of the far more likely reasons already provided in this thread by others?)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    LMFAO....

"Oh yes, I do everything right and weigh and measure everything and log it...except when I don't feel like it and I'm busy and such...but this doesn't work and I must have a thyroid condition."

Give me a flippin' break OP. This works when you do it right...part of doing it right is being consistent. 500 calories per day deficit is necessary to lose one pound per week...it may sound like a lot, but 500 calories is pretty easy to go over if you're not being consistent with what you're doing...it's a couple hands full of nuts...a bit too much olive oil in your salad dressing, etc. It's pretty easy to calorie creep and that's exactly what you're doing. My guess is that you're probably overestimating burn as well.

Whether or not you think it's rude is irrelevant...people told you what the problem is, you just refuse to acknowledge it...so you continue to not have results.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary from yesterday, you are not eating enough lean protein..Try eating at leat 4 oz of protein per meal, add in some protein shakes..
  • jewelly155
    jewelly155 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I stick to around 1200 no matter how much exercise I do.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I stick to around 1200 no matter how much exercise I do.

Or this post? Is it "rude" for me to voice my opinion that I believe this is a Bad Idea™ for various reasons for a vast majority of people? Would it be "rude" if I linked to a thread where dozens of people shared their personal experiences with this approach?

Or am I just supposed to be "nice" and ignore it? ...and then others may someday read it and think to themselves, "Oh, so that's how MFP works*. I'll try that."

* It isn't. The basic MFP approach includes "eating back" exercise calories such that 1200 is the least *net* amount of daily calories.
  • ingridisazombie
    ingridisazombie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Please don't tell me that bitterness is a side effect of losing weight! :-) I got my response and some people have been helpful and I'm thankful for that. Good for you for getting your life enjoyment out of an internet message board, continuing to make fun of me for whatever reason is sure making you look like a stellar person. Congrats and thanks to all the helpful posters.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Please don't tell me that bitterness is a side effect of losing weight! :-) I got my response and some people have been helpful and I'm thankful for that. Good for you for getting your life enjoyment out of an internet message board, continuing to make fun of me for whatever reason is sure making you look like a stellar person. Congrats and thanks to all the helpful posters.

Who me? LOL

You called a bunch of people rude...some of whom are my friends...for doing what they do often here: providing helpful factual information in a straightforward, direct manner, often where there is a glaring absence of helpful factual information...and fully knowing that they may catch some flak over it. Sometimes they are thanked for it...but occasionally, someone does what you're doing, which is calling them names because of their "tone" that you read into it or for being "mean".

You're right, I do enjoy helping people on this particular internet message board...but you're wrong if you think I'm making fun of you. My posts here are genuine. I truly would like to know how you would propose people should respond to posts that they believe are demonstrably incorrect, or could at least use some clarification...(or situations such as this thread where the answer to the question posed was apparently not what you wanted to hear). I suspect you'll find that it is impossible to do it in a way that will not be interpreted as "mean" by some.

And I'm completely comfortable with how I have conducted myself in the MFP forums in general and in this thread specifically. But I also accept that some people labeling me as "rude" is an unavoidable consequence of it. No worries. And I'm certainly not bitter.

Here's a flower: :flowerforyou:

(See? Not bitter.)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has looked at your diary, but I did.

You aren't committed to this! You are under-eating some days, over-eating others, and not consistently logging. You aren't using the program the way that it was designed. Your calorie goal is probably set waaaaay too low, but that doesn't really matter because you aren't really logging everything anyway. MFP is designed to allow you to monitor your diet. But you started your account and didn't use it the way it was meant to be used, and now you are one step away from declaring that this doesn't work for you so you can have an excuse to give up.

If this doesn't work for you, it is because you failed and not the system!

Man, I thought this was motivation and support, not a nest of vipers. Thanks for the nasty comment. I downloaded the app a long time ago but only really started using it about a month ago. I don't always log what I eat, that's true, but my commitment to weight loss and exercise goes beyond an app or a website. Granted, there were some days where I didn't eat ALL the calories, but I made sure I ate enough, drank enough, worked out enough, I'm not here to make excuses for myself but have an actual and legitimate problem and I didn't come here to be told that I FAIL.

I will definitely make an effort to log all my intake and exercise but I wont promise I will all the time because on top of working out I do have a very demanding and busy schedule and it might look like I'm under eating or over eating or not exercising enough, the app for me is a lot of help and a wonderful guide but if you're going to judge me based on that then no thanks, I'm not here to prove myself to anyone and from now on I guess I'll go take my issues somewhere else, thank you though!
    There was no nasty comment in that. It's the truth. You need to use MFP correctly before you start declaring that it isn't working.