Does or has anyone tried water fasting 1 day a week???

Options
Please no negativity or lectures this is strictly a question. I know all about both the negative and positive points of view and studies on water fasting in general. I struggle with self control and the ability to stick to my healthy choices. I am just wondering if anyone has done intermittent fasting? I am a female 5ft 10in and 260lbs. I have had 2 children and a lot of bad eating habits as well as breaking my nightly one beer a night habit. I am staying under my calorie goals each day as well as getting plenty of different exercises but I have one day a week that I am out of the house most of the day and tend to steer towards bad choices ( fast food mostly) and we all know one bad day can be the downfall of any diet. I cant help but think if I water fasted this day it would be less harmful and maybe teach myself a little discipline at the same time. I am only thinking of trying this for a few weeks 3 max just until I get my mind on the right path.

IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING NEGATIVE TO SAY PLEASE JUST SKIP THIS POST YOUR COMMENTS WILL NOT BE WELCOME AND DONT MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO ME. IF YOU HAVE BAD THINGS TO SAY ABOUT SOMEONE OR JUDGEMENT TO PASS JUST REMEMBER WE ALL BELONG TO THE SAME WEBSITE FOR OUR OWN REASONS, MOST OF US TO LOSE WEIGHT AND GAIN POSITIVE SUPPORT AND MOTIVATION. WHILE I DO NOT ASK YOU TO SUPPORT OR AGREE WITH ANYTHING THAT I DO OR SAY, I WILL KINDLY ASK YOU TO REFRAIN FROM SPREADING NEGATIVITY IN WHAT SHOULD BE A POSITIVE PLACE TO VENT LEARN AND BETTER OURSELVES.

Thanks for the help

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Sooo...I don't understand what it is you want? Someone to tell you to go for it and that you can do it regardless of the negative/positive attributes? You say you know all about it, what's the point of this post?

Go for it, OP! You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • foxsmommy
    foxsmommy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sooo...I don't understand what it is you want? Someone to tell you to go for it and that you can do it regardless of the negative/positive attributes? You say you know all about it, what's the point of this post?

Go for it, OP! You can do it! :flowerforyou:

I was just wondering if anyone does intermittent fasting and how it has gone for them. I am not looking for validation or approval or a pat on the back from anyone. You can read endlessly about a topic but hearing from others who have actually done it is a whole different set of information. I guess I didn't clarify that enough.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Instead of water fasting, how about planning to bring portable foods with you for the day? Pack peanut butter/jelly sandwiches, protein bars and fruit to eat for the day? If you have/get a cooler, you could even bring things that need refridgeration.

I wouldn't even consider going without food for a day or even more than a few hours - once my blood sugar drops, I'm no good to anyone including myself.
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i havent but ive gone a day here and there without a glass of water..although it comes from other forms be it coffee or fruits
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

I tried one day fasting for a while a few years ago. It didn't suit me and I didn't lose much weight either. I'm in my fourth week of 5:2 and am amazed by several things

The weightloss - 5kg
    The waist - 9cm
    The cravings - gone! for the first time in my life.

Look into the links above. the 5:2 group ist great and the threads are full of good information. Just look into it.
  • ravenbard
    ravenbard Posts: 51
    Options
    Being a diabetic myself, I know what you mean about your blood sugar droppiing and that makes you have all kinds of bad symptoms...Furthermore, I would never consider fasting from fooe OR water. Why does anyone want to punish their body in that way??? That is rather immature if you ask me,, but who's asking.. just saying my own opinion.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    teach myself a little discipline at the same time. I am only thinking of trying this for a few weeks 3 max just until I get my mind on the right path.

There are better ways to get some discipline if that is your goal, it doesn't have to be H20 related.

good luck with the water fast and let us know how you made out with it. :flowerforyou:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I rather eat food!! :happy:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, there is a good fasting group here.
  • sawiemken
    sawiemken Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    just an option... you can make it a fruit and veggie day and take along all kinds of both.. apples, cut up oranges, canned pineapple, grapes, carrots, celery, grape/cherry tomatoes, pea pods, even soy beans that start frozen and let defrost as the day goes and peel and pop, I'm sure there are more veggies that are finger foods I just can't think of them right now.

A little planning can go a long way and leave you not feeling left out or hungry. I always tend to have at least an apple and some type of bar in my purse the bar is packed with protein (nuts mostly) or a fiber bar either way I will get full and it will hold me over mixed with the apple and if my option is to grab a 240 calorie bar or a hambuger I would like to choose the bar (I don't always but would like to). Just a suggestion.

A older man at work every thursday to cleanse his system has one apple for lunch, I don't know what breakfast or dinner is but Thursday lunch is always one apple. He's in his 70's and still going strong just can't hear well. ;)
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out "Eat Stop Eat" for some tips on doing this. I have done this type of fasting, on a Sunday (not religeous reasons) it just happens to be a day when I don't have social engagements and it is a nice day to end start the week off right. Btw it might be easier to start with a 18 hour or less fast to ease yourself into it, might make it easier to make the adjustment.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i do it every year during the lenten season (approximately 6 weeks) for religious reasons, not weight loss. a side benefit is that it does keep me mindful of what i eat the rest of the week.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    The closest I have come to this was not being able to eat all day due to getting bloodwork done after work. I was VERY cranky by dinner time and I felt I ate way more than I normally would have to compensate.

That's just me though
  • dberry360
    dberry360 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would suggest, doing a fasting day like that, would be do it on a day that doesn't require a lot of mental & physical energy output.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You are right that a severe restriction (for a short term) does change your attitude to food and hunger, a lot of what I thought was hunger was really habit and greed.

I've been doing 5:2 fasting for 10 months and find it very successful.
    That's 2 non-consecutive days of 600 calories only (500 for women) but still very different to nothing but water. I would struggle with water only days to be honest.

Have you researched Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat fasting method?
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Have you considered protein shakes as a meal replacement instead of fasting completely? I have done the protein shake thing and it was difficult enough, but effective. I would imagine I would be one cranky chick if I didn't eat all day, but that is just me. Check out Body by Vi protein powder..maybe that will spark your interest :wink:
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    My personal oppinion is this.......

if you think that will help your mind set, to help steer you from those bad choices on that day... and you keep telling yourself... this is my water day.. this is my water day.. this is my water day... then ultimately i think it could work.... if thats what it takes to help you then id support it..... i think i may be a little bit like you in that area.... once the junk day sits in i tend to OVEREAT my calories in bad foods... and im right back to square one.

i underestand that your body needs nutrients everyday to be fueled yada yada yada.... but i personally know that you are not going to die from flushing your system with water for a day. with that being said... you can add lemon juice to your water and some stevia in the raw (immitation sugar, but the stevia is organic).. and drink that... it helps flush out toxins and such like if you were to fast. plus it taste like lemonade and taste amazing cold...

just my thoughts. if it helps you mentally... then i would personally be up to try it for 3 weeks to get myself out of bad habit or routine.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If I ever feel out of control, I "fast" but it's more of a protein shake day. I have 4 or 5 usually in a day and then the next day, I do the same thing or I add in something simple like grilled veggies or a little chicken breast and slowly add things back in over the next week or 2, staying away from sugar and gluten-y things. I find that having a "reset" day helps me to focus on lots of things related to food - quality over quantity, "eat to live, don't live to eat", etc. This isn't IF or scientific in any way, it is just something I do if I feel like I need to get back on track.