Options
    A few questions:

What's your height?
    How many calories are you eating?
    Do you log absolutely everything?
    Do you use a food scale?
    Are you taking measurements?

What's your height? 5'6
    How many calories are you eating? I try to net 1200 but I eat about 1500-1600 and then burn about 400 with exercise.

Do you log absolutely everything? I log absolutely everything. I have a bottle (or two) of dry red wine every week so I don't know how that's affecting my weight loss. The wine ususally puts me over the 1500-1600.

Do you use a food scale? I do not have a food scale, I probably should get one. It seems like such a hustle though. I don't overeat, I try to eat to feel nourished rather than full.

Are you taking measurements? I haven't been taking measurements but I clearly should.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    A few questions:

1. What's your height? 5'-6"
    2. How many calories are you eating?
    3. Do you log absolutely everything?
    4. Do you use a food scale?
    5. Are you taking measurements?

I think questions #2 -#4 are the key to the scale issue. The measurements should be going down, but even at this stage you might only build 0.2 - 0.5lb of muscle per week (with really good nutritional plan), and you should be easily able to drop 1.5-2lb total/wk given the BF level (not meant to be rude).
  • Fab30s
    Fab30s Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your healthy routine and dedication! Keep going... don't give up!

I struggle with insulin resistance and PCOS so I, too, know what it's like to lose slowly. Due to my Metabolic issues, I need to keep my carbs very low (only veggie-sourced), my dietary fat high, and my protein adequate for my body weight. I work-out daily (cardio and strength training) and eat according to BMR/TDEE guidelines. Even so, I lose scale weight extremely slowly... 15-20lbs./year if I'm fortunate, despite my strict adherance to a healthy routine. That being said, I've lost a lot of inches, body fat% and improved my health considerably!

Weight loss is not linear. Scale weight doesn't tell you much at all. DITCH THE SCALE! Try it for a month. Go strictly by measurements, progress photos (just looking in the mirror isn't enough - sometimes we can't see the changes but they are visible in comparison photos), body fat %, and how your clothing fits! Seriously, I wish this was reinforced more often... people are so scale obsessed these days and it's not doing them any favours.

Are you getting stronger? Do you have more endurance? Has your health improved? The scale doesn't tell you any of that. Reflect on the non-scale changes you see in yourself - that's what counts. You can completely reshape your body without affecting your weight much... but it takes time. I simply strive to trust in the process, and keep going!

Thank you for your encouraging words. I am getting a tape measure tomorrow to start measurements. I am stronger, I am lifting heavier gradually, I can run 10 straight minutes now (I could only run 3 min at a time at the beginning of May), and I don't have muscle aches from working out anymore like I did a month ago. So I feel strong. I wish you too the best on your journey. Seems like you've got it covered.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    A few questions:

1. What's your height? 5'-6"
    2. How many calories are you eating?
    3. Do you log absolutely everything?
    4. Do you use a food scale?
    5. Are you taking measurements?

I think questions #2 -#4 are the key to the scale issue. The measurements should be going down, but even at this stage you might only build 0.2 - 0.5lb of muscle per week (with really good nutritional plan), and you should be easily able to drop 1.5-2lb total/wk given the BF level (not meant to be rude).

You're not being rude. But I wsh it was as easy for me as it is for you. I just don't know how much more to change my nutritional plan other than to reduce calories and be hungry all the time
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    A few questions:

What's your height?
    Do you use a food scale?

What's your height? 5'6
    How many calories are you eating? I try to net 1200 but I eat about 1500-1600 and then burn about 400 with exercise.

Do you log absolutely everything? I log absolutely everything. I have a bottle (or two) of dry red wine every week so I don't know how that's affecting my weight loss. The wine ususally puts me over the 1500-1600.

Do you use a food scale? I do not have a food scale, I probably should get one. It seems like such a hustle though. I don't overeat, I try to eat to feel nourished rather than full.

Are you taking measurements? I haven't been taking measurements but I clearly should.

Just as a comparison, I'm 183 lbs, don't work out nearly what you do and I eat 1650 a day and I'm losing still. I still need to go up a bit to get to the proper calorie intake, just being lightly active as I am. You might need more fuel. Maybe take a look at the Eat More to Weight Less group. I think you might like it.

:)
  • Fab30s
    Options
    Without nosing around on your diary I'd guess you aren't eating enough. That seems to be the issue with a lot of people who are working as hard as you are. I'd suggest you checkout IPOARM, it might help! :) (search for IPOARM in the forums)

I'll search for IPOARM but am pretty sure am eating enough. I try not to stay hungry long, and eat enough to feel nourished. If I eat more then I'll just be uncomfotably full.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    oops, duplicate
  • Fab30s
    Options
    A few questions:

What's your height?
    Do you use a food scale?

What's your height? 5'6

Just as a comparison, I'm 183 lbs, don't work out nearly what you do and I eat 1650 a day and I'm losing still. I still need to go up a bit to get to the proper calorie intake, just being lightly active as I am. You might need more fuel. Maybe take a look at the Eat More to Weight Less group. I think you might like it.

:)

That's interesting. I'll check it out.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    First make sure you are getting in enough calories per day. Second, you should check to see if you are sensitive to any foods. I had the same issue and the scale wasn't showing any change. Finally I got checked and found out I was sensitive to wheat, gluten and corn....which was keeping my weight on. You should check to see if you have allergy to eggs, dairy, nuts, etc.

what a difference! read up on going wheat/gluten free. Go on websites to look for guidance. GoodLuck:smile:

That's interesting. I'll see what my doctor can find.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Studies show that women who are not dieticians underestimate their calories by over 400 calories per day and dieticians underestimate theirs by around 200.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160

I'd start with that. Log accurately for a few weeks and see if there are any changes. If you still aren't losing consider changing your calorie goal.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    Change your routine...From what I read, it sounds like your body is resisting fat loss because you are pushing yourself too hard and you are potentially cutting out important natural fats and sugars, which your body needs to function and burn fat properly. You body is probably thinking your are trying to starve it.
    Ignore this.
    Add some variety to your diet. Don't just have salad and chicken. Try fish, red meats, home made vegetable soups etc. Don't cut out fruits and veggies which carries natural oils, fats and sugars either, you dont want to upset your natural metabolism. Dont be affraid of healthy carbs. I know a lot of people are very anti carbs, but when you lose weight your are already depriving your body of certain foods and nutrients. Your body needs fuel, not just for energy but for other cellular functions in your body as well. (I am not saying to go eat a loaf of bread and a bowl of pasta everyday).
    Well, this is true. Breath air also.
    Ease off the weights and focus on a variety of cardio workouts. Try new things. Get your heart rate up and your lungs working. Try cycling, swimming and running. Dont forget to take a break either. A break can be just as good as a workout every now and again. Pushing yourself too hard is just added stress and pressure and eventually you will become run down, tired and give up.
    Ignore this very much.
    Negative. Keep going with the progressive training. Add or change only if you have time and energy.

What is your weight training program?

I'd add that question to the list of good questions.

Up until today I wasn't using a weight training program, I was just doing three sets of 10 reps. I do barbell squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, dumbbell onearm kickbacks, one arm dumbbell rows, shoulder presses with dumbbells. However I started the 5x5 strong lifts today and these were my starting weights
    Squats, deadlifts, barbell rows- 80lbs
    Overhead press-40lbs

I am not ignoring cardio, actually do more of it- an hour everyday- tennis or running/walking
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Change your routine...From what I read, it sounds like your body is resisting fat loss because you are pushing yourself too hard and you are potentially cutting out important natural fats and sugars, which your body needs to function and burn fat properly. You body is probably thinking your are trying to starve it.
    Ignore this.
    Add some variety to your diet. Don't just have salad and chicken. Try fish, red meats, home made vegetable soups etc. Don't cut out fruits and veggies which carries natural oils, fats and sugars either, you dont want to upset your natural metabolism. Dont be affraid of healthy carbs. I know a lot of people are very anti carbs, but when you lose weight your are already depriving your body of certain foods and nutrients. Your body needs fuel, not just for energy but for other cellular functions in your body as well. (I am not saying to go eat a loaf of bread and a bowl of pasta everyday).
    Ease off the weights and focus on a variety of cardio workouts. Try new things. Get your heart rate up and your lungs working. Try cycling, swimming and running. Dont forget to take a break either. A break can be just as good as a workout every now and again. Pushing yourself too hard is just added stress and pressure and eventually you will become run down, tired and give up.
    Ignore this very much.
    Negative. Keep going with the progressive training. Add or change only if you have time and energy.

Up until today I wasn't using a weight training program, I was just doing three sets of 10 reps. I do barbell squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, dumbbell onearm kickbacks, one arm dumbbell rows, shoulder presses with dumbbells. However I started the 5x5 strong lifts today and these were my starting weights
    Overhead press-40lbs

I am not ignoring cardio, actually do more of it- an hour everyday- tennis or running/walking

great that you started stronglifts. take measurements to see your progress other than numbers on the scale. soon you won't care about the number on the scale but the inches that you lose. I could give more advice is your diary was open.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Studies show that women who are not dieticians underestimate their calories by over 400 calories per day and dieticians underestimate theirs by around 200.

I'd start with that. Log accurately for a few weeks and see if there are any changes. If you still aren't losing consider changing your calorie goal.

I'll look for one tomorrow. I am not sure I'll be able to find one around here but I'll definitely look for one. Thank you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I'll look for one tomorrow. I am not sure I'll be able to find one around here but I'll definitely look for one. Thank you.

I got mine at walmart.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Ignore this.
    Ignore this very much.

Overhead press-40lbs

Fantastic!

Then now that you have a training program, a food scale - you will see changes. Don't let your mind be a trap. Just do, repeat, do. Give your self time to succeed. A month, two or three and you will be amazed at the change. Take pictures and measurements because your mind is a poor judge.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I skimmed through the posts here, but just incase I over looked it, how long has it been since you saw a loss on the scale? Just because you hit a plateau, doesn't necessarily mean you aren't doing everything right. You could be doing everything right, which seems like you have been. It can just take a while for your body to catch up. I was recently in a plateau for about 2-3 weeks.. But patience is key. I was losing inches and feeling better, eating great 90% of the time, working out, but the scale wasn't moving. Then all of a sudden it just started dropping again. So I would just say keep doing what you're doing and eventually the results will come. Like someone else said, weight-loss isn't linear. Your weight is going to fluctuate day to day. That's normal. And I'm glad to hear you will start taking measurements.

But I also agree on not cutting out avocado. It's extremely good for you. And has plenty of healthy fats. You don't need to avoid fats.. Just the bad ones. But even bad ones every once in awhile aren't going to kill you. I would also say not to cut out yolks in the eggs. Egg yolks are more good for you then they are bad for you. I would never dream about cutting out egg yolks from my diet.

But really, moderation is what's important. Heck, I had 1 1/2 glazed donuts yesterday and a small slice of German Chocolate Cake today. Last week I had milk chocolate candy like 4 days out of the week. But I don't go over on my calories. I've been eating this stuff and I'm still losing weight. Sometimes splurging can actually break a plateau.. Some may disagree with me on this, but it's happened to me. So don't be so strict with your diet. Live a little! Just don't go overboard with it.. You do that, and I'm sure it'll cut some stress out of your life. Stress can keep you from losing weight (especially in women).

So good luck and I hope you break out of this rut real soon!
  • Fab30s
    Options

I got mine at walmart.

I live in Uganda. People don't use food scales. So it'll be hard for me to find one.
  • Fab30s
    Options
    Ignore this.
    Ignore this very much.

Overhead press-40lbs

great that you started stronglifts. take measurements to see your progress other than numbers on the scale. soon you won't care about the number on the scale but the inches that you lose. I could give more advice is your diary was open.

I've just opened up my diary for critiquing, it ain't all clean. I know the wine and beer are not good but I want to know if they're what's failing me. As for the whole milk, I am not always able to find skim milk where I live.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Ignore this.
    Ignore this very much.

Overhead press-40lbs

I've just opened up my diary for critiquing, it ain't all clean. I know the wine and beer are not good but I want to know if they're what's failing me. As for the whole milk, I am not always able to find skim milk where I live.

It doesn't need to be all clean. Hit your calories, macros and get nutritional variety. 70-80% local food of quality and a few treats is fine.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I got mine at walmart.

I live in Uganda. People don't use food scales. So it'll be hard for me to find one.

I can see how that would make it more difficult. If you can't find one then the next best thing is measuring cups/spoons. It's not as accurate but it's better than eyeballing. If you don't have that, then the next next best thing is to familiarize yourself with some visual cues for serving sizes. A serving of meat is the size of a deck of cards. Half a cup is the size of a tennis ball, etc. That's not going to be nearly as accurate but it should get your started.