Protein powder shopping

Options

Replies

• Courtney_0402
    Options
    BSN Lean Dessert Brand... they come in different and delicious flavors. For $20 a tub... it's not that bad of investment.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I know Costco has some decent deals on protein powder. Also ebay or Amazon.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options

OH YEAH cause i believe all that crap on livestrong...hahahahaha PROTEIN IS AWESOME and it is phenomenal in helping weight loss and muscle building. you even burn calories using that "excess" protein as energy. Okay so 400g a day is a bit much, but easily 30=40% of daily calories are great from liquid or solid protein.

to the O.P. I get mine from bodybuilding.com Optimum is some of the best tasting i have found. The casein goes GREAT in pudding i also love vpx n.o.shotgun pre-workout
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I like EAS Vanilla the best - bought it on Amazon but I think Walmart sells it too. I haven't looked. I also like peanut butter Truetein which I ordered online. I don't like it as well as the vanilla though. I generally drink it with organic skim milk or vanilla unsweetened almond milk.

The vanilla cures my sweet tooth when I really really really want some ice cream. Mixed with the vanilla unsweetened almond milk the calories are pretty low.
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Protein Supplements and Muscle Building
    Perhaps the biggest myth and biggest surprise is that protein supplements are not proven to build muscle. According to the University of Missouri, despite the vast claims that nutrition companies may make, protein supplements are not clinically proven to enhance muscle development, strength or endurance. It is proven that excessive amounts of protein can hinder athletic performance and sabotage your fat loss goals, however.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/407764-protein-powder-myth/#ixzz2V0oSkScw

What in the world...?

Who thinks protein supplements build muscle? A protein supplement is no different from eating something that contains protein... as in, your body needs protein in conjunction with exercise/weight lifting to build muscle. It doesn't matter where that protein comes from. In fact, the University of Missouri CONTRADICTS all the other nonsense in that Livestrong article.

For example:

"The body can’t tell the difference between protein obtained from food and protein obtained from expensive protein supplements."

Read that again.

CANNOT. TELL. THE. DIFFERENCE.

http://extension.missouri.edu/extensioninfonet/article.asp?id=3603

Of course, just eating protein alone won't build muscle. If you're sitting around on the couch all day and chug a protein shake you won't get buff. Just like if you're sitting around on the couch all day and eat a steak. If that's the "biggest surprise" to anyone I question the intelligence of the livestrong readers.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    reflex instant whey is the best - 80% protein, low carb and low fat. Its also cheaper than most powders on the market. It can be bought online, in holland and barrett or GNC

http://www.reflex-nutrition.com/instant-whey.html/
  • simoneg14
    simoneg14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use chocolate Muximusle High Protein Promax and it taste great with just water.
  • Aellyn
    Aellyn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use chocolate Muximusle High Protein Promax and it taste great with just water.

I use this protein and the vanilla flavor though I prefer drinking it with milk. As for the cost, I have no idea since my hubby buys it for us. Sorry. Good luck finding one you luck that fits in your budget.
  • ADixie4You2Know
    ADixie4You2Know Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Cellucor makes delicious whey protein. Mixes completly with a few shakes and tastes like a milkshake in just water. You can get it at bodybuilding.com reasonably priced or go to cellucor.com and use coupon code KYLETHEGIRL to save 20%.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    "The body can’t tell the difference between protein obtained from food and protein obtained from expensive protein supplements."

Read that again.

Of course, just eating protein alone won't build muscle. If you're sitting around on the couch all day and chug a protein shake you won't get buff. Just like if you're sitting around on the couch all day and eat a steak. If that's the "biggest surprise" to anyone I question the intelligence of the livestrong readers.

I have wondered about that. The protein supplement I use most now is whey and at times I have used ricotta cheese in my diet which is also whey but with less processing, a shorter shelf life and it requires refrigeration (and I haven't tried it, but I bet it tastes pretty nasty in a smoothie :tongue: ). I really had no reason to think it is any better for me than whey powder, but the "real food" folks did have me wondering. Thanks for the link!
  • mnfrank11
    mnfrank11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    BSN Lean Dessert Brand... they come in different and delicious flavors. For $20 a tub... it's not that bad of investment.

I use the Whipped Vanilla flavor of this protein powder as well and LOVE it. I usually mix it with Cinnamon, 1/2 cup (4oz) of Almond Milk and the rest water. It's a great dinner meal replacement for me in that I'm not really big on eating a lot at night when I get home from work.

I've tried Target brand Vanilla protein and it was awful (ick!) but some people say they can't tell much of a difference between brands. I have stayed with Lean Dessert and love it. I order it on Amazon, however I don't take it daily.
  • FezzesRCool
    Options
    I just bought a container of Muscle Milk chocolate powder. I love the shakes and given that just buying this is cheaper than one bottle after the other, I went for it. The price seems average for powder at $24.99, but I like it. I plan to mix it with Blue Diamond Almondmilk Coconut Milk Blend Sweetened Vanilla. It's healthier than even skim milk. Fewer calories, no cholesterol and more calcium.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Extreme Milk Chocolate or Mocha Cappuccino

You're welcome.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    but some people say they can't tell much of a difference between brands.

I am one of those when it comes to "100%" (not technically correct since they are flavored) whey powders. With soy, there is a world of difference between brands IMO. I think it is because there is such a strong taste to try to alter with soy while plain whey is pretty bland.
  • 111orBust
    111orBust Posts: 41
    Options
  • Angeldach
    Angeldach Posts: 56
    Options
    I get mine at the Vitimin Shoppe. Just beware of the flavors, they have tons but they don't all taste good. It's usually trial and error, but if you listen to other opinions it might be easier.Just always get the smallest container first...just in case.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    See you are in the UK....

Maximuscle have a "warehouse clearance" deal on at at the moment...

2x Mini Promax (454g) for £25 (free delivery)

http://www.maxishop.com/special-offers/2x-mini-promax-454g-for-25
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the biggest myth and biggest surprise is that protein supplements are not proven to build muscle. According to the University of Missouri, despite the vast claims that nutrition companies may make, protein supplements are not clinically proven to enhance muscle development, strength or endurance. It is proven that excessive amounts of protein can hinder athletic performance and sabotage your fat loss goals, however.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/407764-protein-powder-myth/#ixzz2V0oSkScw

What in the world...?

Who thinks protein supplements build muscle? A protein supplement is no different from eating something that contains protein... as in, your body needs protein in conjunction with exercise/weight lifting to build muscle. It doesn't matter where that protein comes from. In fact, the University of Missouri CONTRADICTS all the other nonsense in that Livestrong article.

For example:

Read that again.

Amen^
    Most drink the protein supplements/shakes for the added protein, just to get more protein. It's not because they think they will magically become buff over night!
    My boyfriend drinks them for added calories and added protein. He also works out like a motha!... so he needs it to keep his muscles happy!
    Oh forgot to add he uses the Whey Protein - his favorite flavors - chocolate and also the vanilla.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBc9wZkto1I

Stick with ON
    EAS, GNC are crap brands. been shown to have high amount of heavy metals.
    heavy-metals-in-protein-drinks.jpg
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I recommend to eat REAL food.

"""""Perhaps the biggest myth and biggest surprise is that protein supplements are NOT proven to build muscle. """

PROTEIN POWDER MYTH
    Among the thousands of dietary supplements that are for sale, protein shakes and powders are among the most popular. Whether your goal is to gain muscle, lose fat or get stronger for your sport, protein is an essential component to your diet. Proponents of these supplements claim that protein shakes and powders promote lean muscle gain and can prevent muscle loss when dieting. Before you purchase any protein supplements, you should understand how to use these supplements and consult your healthcare provider to see if you really need them.

Protein Shakes and Fat Gain
    One of the biggest misconceptions is that dietary protein, whether in solid food or liquid shake form, cannot turn to fat. Protein, just like dietary fat and carbohydrates, can be stored on your body as fat if you eat too much of it. As Vanderbilt University explains, dietary protein is seldom used for energy, so if your body does not use it for muscle growth or repair, there is a good chance that it will be stored as fat. Also like dietary fat and carbohydrates, any calories that come from excess dietary protein will be stored as fat.

Protein and Muscle
    Another misconception is that "the more protein you eat, the more muscle you will gain." This is not true. After you have reached your dietary protein requirements, any further protein consumption will be stored as fat or encourage several other undesirable side effects. Excess protein can cause kidney stress. When you eat or drink excessive amounts of protein, your kidneys must work harder to process the protein. Excess protein intake can lead to dehydration as well since your body and kidneys require more water to process the protein. Over time, eating too much protein could predispose you to osteoporosis because excess protein causes calcium to excreted through the urine. A calcium deficiency can cause weak bones and promote osteoporosis.

Working Out and Protein Supplements
    Despite the enormous popularity of popularity supplements, chances are, you probably do not need a protein supplement. Your protein requirements can be easily reached with solid food alone. Northwestern University confirms this and states that a balanced diet is the key to building muscle and thus encourages you to skip the protein shakes. Remember, protein supplements just like any other dietary supplement are meant to be used to replace nutrients that your solid food diet lacks. It is highly unlikely that you have a protein deficiency. Contact your doctor or a registered dietitian if you need help determining your protein requirement.

Protein powder is not proven. Just like chicken. Protein as a macronutrient itself is proven.

Bone health- LOL this study was a garbage study. You cannot give someone a pure protein diet and not expect something to happen. high protein intake with adequate vit d and calcium helps bone health

Muscle building?
    no. 1 Registered dietician said it was unnecessary. She also posted no studies

what studies are you talking about? you are saying information that is extremely wrong