Trying Crossfit

Options

Replies

• MadisonLeo
    MadisonLeo Posts: 89
    Options
    Crossfit is the reason I have not only lost weight, but for the first time in my life I am strong. I can lift heavy objects, including my own weight, I can run up inclines without becoming winded and I have muscle definition! LOVE IT AND YOU WILL TOO!!

Keep it mind, it is probably one of the hardest things you will do besides childbirth lol. But it also makes you mentally tough and once you start, it will easily become your favorite thing to do because you will be seeing results quickly.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    I am almost a month in. I have a love/ hate relationship with it. I thought it would get easier as the time went on, however I was so wrong lol. Feel free to add me. I feel amazing after workout, during the workout is a completely different story lol. Good Luck

If you are having that difficult of a time getting through your workout, you should ask your coach for more modifications. It's better to be safe and scale back a bit then to push your body too hard and get injured, have a heat stroke, etc. -- especially during the hot summer weather.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I am almost a month in. I have a love/ hate relationship with it. I thought it would get easier as the time went on, however I was so wrong lol. Feel free to add me. I feel amazing after workout, during the workout is a completely different story lol. Good Luck

If you are having that difficult of a time getting through your workout, you should ask your coach for more modifications. It's better to be safe and scale back a bit then to push your body too hard and get injured, have a heat stroke, etc. -- especially during the hot summer weather.

Yea I scale every workout. My coaches are great. I'm never pushed to do more than I can handle. The workouts are tough for me but there is people who been there for months and have a difficult time getting through the workouts. Bottom line is the workouts are hard but they won't kill you. The coaches at my box pay way to much attention to form to let anyone get injured over stupidity. Thanks for your advice but I am modifying.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

It’s addicting for a lot of reasons, the different work outs, the people, the coaches who push you, the clock.

When I go to boot camp, we have different workouts every time and a coach and friends in class that encourage us. I go 2 or 3 times a week, but am not addicted.

The points I am making are (1) Having different workouts in a fitness class is not unique to Crossfit (2) Having a motivational coach is not unique to Crossfit (3) having a sense of community at an exercise class to help keep you motivated is not unique to Crossfit (4) There is no reason to become addicted to a fitness program to show up at class and enjoy the experience.

We were all waiting for this......

there is nothing wrong with liking to work out - stop taking "addicting" so literal
    When you "like" and "enjoy" something you want to stay with it.....most reasons people also get married to someone...date...swim...marathons...tough mudders...sports....

people join CF for the workouts and the camaraderie......I joined rugby for the same reason..it's a family and last I checked being "addicted" to something you love, like or consider family isn't such a terrible thing -- call me crazy...
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i have been doing crossfit for just over one year now. 4-5 times a week.

nothing has ever pushed and motivated me to want to be healthier, stronger, more energized.

i started there weighing over 200lbs, and not able to even run around the building one time without getting winded and having to stop. i'm down almost 25lbs now. i can run more than a mile without stopping. i can lift and squat and do push ups and swing kettlebells and a number of other things.

.... i still can not do a single pull up without a band to assist me.

if you stick with it, you will not regret it. it is not weight loss. it is life changing.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread has made me more interested in cross fit.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options

if you stick with it, you will not regret it. it is not weight loss. it is life changing.

Actually, that can be said of nearly any kind of long term fitness program. If you stick with anything, your life changes and you get results.

My YMCA has a great weight loss and strength training program that provides community support, nutritional guidance and a wide range of cardio and strength training fitness activities for a very reasonable price. Plus, they have a follow-up program for those who want to make sure they maintain their loss.

So it's a good idea to shop around and see what's out there before you decide where you want to invest your time and money.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

That can be said of nearly any kind of fitness program.

you must go to boot camp
  • bowhuntr09
    bowhuntr09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    OP, glad you enjoyed it and decided to give it a 1 month try. I just started my second month and see myself sticking with this.

Any CF friendly people in this thread feel free to add me, always nice to have like minded friends for encouragement and motivation!
  • annagoodner
    annagoodner Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    OP, glad you enjoyed it and decided to give it a 1 month try. I just started my second month and see myself sticking with this.

Any CF friendly people in this thread feel free to add me, always nice to have like minded friends for encouragement and motivation!

How was your first month? Are you feeling stronger/seeing physical changes?
  • WillieMN
    WillieMN Posts: 51 Member
    Options

you didn't post this to me, but I'm officially on my 2nd week at an official CF gym. I've been doing body weight, circuits or adapting WOD from the official site and had a great time. After research and finding out what is available at a CF I feel I made a sound decision that was suited to me and joined. Today, for the first time ever I attempted dips on the rings! The trainer was great, knew how to teach the movements and scale accordingly to our ability.

There is a cost for CF gyms but if you go enough and make use of the skills and foundations classes, I feel it's a great deal and an investment that can add quality to my life.

CF may not be for everyone, but it's nice to have it out there for those of us who enjoy it and continue to be supportive of each other. :happy:
  • bowhuntr09
    bowhuntr09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

First week was brutal as far as soreness, by the second week that was over. Right now I'm going 3 days a week but plan to do 4 or 5 days eventually. I joined as unlimited so I can go as often as I like. I really want to keep up my running which I just started this past February so I'm just trying to work it all into a schedule I can handle. I can see obvious changes in my arms and shoulders at this point, but I feel stronger in my core and I know my cardio is improving as well. My recovery times, general tiredness and soreness form the workouts is getting better and better each week. I just have to keep telling myself Rome wasn't built in a day. ;-)
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Just be careful you don't over-do it or let the coaches push you too hard. When your body has to spend a significant amount of energy repairing damaged muscle tissue from heavy workouts, things can start to go wrong with your health. Over exercising, or overexertion, can be more harmful to your health than some people realize.

http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/exercise-overexertion

Are you serious?! Is it your mission in life to find every person who considers CF and talk them out of it? Do you picket outside of your local CF gym and tell people how DANGEROUS it is? Get over yourself. For real.

OP, I'm sure you've found by now that the coaches aren't there to "push you too hard", but rather to make sure you are using proper form and range of motion prior to adding weight/intensity. If that's not the case, find a new box.
  • WillieMN
    Options
    Negative and insulting talk about our choices of fitness is going to be reported. Please, if you have nothing nice to say...you don't need to come here.
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I agree...glad you are giving it a try. I've been doing it regularly for 5 months now and I love it. It kicks my *kitten* everyday I do it but the feeling after you finish is awesome! Work hard and push yourself but don't be afraid to scale it. Doing the WOD Rx is always tough so many scale it.

Good luck and feel free (and any other crossfitter) to add me. The more people doing it and encouraging each other the better!
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Just be careful you don't over-do it or let the coaches push you too hard. When your body has to spend a significant amount of energy repairing damaged muscle tissue from heavy workouts, things can start to go wrong with your health. Over exercising, or overexertion, can be more harmful to your health than some people realize.

http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/exercise-overexertion

Are you serious?! Is it your mission in life to find every person who considers CF and talk them out of it? Do you picket outside of your local CF gym and tell people how DANGEROUS it is? Get over yourself. For real.

OP, I'm sure you've found by now that the coaches aren't there to "push you too hard", but rather to make sure you are using proper form and range of motion prior to adding weight/intensity. If that's not the case, find a new box.

^^^^^^this! I thought it was the same person fron the other CF thread that got shut down last week. Let it go
  • WillieMN
    Options

We were all waiting for this......

there is nothing wrong with liking to work out - stop taking "addicting" so literal
    When you "like" and "enjoy" something you want to stay with it.....most reasons people also get married to someone...date...swim...marathons...tough mudders...sports....

people join CF for the workouts and the camaraderie......I joined rugby for the same reason..it's a family and last I checked being "addicted" to something you love, like or consider family isn't such a terrible thing -- call me crazy...

+1 People should try to bring others up, not push them down. :flowerforyou:
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    Be careful: the poster formerly known as Health_Gal will spam anyone who does or is interested in CrossFit. We've all had to report and block her for harassment.

That said, WELCOME! We have a community here -- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/116-crossfit-love -- on MFP.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Never in my life have I been able to do a pull up. I really hope I can work up to doing one :)
    Neither could I when I started Crossfit (1 year ago) - now I can do 5 strict ones without a band - it took me a year but I did it! And so will you!
  • foot56
    foot56 Posts: 44
    Options
    The bottom line is this, if you enjoy it, feel that you're getting what you want from it, that's all that matters. I never been pushed so hard in my life and feel amazing. I also met some really great people in my community. That's the bottom line.